UCLA, UCSD, UCSF Out-of-state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zogoto

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get into these three schools out of state? Their website says that they do not give preference to in-state, but most people who apply and are most likely to matriculate are from CA. I would love to go to these schools, but am I throwing my money away by applying there?

Members don't see this ad.

I think UCSD, UCD, and UCI are pretty tough for out-of-staters (unless MD/PhD?)

Is it possible to get into these three schools out of state? Their website says that they do not give preference to in-state, but most people who apply and are most likely to matriculate are from CA. I would love to go to these schools, but am I throwing my money away by applying there?
I'm pretty sure that UCSD makes no such claim.

You're right about the other two, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
all 3 of those schools will take out of state. The main reason that many oos do no matriculate there are as cali residents we are all DESPERATE to stay here and jump at the chance to stay here at any cost. For example, i have a friend who turned down nyu, duke, etc etc. Basically a bunch of top schools to go to UCI...just to stay here. Also cali puts out more applicants then any other state, i mean no state is even 1/2 as close as we are. cali last year out out like 4800 applicants, the next closest was NY or something with 2300 or so...so thats why the stats are screwed but if you are an academic all star then by all means these 3 schools will take you as an OOS.

all 3 of those schools will take out of state. The main reason that many oos do no matriculate there are as cali residents we are all DESPERATE to stay here and jump at the chance to stay here at any cost. For example, i have a friend who turned down nyu, duke, etc etc. Basically a bunch of top schools to go to UCI...just to stay here. Also cali puts out more applicants then any other state, i mean no state is even 1/2 as close as we are. cali last year out out like 4800 applicants, the next closest was NY or something with 2300 or so...so thats why the stats are screwed but if you are an academic all star then by all means these 3 schools will take you as an OOS.

I'm pretty certain you're wrong, sir.

I've heard UCSF isn't as big a Cali-phile because it doesn't have an undergraduate program.

I've heard UCSF isn't as big a Cali-phile because it doesn't have an undergraduate program.
AT the interview we were told OOS was caped at 20% of the class.

20% is pretty good as public schools go in the country, especially for restrictive CA.

Let's see TX be this generous.

At my interview, we were told that UCSF admits a class that is a ratio of 60:40 IS:OOS, but that Cali residents are twice as likely to matriculate, forming a class at a final ratio around 80:20. It is definitely harder for an OOS student to get an interview, but once you reach the interview stage you have an equal chance.

OP, I received acceptances to both UCSD and UCSF as an out-of-state student. If you are going to be competitive at the top schools across the country, then you have a chance at the Cali schools. It's not easy, but it is possible.

At my interview, we were told that UCSF admits a class that is a ratio of 60:40 IS:OOS, but that Cali residents are twice as likely to matriculate, forming a class at a final ratio around 80:20. It is definitely harder for an OOS student to get an interview, but once you reach the interview stage you have an equal chance.

OP, I received acceptances to both UCSD and UCSF as an out-of-state student. If you are going to be competitive at the top schools across the country, then you have a chance at the Cali schools. It's not easy, but it is possible.

I was not saying that you cant get in as an OOS, just that it is not blind to residency as the OP state, it is factored in the interview invite selection. On the UCSF web site they say:
Does UCSF School of Medicine give preference to California residents? Show Answer »Yes. The Committee on Admissions gives preference to California residents, who make up about 80 percent of the entering class annually.

Out of staters for entering class 2007:

UCLA: 21/169
UCSD: 11/134
UCSF: 34/163

You're looking at slim odds, but if you've got an all-star application and you really want to go to one of these, I'd say go for it.

Without divulging too much of the UCSD admissions process, I can say that all out of state applications will be considered, but the bar for interviews and acceptances is higher. Strong out of state matriculants sometimes (at least in the past) are awarded merit scholarships to cover the OOS portion of tuition.

UCLA does not give CA residents preference. Out of state residency make up about 21/140 of the class (the 169 figure include students in the UCR program which is a separate campus and admissions process only only open to UCR undergrads).