UCONN Post-Bac (Spring 09) GPA Calculation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiznat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm applying (again) to the UCONN post-bacc this Spring, except this time I will have finished all of the post-bacc classes and will be applying to program B. I have a couple questions regarding how my grades/GPA might be looked at and I was hoping some of you could help me out.

Here are my grades in the sciences:

Bio 1- B+
Bio 2- B+
Physics 1- A-
Physics 2- A
Chem 1- B+
Chem 2- B
Orgo 1- A
Orgo 2- (will take Spring 09 during application process)

GPA calculator says I've got a 3.51 without the orgo 2 grade which I hope will be another A. That would make it a 3.6.

I graduated from Boston University with a joint major in Philosophy + Psychology and a terrible GPA: 2.75. I am 26 years old and have 6 years experience in EMS, working as a full-time Paramedic in Hartford CT while doing my science coursework (quasi non traditional local with experience?).

My question is regarding some of my science grades. Above I have posted my best and most recent grades. What that doesn't show is that I took physics 2 three times (the grade above is my third), receiving a F and a D a few years ago. I also took Bio 1 at a different school and got a B-. I believe that I show a track record of improvement, though, and I am hoping that the grades above combined with my work experience might make me competitive.

My family thinks I should just take the MCAT, do real well, and apply directly to medical schools this time around. I don't feel I'll be competitive though with my undergrad GPA the way it is and the rocky post-bacc road I've traveled. ...Even if I smoke the test.

If anyone could comment on my chances and how the schools might regard my old bio/physics grades I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey..I would contact Dr. Sanford directly and see what he says about the grades. They may or may not take them into consideration. He is probably your best source for the Uconn post bac. Btw, you said that you will be applying again, did you speak with anyone about your application for any possible reasons as to why they didn't accept you the first time?

Fiznat,

I know its a reply to an old thread, but wanted to know if you finally were able to get intto UConn Program B, I feel like I am in the same boat as you were at that time GPA wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
He should have went the osteopathic route if he ended up retaking those troubled classes imo