UCLA or UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BTW if you guys dont know UCSF ranked 4th on board scores last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Dre,
If you had gone UCLA last year, you wouldn't have had to defend so much for UCSF : ) But I know that you made the right decision and never regret for a second. At first, I was quite "disturbed" when some bashed about UCSF. But I guess I don't care anymore. I love this place. That's all it matters.

luder98 said:
Dre,
If you had gone UCLA last year, you wouldn't have had to defend so much for UCSF : ) But I know that you made the right decision and never regret for a second. At first, I was quite "disturbed" when some bashed about UCSF. But I guess I don't care anymore. I love this place. That's all it matters.

I aggree I am 100000% happy with my decision. Personally especially after doing undergrad at UCLA, volunteering at the UCLA dental clinic, UCLA mobile clinic, taking the summer denture course at UCLA and doing research at UCLA dental school for 3 years, I would always choose UCSF over UCLA. I have been emerged in both school, I know both schools, faculty, and the way they run their clinics, and I feel I am happier at UCSF than I would ever be at UCLA. Even one of the faculties at UCLA i did research with, told me to go to UCSF instead. I think that says something. But each person has their own opinion based on their experiences. Based on mine, I chose UCSF with no regrets.

Members don't see this ad :)
DREDAY said:
what kind of research oppportunities do UCLA studnets have?

Major Research Areas

Bioengineering and biotechnology
Renowned basic and clinical scientists from UCLA’s Schools of Dentistry, Medicine and Engineering work together to bridge the gap between biomedicine and biotechnology. A world leader in the field of maxillofacial prosthetics, scientists from the Weintraub Center for Reconstructive Biotechnology conduct diverse interdisciplinary projects ranging from genome analysis, genetic engineering and stem-cell research to develop biomaterials for improved implant and computerized scaffolding.

Bone biology, development, diseases and diagnostics
Interdisciplinary research ranges from projects in basic bone biology, including genomics and stem-cell research, to diagnosis of bone disorders and predictive clinical and radiographic screening methods for osteoporosis. Studies of biological mechanisms of bone development and metabolism and analyses of genetic, hormonal, growth, cytokine and other factors involved are translated to clinical applications in diagnosis and treatment of maxillofacial and general bone health and pathology.

Cancer biology, prevention, and diagnosis
The UCLA School of Dentistry conducts basic and applied research into the genesis, molecular mechanisms, prevention and treatment of cancer. Affiliated faculty from the School of Dentistry, the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center (http://www.cancer.mednet.ucla.edu/ ) and the Dental Research Institute collaborate on studies related to diagnosis and treatment of Head and Neck Cancer while public health clinical researchers study noninvasive means of diagnosis and treatment at UCLA. Molecular biology research focuses not only on oral cancer, but on oncogenesis and other cancer-related issues. Exciting and promising research projects are currently underway to use saliva as a non-invasive approach to diagnose cancer. Exciting gene therapy research and clinical trials are next steps to comprehensively study the impact of oral cancer on the public.

Community and public health services
The School of Dentistry has a strong commitment to improving the oral health of individuals in Los Angeles and throughout California, especially in underserved areas. Community based dental health services research is ongoing to inform the needs of the profession and the local community. We are working to understand the information needs and decision-making strategies of underserved patients with oral surgery patients. In collaboration with Rand Corporation, we are studying ways to reduce the burden of disease among the States’ most disadvantaged individuals. As part of a nationwide program to develop stronger dental education system, we are testing new methods for dental education delivery. In cooperation with community health centers and public schools, evaluate factors related to poor oral health. Research projects utilize diverse disciplines including anthropology, epidemiology, education, behavioral and other approaches.

