1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

UCLA vs USC

Discussion in 'Dental' started by DentalChamp, Nov 15, 2005.

1. DentalChamp

DentalChamp Junior Member

Which school should I prefer? I have been admitted to both.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Unemployed

Unemployed Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I highly doubt you have admitted to both already. You should have phrased your question has a "If I get into both, hopefully, which one do you think I should go to?"

UCLA, IMHO

4. Toothavenue

Toothavenue Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi,

I think he or she is an International dental student not the regular DDS applicant. ;)
    dental champ ..u can check out this thread started by treasure..she is also an internationl applicant..deciding between schools..ucla/ bu..
    I'm sure you will find that UCLA ..is the top choice among many students here compared to usc - which is PBL based
    Good Luck...
    kindly let the schools know soon ..so the rest on the alternate/ waitlist get a chance to receive an acceptance. :thumbup:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=239484

ta

5. WestCoast

WestCoast OMFS
    10+ Year Member

if you are a international, goto usc (same price)
    if you are a traditional applicant, goto ucla (cheaper) i know they will lure you with statistics of specializing, but its not that easy for international grads to specialize even if you goto ucla. from my class, only one actually got in, after much begging, pulling strings and so forth via post match.

6. ecdoesit

ecdoesit DDS/MS
    7+ Year Member

Have you heard about the summer quarter when you first started? It is intense, beyond what I could imagine. And because you basically miss that summer in the clinic, I know some PPID students are pretty behind when fall quarter starts. And they have little idea how the clinic runs, etc. The sch pays very little attention to them. I am not sure if the other sch is any difference though.

Though, I would expect higher number to specialize.

If u plan to specialize, do check with usc to see how they treat their students.

7. drhobie7

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Eric, bro, you don't have any PPID (international) students in your class yet. Yes, you are correct that their first summer quarter is brutal. They have something like 20 classes. They don't have a tougher time than you or I will finishing clinical requirements because they are dentists already and do things faster than we do. So they didn't get that first summer of doing perio. No big loss.

The school gives them as much attention as it gives you or I. I've seen it first hand in class, chart review, and clinic. I think WestCoast is correct that few of them specialize. From what I've gathered some come in planning on specializing and often change their minds simply because they're tired of being in school and want to make some money. I imagine there will always be an extra obstacle as a foreign trained dentist for acceptance to residency programs, even after doing a PPID program. That's the prerogative of the residency directors.

8. ecdoesit

ecdoesit DDS/MS
    7+ Year Member

Hey, bro, even though I am not the most talkative person, but I do have friends. Remember I live in Palms right across those married couple housing where tons of PPID students live? Each bus ride is about half an hr. I met a lot of them last year. I dont want to say too many bad things about the sch, so these horror stories will only be available to you if you are an admitted PPID student.

9. drhobie7

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It looks like you somehow found offense in my post. That was not my intention. Obviously, you can tell as many horror stories as you like. So, for the interested PPID applicants who want horror stories, talk to ecdoesit. If you want to hear good things talk to me. And if you want to hear it first hand, talk to actual PPID students. I'll be happy to relay your email addresses to some of them. I can't guarantee they'll contact you, but that's your best bet at getting some relevant information.

10. jk5177

jk5177 Just Kidding
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    And if you don't want to hear anything about PPID, because I don't have much to offer in that respect, you can talk to me. =)