uconn interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeepItFresh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scheduled my interview for Sept 16th....anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

When was your application mailed?

Members don't see this ad :)
I scheduled mine for September 19th. Also, I'm a Washington resident, so I don't know if that changes anything...

I scheduled mine for September 19th. Also, I'm a Washington resident, so I don't know if that changes anything...

Does anyone know how to get from Storrs (UConn) to Hartford? My friend is going from NYC to UConn, but there are more NYC-Hartford options than there are NYC-Storrs options.

Also, where are people staying?

Does anyone know how to get from Storrs (UConn) to Hartford? My friend is going from NYC to UConn, but there are more NYC-Hartford options than there are NYC-Storrs options.

Also, where are people staying?

It's only a 30 min ride from uconn to Hartford...easy highway ons and offs.
I can't help ya wit ur other question tho

It's only a 30 min ride from uconn to Hartford...easy highway ons and offs.
I can't help ya wit ur other question tho

Sorry, that was my fault. I wasn't clear. I was curious if anyone knew of how to get from New Haven to Storrs on public transportation. I won't be driving, so I'm thinking of taking a NYC-New Haven bus, then New Haven-Storrs bus/train/etc.? It's the second part I don't know anything about.

Sorry, that was my fault. I wasn't clear. I was curious if anyone knew of how to get from New Haven to Storrs on public transportation. I won't be driving, so I'm thinking of taking a NYC-New Haven bus, then New Haven-Storrs bus/train/etc.? It's the second part I don't know anything about.

I'm sure greyhound or peter pan have buses running but the uconn dental school is in farmington, not Storrs

Is anyone having trouble reaching admissions by phone? Seems like they don't pick up the phone and don't return calls or emails.

Today I received an email from uConn's admission office saying that my application is finally complete. How long is the wait between receiving that email and potentially getting an interview request?

Today I received an email from uConn's admission office saying that my application is finally complete. How long is the wait between receiving that email and potentially getting an interview request?

I got the application complete email on July 20 and no interview yet. That could be just me though.

Members don't see this ad :)

Mine's on Sept 19th, too! and I graduated from UW, too!! Well, now a CA resident. Do you prefer UW's dental or OOS dental schools?

Mine's on Sept 19th, too! and I graduated from UW, too!! Well, now a CA resident. Do you prefer UW's dental or OOS dental schools?

Cool! Maybe I will see you at the interview haha.

I totally prefer UW's dental program to an OOS program. This because all schools will provide a solid education, but i can attend UW for half the cost, plus my friends and family are here. Simple as that.

Back on topic though. Does UConn give out interviews earlier than most schools? They were the first one to offer me one haha

Cool! Maybe I will see you at the interview haha.

I totally prefer UW's dental program to an OOS program. This because all schools will provide a solid education, but i can attend UW for half the cost, plus my friends and family are here. Simple as that.

Back on topic though. Does UConn give out interviews earlier than most schools? They were the first one to offer me one haha

Ya, I like UW, my friend is going there this year (entry class of 2011). UW loves residents, so you will most likely get in with your stats. I actually got Midwestern's before UConn's, but UConn is a lot faster than west coast schools. I would like to stay in CA if possible. Even though tuition is pretty expensive with private schools anyway.

my application was complete on 8/15 and i just received an email for an interview today. I'm in-state so that may definitely play a big role.

although there were a lot of availabilities starting from late-september, i scheduled mine for 11/14 because uconn is one of my top schools and i don't want to mess it up! now kinda worried that i scheduled it a little late, but hopefully that doesn't "mean" anything to adcom.

Is anyone having trouble reaching admissions by phone? Seems like they don't pick up the phone and don't return calls or emails.

i have emailed and called tricia avolt a couple of times and she is so helpful and efficient! maybe give her a try?

Anyone else? I'm not from Connecticut but it's definitely one of my top choices!

Anyone else? I'm not from Connecticut but it's definitely one of my top choices!

A lot of faculty is on vacation right now so it's kind of hit or miss but Tricia Avolt is definitely who you want to talk to. Just keep calling that number on the interview invitation and you'll get through eventually. Good luck.

In response to an earlier post about scheduling their interview in November, I would definitely suggest scheduling it earlier. UConn fills their class as soon as possible and from talking to faculty, I know its much better to be one of the first applicants reviewed, as oppose to one of the later ones when the class is nearly filled. I scheduled mine as early as possible: Sept 16th. I'm not sure I see the advantage in waiting until November because plenty of competitive applicants will be interviewed ahead of you so you're basically giving them a head start.

my application was complete on 8/15 and i just received an email for an interview today. I'm in-state so that may definitely play a big role.

although there were a lot of availabilities starting from late-september, i scheduled mine for 11/14 because uconn is one of my top schools and i don't want to mess it up! now kinda worried that i scheduled it a little late, but hopefully that doesn't "mean" anything to adcom.

I gave you my 2 cents in the post above but I wanted to make sure you knew it was directed towards you. I hear the interviews real conversational and relaxed despite their attempt to set up a good cop/bad cop situation. Don't be worried your gonna mess it up lol just get in their asap and kill it because they definitely favor the students that they get to meet earlier in the interview process. It's definitely up to you but I guess that's just my best advice.

Got an email around 2:30 yesterday saying my application was complete....2 hours later I had an interview invite...

Got an email around 2:30 yesterday saying my application was complete....2 hours later I had an interview invite...

o_O! are you a Connecticut resident? so jealous of you right now!

Nope...out of state. I really like their program though...the smaller class size and great board scores are really attractive...

HI! I'm a MA resident

Got my application complete email Aug/09/11 then got my interview

invite on Aug/11/11 so excited !!

HI! I'm a MA resident

Got my application complete email Aug/09/11 then got my interview

invite on Aug/11/11 so excited !!

lucky! you got an interview 2 days after your app was completed?

I got my application complete email on 8/17. Still no interview invite. CA resident. Crossing my fingers for the invite.

Yep! I was very suprised myself, but I'm a bit nervous about the interview right now...

I gave you my 2 cents in the post above but I wanted to make sure you knew it was directed towards you. I hear the interviews real conversational and relaxed despite their attempt to set up a good cop/bad cop situation. Don't be worried your gonna mess it up lol just get in their asap and kill it because they definitely favor the students that they get to meet earlier in the interview process. It's definitely up to you but I guess that's just my best advice.

hi! thanks so much for your advice. I actually called the office again, hoping to reschedule, but after i asked tricia avolt about whether there was an advantage or disadvantage for interviewing early, she said as long as the interview was before dec. 1 i'd be okay. she also mentioned that if she had thought i was late, she would have mentioned it earlier. my impression is that adcom meets right before dec. 1 and decides on their first batch of acceptances. i understand that a class gets "filled" up with great applicants as early as possible, but adcom doesn't decide on the final group until after all november interviews wrap up. in the end, i didn't reschedule and am hoping that tricia is right!

I know this is an old thread, but I'm bringing this back from the dead since it is still pertinent to upcoming interviews.

Some quick comments on my UConn interview:

There was a little bit of the good cop, bad cop in my interview. However, like other have said, it was still a very relaxed interview overall.

Even though it is an state school, Dr. Thibodeau really stressed that the adcom's don't know the state residency of the student when deciding on whether or not to offer acceptance. The interviewers know, but the Adcoms don't, so take that for what its worth... Just an FYI