Microbiology
Researchers at the School of Dentistry vow to fight dental diseases as infectious diseases! Collaborative teams use cutting-edge molecular and bioengineering approaches to oral health and disease. Supported by public, private, foundation, and corporate funding, research includes signal transduction, genomics and micro/nanotechnology studies are applied in oral-health related areas. Under ongoing patent protection we are developing advanced micro-sensor technology for plaque analysis (the “electronic tooth”) in conjunction with biomaterials and bioengineers at JPL and other researchers. In contrast, identification of the active components and mechanisms of action of Chinese medicinal herbs are also being investigated. Development of anti-microbial “smart bombs” for caries prevention might someday be applicable to infectious diseases in general. Monoclonal antibody-based bacterial detection techniques have been translated to clinical application and dental product companies are presently marketing our “Saliva-Check” testing strip, which allows chair-side evaluation of cariogenic bacteria levels. Collaboration between cancer and microbiology researchers is currently underway to pioneer salivary diagnostics using state-of-the-art nanotechnologies.

Neuromuscular problems, pain and neuroimmunology
The UCLA School of Dentistry has research programs which address the causes and management of orofacial and chronic pain, as well as other neuromuscular problems. Orofacial pain, trigeminal neuralgia, temporomandibular joint problems and obstructive sleep apnea are among the disorders studied. In addition to laboratory and clinical investigations on the use of anesthesiology for treatment of pain and anxiety, novel state-of-the-art molecular, microscopic, neurophysiological, and gene modulation/therapy techniques are applied to understanding and treating orofacial problems. Investigations on the molecular nature of neuro-immunological relationships involved in oral cavity conditions approached from a mind/body perspective are also being conducted at the UCLA School of Dentistry.

Still awake too dat_student? :)

dat_student said:
Major Research Areas

Renowned basic and clinical scientists from UCLA’s Schools of Dentistry, Medicine and Engineering work together to bridge the gap between biomedicine and biotechnology. A world leader in the field of maxillofacial prosthetics, scientists from the Weintraub Center for Reconstructive Biotechnology conduct diverse interdisciplinary projects ranging from genome analysis, genetic engineering and stem-cell research to develop biomaterials for improved implant and computerized scaffolding.

Interdisciplinary research ranges from projects in basic bone biology, including genomics and stem-cell research, to diagnosis of bone disorders and predictive clinical and radiographic screening methods for osteoporosis. Studies of biological mechanisms of bone development and metabolism and analyses of genetic, hormonal, growth, cytokine and other factors involved are translated to clinical applications in diagnosis and treatment of maxillofacial and general bone health and pathology.

The UCLA School of Dentistry conducts basic and applied research into the genesis, molecular mechanisms, prevention and treatment of cancer. Affiliated faculty from the School of Dentistry, the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center (http://www.cancer.mednet.ucla.edu/ ) and the Dental Research Institute collaborate on studies related to diagnosis and treatment of Head and Neck Cancer while public health clinical researchers study noninvasive means of diagnosis and treatment at UCLA. Molecular biology research focuses not only on oral cancer, but on oncogenesis and other cancer-related issues. Exciting and promising research projects are currently underway to use saliva as a non-invasive approach to diagnose cancer. Exciting gene therapy research and clinical trials are next steps to comprehensively study the impact of oral cancer on the public.

The School of Dentistry has a strong commitment to improving the oral health of individuals in Los Angeles and throughout California, especially in underserved areas. Community based dental health services research is ongoing to inform the needs of the profession and the local community. We are working to understand the information needs and decision-making strategies of underserved patients with oral surgery patients. In collaboration with Rand Corporation, we are studying ways to reduce the burden of disease among the States’ most disadvantaged individuals. As part of a nationwide program to develop stronger dental education system, we are testing new methods for dental education delivery. In cooperation with community health centers and public schools, evaluate factors related to poor oral health. Research projects utilize diverse disciplines including anthropology, epidemiology, education, behavioral and other approaches.

