ucla premedical committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jtak

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does ucla have a premedical committee? all of my secondaries ask for a recommendation from a premed committee but i dont remember ucla having one.

Members don't see this ad.

no, but they have a letter service. you send them your LORs, and they will mail it out to schools for you.

no. You'll have to use the career center's lor service and have your letters of recommendation sent that way (you can use myucla to sign up for the services). For applications, there are two choices, 1.) send a pre-med committee letter (which UCLA does not have) or 2.) Send 3 LORs; 2 science and 1 non-science (usually this is the combination that's used; it will vary by school, just make sure that you look at what the school specifies on their individual applications)

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, when using the letter service from UCLA, make sure you do it early because they can get backed up. Be sure to check after you make the request and see if it had been processed and sent out. It will save yourself a lot of headaches. Good luck!!!

Originally posted by voltron77
Also, when using the letter service from UCLA, make sure you do it early because they can get backed up. Be sure to check after you make the request and see if it had been processed and sent out. It will save yourself a lot of headaches. Good luck!!!

just wanted to emphasize this. send the LORs even before you get the secondary. the schools'll hold onto them for you. you don't want the slacking of someone else to be the deciding factor of where/if YOU go to med school.

I was told by the lady that runs our LOR service not to have a packet sent until I got secondaries because some (not all) schools will not accept it until they've sent you a secondary. Does anybody know about this?

very few schools will trash your LORs if you send them a bit early. i'd say only the uc's are that picky. last year, i sent all my LORs as soon as i sent amcas.
if you do it, the worst that can happen is they throw it away cuz they're not sending you a secondary. oh well. out $8.

the worst that can happen if you don't do it right away, you get backed up in the app process because of all of the LOR requests being processed and (surely) some will get lost in the mail and you'll have to resend and your entire application is postponed because of the dang LORs.

the earlier you get in and get your part done, the better your chances are of an acceptance.

just my 2&cent.