NTdawg1

2+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi all, I am very interested in attending UCLA's SMDEP and was wondering if anyone has any current information on what it's like getting in, as well as other recommendations based on my stats. I am a California resident.

2014-2015 California Community College: [4.0 GPA]
19.5 credits in social sciences, humanities, language, physical education, etc. (GE)
Calculus I & II
Animal Biology (1 of 3 in a biology series)
Total of 34.5 units completed

Currently a Sophomore at Arizona State University with a Microbiology major:
General Biology 1
General Chemistry 1
Statistics for Biological Sciences
English 102
Vice President of the ASU Global Dental Brigades, en route to Honduras this summer.

What are my chances of getting into this program, should I be looking at other programs? What do they look for? Anybody have any experiences?
Thanks in advance

nonociceptors

7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2012
Status
I'd look at others just to be safe, because I know from experience that they strongly prefer applicants from underprivileged circumstances and minorities. If that's you the nevermind, you should be ok.

Oct 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
For anyone that has participated in the program before, what are my chances of being accepted into the sites if I do not come from a financially disadvantaged background? I have lived in a rural area where a majority of my school was low-income but my family has always been pretty well off. If I mention this on my application can it be used to my advantage or will they deny?