Microbiology
Researchers at the School of Dentistry vow to fight dental diseases as infectious diseases! Collaborative teams use cutting-edge molecular and bioengineering approaches to oral health and disease. Supported by public, private, foundation, and corporate funding, research includes signal transduction, genomics and micro/nanotechnology studies are applied in oral-health related areas. Under ongoing patent protection we are developing advanced micro-sensor technology for plaque analysis (the “electronic tooth”) in conjunction with biomaterials and bioengineers at JPL and other researchers. In contrast, identification of the active components and mechanisms of action of Chinese medicinal herbs are also being investigated. Development of anti-microbial “smart bombs” for caries prevention might someday be applicable to infectious diseases in general. Monoclonal antibody-based bacterial detection techniques have been translated to clinical application and dental product companies are presently marketing our “Saliva-Check” testing strip, which allows chair-side evaluation of cariogenic bacteria levels. Collaboration between cancer and microbiology researchers is currently underway to pioneer salivary diagnostics using state-of-the-art nanotechnologies.

The UCLA School of Dentistry has research programs which address the causes and management of orofacial and chronic pain, as well as other neuromuscular problems. Orofacial pain, trigeminal neuralgia, temporomandibular joint problems and obstructive sleep apnea are among the disorders studied. In addition to laboratory and clinical investigations on the use of anesthesiology for treatment of pain and anxiety, novel state-of-the-art molecular, microscopic, neurophysiological, and gene modulation/therapy techniques are applied to understanding and treating orofacial problems. Investigations on the molecular nature of neuro-immunological relationships involved in oral cavity conditions approached from a mind/body perspective are also being conducted at the UCLA School of Dentistry.

dat_student said:
Major Research Areas

Microbiology

thansk for that but I was talking in terms of GRANTS like does teh dental school offer D1s grants to do research?

L8DYV said:
Still awake too dat_student? :)

Yes, I am still awake. I am planning to stay awake the entire night ;)

Here are some more projects @UCLA School of Dentistry:

Some of the Current Funded Projects:

Active Grants and Contracts

Prostanoid Induction of Egr1 in Primary Osteoblasts
Craniofacial Conditions: A Developmental Perspective
Cellular Regulations by RB-Associated Proteins
Engineering Bone from Human Adipose Derived Stem Cells
Antimicrobial Gene Therapy
Inactivation of Cytotoxic Effectors in Oral Carcinomas
Genes Responsible for Senescence and Differentiation
Oxidative Stress, DNA Damage and Cellular Aging
Physiology of ATP Release in Chronic Pain
RAMP Involvement in PTH Regulation of Bone Metabolism
GP120 Independent Infection of CD4(-) Cells by HIV-1
HPV Genetic Instability & Oral Cancer
S. Mutans: Its Mutacin Antibiotic
Electronic Programs of Instruction in Removable Prosthodontics
etc
etc
etc

P.S. Dready, if you want I can list some more. Plus, I can give you the names of the primary researchers.

Studying for finals????

dat_student said:
Yes, I am still awake. I am planning to stay awake the entire night ;)

Here are some more projects @UCLA School of Dentistry:

Some of the Current Funded Projects:

Active Grants and Contracts

Prostanoid Induction of Egr1 in Primary Osteoblasts
Craniofacial Conditions: A Developmental Perspective
Cellular Regulations by RB-Associated Proteins
Engineering Bone from Human Adipose Derived Stem Cells
Antimicrobial Gene Therapy
Inactivation of Cytotoxic Effectors in Oral Carcinomas
Genes Responsible for Senescence and Differentiation
Oxidative Stress, DNA Damage and Cellular Aging
Physiology of ATP Release in Chronic Pain
RAMP Involvement in PTH Regulation of Bone Metabolism
GP120 Independent Infection of CD4(-) Cells by HIV-1
HPV Genetic Instability & Oral Cancer
S. Mutans: Its Mutacin Antibiotic
Electronic Programs of Instruction in Removable Prosthodontics
etc
etc
etc

P.S. Dready, if you want I can list some more. Plus, I can give you the names of the primary researchers.

