UCLA status is up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Street Philosopher

freebird
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A heads up for those who applied to UCLA. Their status page is up, and if they requested a secondary from you, that's up as well. They have a deadline for submitting secondary materials, and for me it's the end of September. I received nothing in the mail (except for an info thing, nothing about 2ndary), and no emails at all.

The essays are as follows, 800 characters max:
UCLA SCHOOL OF MEDICINE SECONDARY INFORMATION
Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?
800 characters max.

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaninful?

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

PS: there is also an essay for "hardship" as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Major thesis? I guess answering all those essay questions would be one....

the ucla one is almost as bad as the duke one. yikes. sf is much more chill

Members don't see this ad :)
Well at least they're only 800 characters, so each one isn't that bad. But it's just like filling out an AMCAS all over again!

if you've done enough secondaries they don't take too long. with tweaking others - i had to write 1 new one new essay, which isn't too bad.

For those of you who have received the UCLA secondary, when did you submit your AMCAS?

long long time ago (6/10 - verified 6/18). the ucla app only came out about a week and a half ago.

I submitted AMCAS 7/30, was approved for UCLA secondary on 8/16, which is due 9/30. No notification from them about secondary either - just found out from checking website. Typical UCLA thing to do. Oddly, AMCAS wasn't verified till 8/22. But they got my UC app before that.

and yet this is the school that SPECIFICALLY says don't send the UC app until asked for - very odd admissions process

Yeah, I sent off my UC apps to all the schools at once, before realizing that UCLA said don't send them until we ask for them. But I guess it helped me, rather than hurt me, to do that. AMCAS transmitted my basic unverified info to them on 8/5, which is probably why they were able to log my UC app on 8/6.

I found out by checking the status page, but I also got a snail mail from them. Keep in mind that they screen, so it could take longer for some than for others.

Originally posted by mystic_b
Yeah, I sent off my UC apps to all the schools at once, before realizing that UCLA said don't send them until we ask for them. But I guess it helped me, rather than hurt me, to do that.

yea, done the same thing. was gonna tell them i sent them the uc app without them asking for it, but got too lazy to do that :laugh: