UCLA or UPENN which is better????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kapadiakk

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello friends,
i have a choice b/w UCLA & upenn.
i have already paid my 5000$ deposit at UCLA.
& yesterday i got a call from PENN.
i am stuck with decision making now,
any thoughts on what should i chose???
help required,
as an international student i don't get to do any research , so my decision will be based upon future job prospects & the amount of clinical training offered!!!!
all inputs welcome
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

5000 dollar deposit :eek: is that only for international acceptances ? But you can't go wrong with either school. Depends on if you want to live in LA or Philly.

yes 5000$ non refundable deposit, seems to be a little high pitched & that too from a poor international dentist:(
anyways, i have heard that UCLA is famous only for its research & that its' clinical training is insufficient ??
is it so??
also are the job opportunities better in & around southern california as compared to Philly & surroundings???
UCLA is cheaper by about 25-27k than PENN for me.
any suggestions????:idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a LOT of dentists in California, especially in the LA area because everyone wants to live here. I don't know about Philly and surrounding areas however. It won't be hard at all to find work in LA but you might get paid more elsewhere.
UCLA does do a lot of research, but not as much as UCSF :)

yes 5000$ non refundable deposit, seems to be a little high pitched & that too from a poor international dentist:(
anyways, i have heard that UCLA is famous only for its research & that its' clinical training is insufficient ??
is it so??
also are the job opportunities better in & around southern california as compared to Philly & surroundings???
UCLA is cheaper by about 25-27k than PENN for me.
any suggestions????:idea:

5k deposit already paid + 30k cheaper = go to UCLA. I doubt the clinical experience is significantly different between the schools, and regardless of what school you go to a DDS is just a license to begin learning.

Southern California is one of the most saturated areas of the country with dentists. If it will be cheaper to go to UCLA, go there, especially since you already paid them $5000. You are not geographically bound to practice by where your dental school was located. You can always graduate from UCLA and practice anywhere in the US you choose.

5k deposit already paid + 30k cheaper = go to UCLA. I doubt the clinical experience is significantly different between the schools, and regardless of what school you go to a DDS is just a license to begin learning.
So wise. Many years of wisdom you must have.

Southern California is one of the most saturated areas of the country with dentists. If it will be cheaper to go to UCLA, go there, especially since you already paid them $5000. You are not geographically bound to practice by where your dental school was located. You can always graduate from UCLA and practice anywhere in the US you choose.

I thought there is a regional difference . . . . .

I thought there is a regional difference . . . . .

The only real potential difference is that most schools will prepare their students specifically for the regional boards, possibly making it easier for the students to pass. For example, most west coast schools teach to the WREB where as east coast schools teach to the NERB, though I think some east coast schools might be doing both these days.

That will all go out the window once ADEX gets going.