DREDAY said:
DUDE I have written this before just because UCLA has a higher percentage of students specializing doesnt mean they are better at doing so than UCLA. It just so happens that UCLA has more students taht want to specialize and UCSF picks more students taht want to become GP.

THis year's match rate for UCSF =

OMFS: 6/6
Perio: 1/1
Endo: 1/1
Ortho: 5/6
Pedo: 13/16 (not 100% sure on this figure...)

THats a MATCH RATE OF 87%!!!! THATS AWESOME! If the majority of our class wanted to specialize SUCH AS HAPPENS AT UCLA, i guarantee our board scores would be higher. But it just so happens that UCSF's focus on its selection criteria is diff. BTW does UCLA have this summer off? or do you guys go to school this summer?

Your numbers don't match the numbers that are published by UCSF. We had a discussion about this and luder98's post/JPEG pic also confirmed the low specialization rate. In any case, please take a look at the published numbers:

Like I said Im wondering about how grants offered by UCLA to its D1s to do research? do they have any?

dat_student said:
Your numbers don't match the numbers that are published by UCSF. We had a discussion about this and luder98 posted similar stats. In any case, please take a look at the published numbers:

Those numbers just came out this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
DREDAY said:
Those numbers just came out this year.

I'll try to upload those JPEG pics again. Luder's pictures were for 2005. My pictures were for 2004. SDN doesn't let me repost the same pictures. I'll try to find a way to post them again for you. In any case, usually ~10% of UCSF students specialize and it usually isn't more than a dozen students. I think usually 10-13 UCSF students specialize. The final class size is ~100.

dat_student said:
I'll try to upload those JPEG pics again. Luder's pictures were for 2005. My pictures were for 2004. SDN doesn't let me repost the same pictures. I'll try to find a way to post them again for you. In any case, usually ~10% of UCSF students specialize and it usually isn't more than a dozen students. I think usually 10-13 UCSF students specialize. The class size is ~100.

2009 class size = 80 students. and like I said class of 2006 had 26 students get into specialty out of 30 that applied. THats 87%. AND THATS only specialty, not counting GPR and AEGDs. 26 students out of ~80 students = 33%.

DAT STUDENT you are still not answering my question

ARE grants offered by UCLA to its D1s to do research? do they have any?

DREDAY said:
2009 class size = 80 students. and like I said class of 2006 had 26 students get into specialty out of 20 that applied. THats 87%. AND THATS only specialty, not counting GPR and AEGDs. 26 students out of ~80 students = 33%.

UCSF magazine says 99 students. It includes the international students too.

Let's see, if 26 students got into specialty and 20 applied. that's 130% match rate. :)

I don't have an answer for your other question. I don't know. I believe UCLA is better for those who want to pursue a specialty or may consider that option 2 yrs from now. UCSF may be better for those who want to do DDS/PhD. UCSF has only 2 open positions for DDS+PhD. The other 80 students + the international students won't become a researcher. You can't become a researcher or world renowned by doing a short and shallow research in a few weeks. I'd also like to point out that some of the talents and researchers @UCSF are UCLA graduates (e.g. Dr. Janice Lee). UCSF also seems to fund the research projects of some professors @UCLA. For example, at least two of Dr. David T. Wong's research projects were partially funded by UCSF: #1 Molecular Predictors of Oral Cancer Development (July 1, 2002 – June 30, 2005) funded by UCSF/ UC TRDRP #2 Molecular Predictors of Oral Cancer Development(June 1, 2003 – March 31, 2004)funded by UCSF/NCI/NIH.

