Which school would you chose to attend?

• Total voters
Dec 6, 2010
Status
Hey everyone,

I finally decided to make an account to seek some advice with my decision on which school to attend. I figure it will also just help me make a pros and cons list and to have everyone here add to it in case I miss something. Also I will be taking an HPSP scholarship as such money or the price tag is of no concern.

UCLA- really liked the whole atmosphere, everyone seemed warm and caring, obviously has a great reputation. Great didactics, great weather. Love the fact it is attached to undgrad campus and has sports teams.

UConn- good overall program, medical curriculum, small class size 45 students, location can be good or bad. Only negative is somewhat older facilities and the whole building seemed kinda depressing

UCSF- Good school, great curriculum, nice facilities. But I think if I stay in California I would pick UCLA.

Penn- great reputation, I really liked Philly (huge eagles fan), I like that it is attached to college campus. I did not like the facilities thought. The basement was depressing and the classrooms and clinic were outdated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

LaFleur

All flavor. No bite.
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2009
Status
Nvm.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey everyone,

I finally decided to make an account to seek some advice with my decision on which school to attend. I figure it will also just help me make a pros and cons list and to have everyone here add to it in case I miss something. Also I will be taking an HPSP scholarship as such money or the price tag is of no concern.

UCLA- really liked the whole atmosphere, everyone seemed warm and caring, obviously has a great reputation. Great didactics, great weather. Love the fact it is attached to undgrad campus and has sports teams.

UConn- good overall program, medical curriculum, small class size 45 students, location can be good or bad. Only negative is somewhat older facilities and the whole building seemed kinda depressing

UCSF- Good school, great curriculum, nice facilities. But I think if I stay in California I would pick UCLA.

Penn- great reputation, I really liked Philly (huge eagles fan), I like that it is attached to college campus. I did not like the facilities thought. The basement was depressing and the classrooms and clinic were outdated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
You are obviously in state. Save your paper and go to UCLA! Telling friends that you go to Penn will be cool, but really that's as far as it's going to get you. For dental school, the name truly does NOT matter. Any motivated individual going to any accredited school in the US or Canada can do well. The school is only a tool for our development.

Regardless, you are in a great position!:thumbup:

OP
B
Dec 6, 2010
Status
Thanks everyone for the replies, I have kinda ruled out UCSF, and am leaning toward UCLA, but still am having a hard time with the other two East Coast schools.

Also, money is likely not going to be a problem since I will be accepting my HPSP scholarship.

EdwardKim

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Penn all the way then, I think. Most people pick state school over private due to monetary issues.

You get similar education where ever you go, and you can specialize anywhere if you studied hard enough. Why want to have an ivy league school in your credential?

Go to Penn.

Also, UCLA's facilities are so old. I don't know what you are talking about. We don't even have sim lab. I think just the fact that Penn's preclinic is underground makes it seem older. I'm sure UCLA's facilities are older b/c Penn just got remodeling done few years ago.

Good luck with your decisions.

JBieber

5+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2010
Status
Dentist
I think more people have heard of UCLA than Penn. And UCLA still has a great reputation within the dental/medical community.

I wouldn't pick Penn over UCLA for the name..

Urban9916

2+ Year Member
May 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
I know this thread is very old but do you mind sharing where you attended and possibly why? I am in the same exact position now, however I know a lot has changed since this thread was created. Any advice is appreciated!