UCLA travel advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wednesday

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay all you Southern Californians, I'm heading down to UCLA and wondering where I should stay. I know nothing about the neighborhoods down there. Any ideas?

Also, I am planning to fly into LAX. The computer says that it's only 10 miles to the campus from the airport. Is a cab feasible or does it make more sense to rent a car?

And advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

A couple of quick notes:

* The closer the hotel to UCLA, the more you're going to pay for the night. If you stay further away, you'll have to deal with more traffic. It's a real trade-off.
* Generally the best transport is a Supershuttle. They charge a flat rate based on the zip code where you're staying, usually about $20 to the UCLA area. Taxis are very chancy, i.e. lots of $$$ if you get caught in traffic.
* Leave very early for your interview. I've hear horror stories of people who have been late to their interview due to heavy traffic.

Email me at [email protected] if you have other questions.

hey i live in LA area.
everything postbacchus said is true. this is a very strange area. i would not stay near the airport and drive to the interview. 405 Fwy is very strange. I would stay at one of the hotels near the school. i think their is a couple on wilshire blvd which are within a walking distance (10-15 min walk). trust me, it will make your life alot easier. i hope this helps, if you need more info, just PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a hotel right near the medical school that is quite posh and actually as expensive as you might think. If you stay over a weekend night, it only runs $149.00. Granted, for some, this is an extraordinary amount of money but this hotel is FAR nicer than any $100+ airport hotel would be and it is adjacent to the medical school.

The following link should let you get weekend rooms for $149.00 and for this price you can get a fantastic room and even a suite.

<a href="http://spg.0mm.com/sta107002" target="_blank">http://spg.0mm.com/sta107002</a>

The hotel is called the 'W' Westwood and its part of the starwood family of hotels that includes sheratons and westins.

I **do not** work for this company, i've just been extraordinarily impressed with the rooms i've stayed in at these hotels.

The address is:

W Los Angeles Westwood
930 Hilgard Ave.
Los Angeles, California 90024
(310) 208-8765

If you mapquest the above address, you'll see its a 5 minute walk from the medical center.

Hope this helps!

The W also has a great bar for the weekends, but it is impossible to get into unless you know someone or are renting a room.

I would recommend getting a hotel on priceline.com. You select the area around westwood and bev hills. But I think it's not worth it to stay right next to UCLA. You could probably get a hotel for 50$ in Culver city and get a taxi for 20$. There is no real problem with traffic. I drive the 405 to get to school everyday and I park right next to the medical center.

Also I think the blue supershuttles are your best bet from the airport. The cost is 20$ regardless of where you are going. (San Bernardino or across the street. Just my .02$

if you're going for a ucla interview I'd definately recommend staying with a student

there is a holiday inn right by UCLA (I can't think of the address...but it is right off the 405 and across the street from the Getty). Anyhow, it is usually reasonably priced for the area and I think they provide an area shuttle. A taxi to UCLA in perfect traffic (and I stress perfect) is at least $30. Super shuttle though likes to take you for hour long rides...so definately don't fly in the morning of your interview.

In my interview packet, then sent a whole page with information on hotels and guest houses next to the campus. Some seemed to be quite reasonable.

Do not believe the info about the airport being 10 minutes away. That is in the middle of the night. During the worst times of the day, it could be close to an hour away due to traffic.

If at all possible, stay with a student. I know that is a little different at UCLA since the interviews start at noon, but ...

naw, i didn't get an interview here (yet! :))
just wanted to add some advice for the stingy ones out there.
if you don't have much luggage and want to save some money to get from LAX to UCLA, do the following:

exit the terminal near the baggage claim (for whatever airline) and wait outside for the LAX shuttles (All LAX Shuttles are white with blue and green stripes). you may wait ~15 mins. take shuttle "C" that goes to 96th street. you might feel awkward, this shuttle is mostly taken by lax employees going to their cars or other public transportation. this shuttle is free.

exit the shuttle at the LAX TRANSIT CENTER/ PARKING LOT C (hence the name "C" for the shuttle)

go wait at stall #2 for the Culver City Bus #6 (the sign looks like:
sign.jpg
. if it's a weekday, you'll wait 10-20 mins for the next bus. you'll catch the one with the UCLA/Sepulveda overhead sign. pay $0.75. smile to the bus driver. the ride will be ~1hr

if you're going straight to the med center, exit at "WESTWOOD PLAZA". (Note: stop before is Westwood/Weyburn) it'll dump you off in front of the NPI building, which is right next to the med center, see campus map here:
http://www.ucla.edu/map/sectors/southeast.html . NPI/Med Center are in grid E6. I told you they were close.

For schedules/maps/etc of culver city bus:
http://www.culvercity.org/bus/gen_info.html