I believe UCLA students have a chance to do research with world renowned researchers. After UC Berkeley, UCLA takes the second place in the UC system based on the number of noble prize winners (5 faculty laureates and 4 alumni laureates)

You may also want to read this (2nd paragraph):

http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/NewsEvents/main.asp?id=560

"The UCLA School of Dentistry had another strong showing at the 83rd General Session & Exhibition of the IADR this winter quarter! Held March 9-12 in Baltimore , MD , the UCLA School of Dentistry won three prestigious awards and other honors which are highlighted in the Awards, Honors and Symposia section of this newsletter. With over 6,000 attendees, over 3,750 scientific presentations, and over 900 posters presented daily, our students again stood out as future researchers of tomorrow. "

dat_student said:

Let's see, if 26 students got into specialty and 20 applied. that's 130% match rate. :)

I don't have an answer for your other question. I don't know. I believe UCLA is better for those who want to pursue a specialty or may consider that option 2 yrs from now. UCSF may be better for those who want to do DDS/PhD. UCSF has only 2 open positions for DDS+PhD. The other 80 students + the international students won't become a researcher. You can't become a researcher or world renowned by doing a short and shallow research in a few weeks. I'd also like to point out that some of the talents and researchers @UCSF are UCLA graduates (e.g. Dr. Janice Lee). UCSF also seems to fund the research projects of some professors @UCLA. For example, at least two of Dr. David T. Wong's research projects were partially funded by UCSF: #1 Molecular Predictors of Oral Cancer Development (July 1, 2002 – June 30, 2005) funded by UCSF/ UC TRDRP #2 Molecular Predictors of Oral Cancer Development(June 1, 2003 – March 31, 2004)funded by UCSF/NCI/NIH.

Well let me tell you.. UCSF offers 20+ D1s a $5000 stipend to do research over the summer. Many of those 20 of the students go on to present their researtch at IADR/AADR with their trip paid for. This research opportunity gives dental students the opportunity to explore their fields of interest and get a better foundation and knowledge for what they want to specialize in.

dat_student said:

I believe UCLA students have a chance to do research with world renowned researchers. After UC Berkeley, UCLA takes the second place in the UC system based on the number of noble prize winners (5 faculty and 4 alumni)

You may also want to read this (2nd paragraph):

http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/NewsEvents/main.asp?id=560

"The UCLA School of Dentistry had another strong showing at the 83rd General Session & Exhibition of the IADR this winter quarter! Held March 9-12 in Baltimore , MD , the UCLA School of Dentistry won three prestigious awards and other honors which are highlighted in the Awards, Honors and Symposia section of this newsletter. With over 6,000 attendees, over 3,750 scientific presentations, and over 900 posters presented daily, our students again stood out as future researchers of tomorrow. "

dont get mer wrong UCLA has great researchers. But its UCSF who gets more funding for research BY A WIDE MARGIN. makes me wonder.

Taken from UCSF website:

The School of Dentistry ranks first among all U.S. dental schools in research funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This amounted to $28 million for FY 2003. The school has held this first-place ranking for the past 13 years.

make that 15 years because 2004 and 2005 same thing happened.

DREDAY said:
dont get mer wrong UCLA has great researchers. But its UCSF who gets more funding for research BY A WIDE MARGIN. makes me wonder.

Taken from UCSF website:

The School of Dentistry ranks first among all U.S. dental schools in research funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This amounted to $28 million for FY 2003. The school has held this first-place ranking for the past 13 years.

make that 15 years because 2004 and 2005 same thing happened.

True. Like I said if you want to become a researcher and do DDS+PhD (at least 8 yrs) UCSF may be a better option. If you want to do just DDS and at some point in the future may consider to pursue a specialty UCLA clearly stands out with much better stats, board exams and specialization rates.

dat_student said:
True. Like I said if you want to become a researcher and do DDS+PhD (at least 8 yrs) UCSF may be a better option. If you want to do just DDS and at some point in the future may consider to pursue a specialty UCLA clearly stands out with much better stats, board exams and specialization rates.

