UCLA pre dental courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
antidote said:
Do you guys know anything about these?

http://www.dent.ucla.edu/sod/PreDent.html

has anyone here participated before?

I did the denture lab course. I thought it was an excellent course and I would highly recommend it. It really gave me the hands on experience in dentistry that I wanted to try before dental school. You actually make 1/2 a denture by melting wax onto the teeth. One note, this course was NOT easy. It requires patience and lots of practice. There is even a final. If you do well on the final, Mark will write you a LOR (only about 1/3 of the class got one). The course fills up pretty quickly, so reserve a spot ASAP!

Eddie830 said:
I did the denture lab course. I thought it was an excellent course and I would highly recommend it. It really gave me the hands on experience in dentistry that I wanted to try before dental school. You actually make 1/2 a denture by melting wax onto the teeth. One note, this course was NOT easy. It requires patience and lots of practice. There is even a final. If you do well on the final, Mark will write you a LOR (only about 1/3 of the class got one). The course fills up pretty quickly, so reserve a spot ASAP!

ditto. it was a fun class... and gives you a VERY VERY small insight into what dentistry is... you're only do a small part of the actual procedure in removeable partial denture... but definately worth the time and energy if you're interested in dentistry. [but then again i might be biased b/c prostho is one of my favorite parts of dental school so maybe that's why i loved the course...]

i heard the PAT course wasn't very helpful tho (sorry i didn't bother clicking on the link to see if it's still offered).

If you don't the the courses here, the professors are more than happy to spend time with you to help you improve upon your hand skills. At least that's what it felt like during our first dental waxing lab here last Wednesday.

We got four scheduled hours for the first wax-up (facial surface of #8), but they give you a week to finish any given project. The projects get harder and harder as we go on, but our handskills will hopefully get better too.