UCLA vs UCSF vs UMB vs UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentdent12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I think it would be good to get your opinions about the pros and cons of each school (UCLA, UCSF, UMB, UPenn). Im sure this can help a lot of people, so thank you in advance~!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a California resident, I'd pick either UCLA or UCSF. Why would you want to spend twice as much to attend a private institution? Besides, UCLA and UCSF both have good reputation and program. I live in a state where there is no medical/dental schools and will end up with huge amount of debt by the time I graduate. :( I am kind of jealous now. lol

... it is not twice as much. it is approximately 360K (PENN) to 280K (UCLA)

that's 25% more. not 100%.

Members don't see this ad :)
ya if ur a cali resident def look into the state schools. idk bout ucla, i hear its very very challenging and also a bit more expensive than ucsf. ucsf on the other hand is all P/F with no ranking so when i was there for an interview, a lotta people were sayin the stress level is relatively low compared to other schools.
penns definitely one of the most expensive schools out there but i think its worth it as they offer a pretty impressive program. also a cool faculty and students as well. the only bad thing is that you will be coming out with a ton of debt on ur shoulders

Plus the more lone you have the less favorable term your loan is going to be. Like first $8000 you borrow is going to have alot less interest (in fact usually no interest during school) than last $8000

as far as first impressions go:

ucsf: great research, most well rounded program
ucla: great location, good clinical prep
umb: amazing facilities, ghetto city
upenn: ivy league, expensive

i'll see how these impressions change the more i research each program. as of now it seems the UCs seem to be the better option (especially for cali residents)