Like i said before, you cant make that assumption because jsut like you said UCSF draws people who are interested in research. WITH that said those there is LESS PEOPLE AT UCSF WHO WANT TO SPECIALIZE. THis means that LESS PEOPLE APPLY, AND PROBABLY DONT STUDY AS HARD FOR THE BOARDS. By comparing how good a school is at sending its students into specialty YOU CAN ONLY COMPARE MATCH RATES. Not percentage of total students who sepcialize.

DREDAY said:
Like i said before, you cant make that assumption because jsut like you said UCSF draws people who are interested in research. WITH that said those there is LESS PEOPLE AT UCSF WHO WANT TO SPECIALIZE. THis means that LESS PEOPLE APPLY, AND PROBABLY DONT STUDY AS HARD FOR THE BOARDS. By comparing specialization rates YOU CAN ONLY COMPARE MATCH RATES. Not percentage of total students who sepcialize.

Dready, are you saying UCSF intentionally selects those who (1)have lower GPAs and DATs, (2)are very very interested in research but (3) don't want to do serious research (i.e. DDS+PhD)??????? Some dental schools claim to have 100% match rates. They even publish their supposedly high match rates and mail those numbers along with interview invitations. When you inquire about it they say 1 person applied and got in so it's 100% match rate. At UCONN, the dean of admissions said it best: no student wants to do poorly on board exams and no school wants to accept students with low stats. If UCONN students do well on board exams and on avg get the 3rd highest board scores that is because UCONN prepares its students very well.

dat_student said:
Dready, are you saying UCSF intentionally selects those who (1)have lower GPAs and DATs, (2)are very very interested in research but (3) don't want to do serious research (i.e. DDS+PhD)??????? Some dental schools claim to have 100% match rates. They even publish their supposedly high match rates and mail those numbers along with interview invitations. When you inquire about it they say 1 person applied and got in so it's 100% match rate. At UCONN, the dean of admissions said it best: no student wants to do poorly on board exams and no school wants to accept students with low stats. If UCONN students do well on board exams and an avg get the 3rd highest board scores that is because UCONN prepares its students very well.

Except UCSF is sending 33% of its students to specialty right? And even though no student wants to do poorly on board exams, a student who wants to specialize has a much bigger desire and urge to do well on boards. Much of the drive to do well on boards stems from your desire to specialize. Btw, show me proof of that outrageous statement of a school has had 1 person get into specialty and claim they have 100% match rate.

This thread gets dumber and dumber every day. All it really helps me do is confirm that I made the right decision to not attend a UC for school this time around. In the end, your patients aren't going to give a rat's ass about match rates or which school has a higher concentration of nerds. The #1 thing that's going to keep a patient from suing you when you mess up, and everyone does mess up at some point, is how much they trust you and really think you are looking out for their best interests. If you guys need to be pompous pricks who never think they're wrong 24 hours/day, you should've gone to law school.

id love to pay any amount of money to go to either school.

crazy_sherm said:
This thread gets dumber and dumber every day.

Yes, it does. I feel like I'm watching battle of the supernerds.

drhobie7 said:

omg what have i done?!!?!?!?

i guess we can never get enough drama in our lives....hehe

kiggar4l2000 said:
Sweet thanks! although I can't say all your points were valid, but thanks nonetheless.

one thing though: your definition of "high-er caliber students" seems to reveal naivete on your part. if DAT and GPA scores are all you're considering then you should realize that both UCSF and UCLA could fill their classes with students with a 4.0 GPA and 29/30s on the DAT..or very close to it. so the discrepancy between the two schools in those stats says nothing about the students per se but says something about what UCSF and UCLA look for in its students. for the most part, UCLA wants to make sure its students do well on the board exam b/c that's what UCLA is known for: sending lots of students to specialty programs. i'll admit that UCLA is better...only slightly...in that category. UCSF ranked 4th last year and if UCLA were ranked higher say even 1st in the nation the difference in average board scores can't be more than 2.0, which ain't much. so that argument of that interviewer is weak...

