UCLA & UCSF/UOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since everyone's talking about money, I just want to remind you that these two places are extremely expensive for cost of living. I am a current student at UCLA and the housing is insane, it's over 2000 for a two bedroom and about 1500 for a one bedroom and over 1100 for a studio around here. And I hear UCSF is just as bad if not worst.
Just to let you guys put this into consideration cause when I went to an interview in the east coast they were telling us how the housing was about 800 for a two bedroom and one of the other interviewee was in shock at how expensive it is...while I was in awe at how inexpensive it is compared to here.

Members don't see this ad.

Stargirl,
I definitely agree that housing is extremely expensive for SF and LA. When I went to Philly, they were telling me that I could get a two-bedroom for 750! However, at UCSF and UOP, they both have student housing available. At UOP the cost is around 700 a month, for your own bedroom, own bathroom, own walk-in closet, and a shared living room and kitchen. At UCSF, they gave me price estimates of around 500-600 for a shared bedroom in an apartment. UCLA doesn't have housing available for their students, so I would agree that cost of living there is just like you said.

stargirl,

2K for a 2 bedroom? are u serious?!! Would that be for a really nice 2 b.r. or is that the general range for most of them? Is this with or w/o utilities? I'd really appreciate your answers here, as these are factors I'm considering right now about UCLA...thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello waiting...
I wish the 2K included utilities. Most aptarments are now over 2K rarely do you find one that's not in the area...(maybe if you're looking at the really really icky ones but I don't know cause I'll be too scared to live in those...)
for a two bedroom here it is anywhere from 2 thousand (for a small two bed room) to over 2500 for a decent size one.
you also have to keep in mind that the prices here goes up quite a bit each year, about 300-600 per year...one of my friend's apt last year was 1600 and it jumped to 2200 this year. It's crazy but yes you do have to keep all these things in mind, then you have to throw in parking fees (just about anywhere you go has parking fees...around 1.50 to 2.00 for twenty mins to half an hour)...what else would u like to know?
where else are you considering? good luck to you :)

thanks for the scoop stargirl....that's INSANE! Wow...I really wasn't aware of that...makes me wonder exactly where the 1500/mo. student budget figure UCLA gave me came from! man....that is a serious factor to consider...honestly, right now I'm planning on going to UNC. The school's just as good and Much cheaper! However, if I get into 'SF (interviewed, still waiting) that'll probably be where I go.

good luck w/your upcoming interviews...don't sweat tufts, it's very chill...the interviewer (1) has a check list of questions they need to ask you (all standard) and that's all...mine was a little diff./weird in the sense that the first thing my interviewer did was tell me she hadn't had time to read my essay and so she made me sit there and read it to her...weird, but fine....good luck!

Waiting,

I think Stargirl's description of the living situation in LA is a bit over exaggerated. I know it is very expensive to live in Westwood (my sister at UCLA pays $2000/month for 2 bedroom apartment--it is really really nice though) but if you are willing to drive about 10-15 minutes (about 5 miles) you can find a lots of apartments which is significantly cheaper. Here are some examples of what my friends pay...$750/Month for a studio in Brentwood (5minute drive), $1800/month (she pays $575--has two roomates) for a three bedroom near Beverly Hills (10 minute drive), and $900 for one bedroom in Culver City (10 minute drive). As you can tell these are a lot better than what you pay in Westwood.

I am a graduate of UCLA so I am very serious about going back to UCLA next year. I will make my final decision when I hear from UCSF.

At UCSF, you are looking at least $1500/month for one-bedroom apartment near the campus. But I think they have a decent student housing--you have to share a bedroom though....

Good luck!

Bruin2K

that's true living a little further is cheaper, but as a dental student i doubt you want to live what you call a 5 min drive away cause that can easily turn to half an hour to an hour driving depending on traffic and you know you don't have much time for such things when you're taking all these classes...
there are some nice apts that are 2K here, but they're really hard to get, unless you're able to put yourself on waitlist really early on etc but even then it's still expensive and pretty small.