UCLA (IS) vs. UCSF (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1152494

School 1: UCLA
IS
Pros:
  • Closer to home
  • Easier and cheaper housing situation
  • Familiarity with area around campus
Cons:
  • Location in terms of patient exposure (may be harder to find patients to complete clinical requirements??)
  • Weather, not a big fan of the heat
School 2: UCSF
IS
Pros:
  • More up to date facilities
  • Greater clinical exposure, easier to find patients
  • Living in a new city
Cons:
  • Higher cost of living
  • Harder to find housing
Summary: I am extremely grateful to receive an acceptance from both of these schools but I’m having a difficult time deciding between these 2 schools. They are both great schools that are comparable didactically and the opportunities for research. A part of me wants to move to experience life in a new city but cost is also a big factor. I have received an estimate on my financial aid from UCSF but not UCLA. I was wondering if any current students can weigh in on the grants they received from each of these schools and their experience with housing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
School 1: UCLA
IS
Pros:
  • Closer to home
  • Easier and cheaper housing situation
  • Familiarity with area around campus
Cons:
  • Location in terms of patient exposure (may be harder to find patients to complete clinical requirements??)
  • Weather, not a big fan of the heat
School 2: UCSF
IS
Pros:
  • More up to date facilities
  • Greater clinical exposure, easier to find patients
  • Living in a new city
Cons:
  • Higher cost of living
  • Harder to find housing
Summary: I am extremely grateful to receive an acceptance from both of these schools but I’m having a difficult time deciding between these 2 schools. They are both great schools that are comparable didactically and the opportunities for research. A part of me wants to move to experience life in a new city but cost is also a big factor. I have received an estimate on my financial aid from UCSF but not UCLA. I was wondering if any current students can weigh in on the grants they received from each of these schools and their experience with housing.
where do you see yourself practicing?

At your cons about UCSF and UCLA. SF and LA have about the same cost of living, just have to live within your means. I'm from LA and go to UCSF. Also, for your harder to get housing situation about UCSF we have student housing that you can apply for. Everyone I know that applied got placed in student housing. You also have the option of fraternity housing (have to apply for it) and also the private landlord route. Also, UCSF gives a cost of living supplement (when you don't live in student housing) if you qualify so take that into consideration as well.

For me, I live in student housing and it's a steal.

Reactions: 1 user