what UCSF recognizes and wants for its students is to have a balanced education, to excel in all areas of dental education. certainly no school is perfect but yeah UCSF and UCLA are good for different things i guess. at UCSF, i can be sure that I could be a great GP and also a great specialist, if i so choose to pursue that path. but at UCLA, my friends tell me that it's either become a specialist or go through GPR to gain more clinical experience before becoming a GP (relatively more than UCSF). but seriously u should actually talk to students currently attending at UCLA.

having said all that, here's my stats: GPA: 3.89/3.92 DAT: 24/24/22. if i wanted to get 4.0 at Stanford, I think I could have but I was bogged down with leadership responsibilities and community service projects. sorry

kudos...!!!!! that was one hell of a rebuttal!!!

Mrxle3 said:
It seems like there is a large battle between kigglar and DrHobie, both who have tremendous pride for their respective schools. However, I don't see the point in bashing one or the other. Both are extremely great schools, and as Dr. X who interviewed me at UCLA said, "UCLA, UCSF, and Harvard are constantly competing for the title of best dental school in the nation." Personally, if I am accepted to UCLA, the decision will be extremely difficult. I like certain things about each school, and I dislike certain things about each school. In the end, no school is perfect, so I don't understand the point in pointing out that "UCSF has a better this" or "UCLA does this better." Let's have peace and realize the one absolute truth: both schools graduate excellent dentists because both schools are comprised of excellent students.

sure but i appreciate the debate. kigglar and DrHobie both raise some very interesting points. carry on guys!!! congrats on gettin into those great schools in such a great state that is full of great people and great beaches

fightingspirit said:
kudos...!!!!! that was one hell of a rebuttal!!!

Let's not start the whole thing over again.

drhobie7 said:
Let's not start the whole thing over again.

your rebuttals were great too. i truly learned a whole lot about not just the two schools but also about dental schools in general. carry on Drhobie!!

DREDAY said:
Btw, show me proof of that outrageous statement of a school has had 1 person get into specialty and claim they have 100% match rate.

University of Florida... dead serious

drhobie7 said:
I hadn't checked the dental forums for 12 hours, then I just perused them during my lunch and I find 50 new posts of 100% pure pissing-contest goodness. What the hell?

Go Bruins! (went there for undergrad, psyched about the ncaa tourney)

Go UCSF...! damn we dont have an athletic program...well cal's right around the corner..go bears! hahaha

you guys should just cool it with the arguments..they're gettin more repetitive and boring as the days go on. Let's argue about something more important...like who's going to the final four! haha

being a current undergrad UC student i always hear that UCSF has one of the best grad schools in the nation when it comes to med, pharm, dental,...
that is what they mainly focus on. now dont get me wrong, ucla is a great school with a even better grad program. the only difference i see personally is where you want to live. do you want to be at a school with a great D1 sports program and in the middle of a great city or do you want to concentrate on your school work only and have no sports team to cheer? everyone is going to give you a different answer

nyching30 said:
Go Bruins! (went there for undergrad, psyched about the ncaa tourney)

Go UCSF...! damn we dont have an athletic program...well cal's right around the corner..go bears! hahaha

you guys should just cool it with the arguments..they're gettin more repetitive and boring as the days go on. Let's argue about something more important...like who's going to the final four! haha

Well, I went to Cal so I'm rooting for them but not holding too much hope for the final 4. We did beat UCLA this year and lost a close one to them in OT so we got a good team.

Go BEARS!!!!!!!!

tofufob said:
PLEASE, STOP THE BATTLE OF SO CAL VS. NOR CAL. Have some considerations for us candidates who still have their interview result under the forever pending status at both schools. If you pick LA, great, time for you to go to the beach and get a tan. If you pick SF, great, eat dim-sum and go study under the golden gate bridge. Either way, just pick ONE! dammit... Give up your other spot already.
LOL.

Hey tofufob. Come to UCLA. We can use your humor here. LOL