UCLA Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's up with UCLA? My UC supplemental was complete on august 28th and I still have not received any news from them about a secondary or possible rejection. I'm a URM with a 26 august MCAT (V6, P10, B10, writing P), is anyone in the same situation as I? please post if you have heard any news from them. :(

Members don't see this ad.

my file was complete with them around when yours was, and i just recently got my secondary. call them and ask what's up.

Don I'm in the exact same situation. I don't know if they reviewed our files and we weren't good enough or what. I got UCSF and I thought their standards were higher?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a URM, but I turned in my primary app even earlier than you (mid July) and haven't heard from UCLA. I too got UCSF but not UCLA.

congrats on the UCSF secondaries!! I got rejected by them :( this really sucks!!! if I'm not up to their standards, I'll rather they rejected me, so that I can make other arrangements (that's my number 1 choice!) well do you guys mind posting up your scores, when did you take the MCAT, GPA, and other goodies that might help the people that are in the same situation as us know how the process is going? thanks

Whew!!! I thought I was the only one!!!! :D

I too am in the exact same boat. Secondary from UCSF, but nada from UCLA. I've called them twice just to gently prod. "Is there anything else you need from me?" kind of calls. Both times they've said that I'm under review for secondary. I don't know if that means they haven't gotten to my file yet, or if they're putting me on hold. Hoping it's the former. Maybe they're just really behind? :(

oh yeah how about UCI, I still haven't heard anything from them......

Same here. My application was complete early September. I'm a URM, took the August MCAT (28Q = 9V 9B 10P),high GPA (3.84), and have not heard a thing from UCLA or UCSF...Don't know what to think...

Good luck to everyone else!

UCI was also relatively late for me. Their 2ndary invite came in late November, but then I'm an August MCATer so who really knows.

Lemme into this boat too! My app was received in early Sept. and I haven't heard squat. Got the UCI secondary after a long wait. I also haven't heard from UCSD. Anyone know what their story is?

I received secondaries from both UCI and UCD in late November. UCSD contacted me in September for a secondary, but has since placed me on "interview hold," which I assume means rejection. UCLA/Drew sent me a secondary sometime in October, and I have heard nothing from either UCLA or UCSF.

Does anyone have a clue why UCLA is so much slower and pickier than the rest? Do they get more applicants?
Just curious...

Because UC San Francisco is the top UC, many figure they'll be wasting thier time applying there and therefore much more apply to UCLA then UCSF. Some lady at UCLA told me in a nasty tone that they have over 5,000 applications to screen when I asked about my long wait. This may explain the long wait. Maybe no news right now doesn't necessarily mean we got the ax from them. But then again I already have an interview at UC San Diego and they have a ****load of applicants as well and UCLA hasn't even sent me a secondary or at least a rejection?!

I as well haven't heard from UCI. UCI reviews the high-end gpa students first and work down. If your GPA is in the 3.6 range they are just barely reviewing for secondaries. THis came directly from the lady at admissions.

Hey,
I turned in my UC supplemental on 8/22. No secondary yet from UCLA. I think they are very very late. I am confident that I meet the prereqs for a secondary... so I am not sweating it.

I have heard from many that you will know about getting a secondary by the end of January. I also called yesterday and the woman told me the same thing. My friend with unbelievable stats (4.0, MCAT-39)... just got the secondary this last week. So I dont think that not getting a secondary means a rejection.... they might be analyzing people one at a time.

The problem is that this site has a very high proportion of extraordinary candidates so it makes us "normals" feel like we are in bad shape. Interviews last until March (and maybe April) and I think that 90% of medical students get accepted to their final choice in May, June, or July. One friend of mine was on his way to Albert Einstein last August when Johns Hopkins called his cell phone. I'm babbling!

Members don't see this ad :)
well I got the UCSD secondary last month and like some of you I was put on "interview-hold" what the hell does that mean? UCSF rejected me already, UCI and UCLA--still waiting. My ex-roomate is a 4th year med student and he's conducting interviews at UCLA. He says that UCLA is way behind schedule so not to sweat it that much...but the again..does it really take 3 almost 4 months to review a UC supplemental?

Hey jmejia1, the lady at UCI's office is lying b/c I got my 2dary about a month ago, and I don't have anything close to 3.6. The first one I received was UCLA's in October. It was weird b/c when I called tha guy at the UCLA office regarding my 2dary he informed me that the only thing in my file was my MCATs, so that's how I was approved for a 2dary I guess. I haven't heard anything good or bad from UCSF or UCSD, and rejected from Davis (maybe they don't like people who use this site. It seems like we've a large cross-section of the Davis rejected.)

At any rate, my comments only support the claim that it's completely random no matter what admissions office people tell us. Hell, half the time you'll get different stories from the same office if you call on a different day (been there, done that.)

yeah UCI is acting weird, my friend already received the secondary and she submitted before I did...what's up with that? anybody else heard anything from them?

just wanted to bump this topic up and see if anyone has heard from UCLA or UCI?

i got a UCI secondary today, after FOUR MONTHS. i had to chuckle because after so long i was thinking rejection. my undergrad gpa is 3.2 so i don't know what they are doing in that admissions office.

count me in as another person waiting on UCLA. they received my UC app on 10/9. Still no word on a secondary. :(

I'm an August MCATer who submitted my AMCAS 10-4, was verified 11-3, and submitted the "UC App" 10-19. I received secondaries from UCD and UCSD before the end of Oct, UCI on 11-4, UCLA by mid Nov., and UCSF on 12-1. I have not heard anything since submitting secondaries. 11V, 10P, 12B, Q. 3.94 SCI, 3.81 CUM.

I too had heard UCI works from high stats down, however, this application year is so unorthodox that I stopped trying to get my finger on its pulse. As long as you haven't been rejected, you're still in the game. The schools are way behind and they look at more than just numbers. Keep your hopes up guys!!!!!!!

thank you Keith, great MCAT scores!!! maybe that's why I'm not getting any love from UCLA and UCI yet...anybody else please keep them coming!!!!

August MCAT too - 37Q (12P 12P 13-15V) 3.75 GPA (3.85 Science & Math).

I submitted my AMCAS the first week in Sept. and the UC app. 9/18
UCD asked for my MCAT scores 10/23 - sent secondary 11/01
UCI sent me a secondary 11/4
UCLA sent me a secondary mid-November
I have submitted all three haven't heard anything.
UCSD - just told me that they needed my MCATs last week (after telling me twice that they had them) Sent me secondary w/i week of sending MCATs - have not yet returned it.
UCSF - still have heard nothing. I keep calling and they tell me "your file is out for review" I really think they may have lost it, or like UCSD, don't have my MCATs but don't realize it somehow.

I submitted my AMCAS on the first day possible. I interviewed at UCLA on Dec. 5th, UCD on the 10th. I received both my UCI and UCLA/DREW secondaries on Dec. 16th. I had a little chuckle and then threw them away. I wasn't going to take the trouble to fill out yet another secondary so late in the game.

For those of you who have interviewed at UCLA, how did they contact you to arrange for an interview time? Email, snail-mail, or phone call? According to thier database, my file has been complete for over a month now.

thank you for your input people...for those of you who recently submitted your UC supp, just be patient...mine has been under review for over 3 months now and nothing...