Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

UCLA or UoP?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by 2school4cool, Jan 7, 2009.

1. 2school4cool

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hmmm dilemma here: UCLA or UoP or Penn or Columbia? :confused: (i apologize if this is a redundant post)

anywho... i was JUST about to send in my deposit to UCLA, buuuut something is holding me back. what school would y'all choose?

UCLA: i had my heart set on this school since i decided to pursue dentistry. i've heard i should go here if i intend to specialize because if i just want to go into general, it may not be worth the effort. not 100% sure if i'mg going to pursue anything after ds, but i am considering endo or o.s. or research. plus, i'm incredibly nervous about going here because i'm super scared that i'll be at the bottom of my class and plus i'm highly intimidated by the competition. 4 years at ucla was hard enough, but i'm not too keen on more intense competition!

UoP: go here if i want to be a general practitioner. i've heard some amazing stuff about this place, but i'm worried about the 3 yr program and i've heard rumors that the graduates have to take a lot of continuing ed courses because they never learned some of the stuff... any confirmations on that?

the only reason i'd consider the 2 east coast schools is solely based on their locations. i've heard i should get out of so cal. but i heard the clinical is somewhat lacking at both schools.... i'm not too worried about price because i want to take out a military scholarship.

good luck with this cycle everybody! :luck:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. shoombol tallah

shoombol tallah Big Boy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    my vote is for pacific. Great school in a great location and 3 years too.

4. iJackTeeth

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    you see smell ay (UCLA), without a doubt

great school, great area, great weather, research if you like

I would definitely go to UCLA

5. iJackTeeth

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    are you waitlisted at UCLA or something?

6. shoombol tallah

shoombol tallah Big Boy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nope, why does me not picking UCLA bother you ? :)

7. iJackTeeth

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    neh baba!

8. Imanee

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    UoP is 3 years! If $ is not an issue, I would go there. Good luck with your very tough decision.:luck:

9. eternalxdemon

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I vote UoP... u want to get out of so cal? there you go... it's still in cali tho so u can fly back home to so cal any weekend... plane ticket's only about 60 bucks each way from SFO to Long Beach airport. and plus... how can you beat three years of school? :)

10. tranv117

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    UOP is three years, but you must also consider how intense those three years are going to be. I mean seriously, 4 years of dental school is tough enough, and to shorthen it to 3 years, its gotta be crazy! I think theres a reason why no one else offer 3 years of dental school. But either way, if it was my decision, I'd go to UCLA for financial reasons. Much cheaper since you're already a CA resident.

11. diagnodent

diagnodent Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    UOP is great but it costs lots. I don't know what the tuition difference is but if it significant I would go to Sucla. (fyi, i am a uop grad many moons ago). As far as continuing ed goes....most uop grads take a lot of CE b/c they are trained to take it during school. Think about all the great CE speakers out there and see how many are from UOP...lots---buchannan, hornbrook, dickerson, ruddle.

12. ramforte

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  13. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The 3 years will be more intense, but I heard from everywhere that it is VERY doable. Don't hassle over that.

So UCSF is P/NP but UCLA isn't?

14. xpheene

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    UCLA pho sho!!

15. Fonz

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    UCLA is P/NP. I personally don't know how long UoP school days run but I heard they were very long if someone can confirm. UCLA has the new curriculum gives students more free time during the week. I would hate to go 8a-5p or later for 5 days a week.

16. DuffMan01

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Depends on what you want to do after you graduate. If you want to specialize. Chose UCLA. If not, UOP. UOP is great because during your fourth year, you get paid! Also if you are a resident of California, UCLA is sooo much cheaper! The decision is up to you but there is no wrong of choosing one over the other because they are both awesome schools!

17. Californian

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    depends if you want to graduate 1yr earlier go to UOP
    if you want the school name and the prestige go to UCLA