UCONN post bac Spring 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Valence23, Im really sorry to hear you did not get :( .. I am going to email Sanford too and ask what would make me a better candidate... Well, I am glad to hear we all have options. I considered taking science courses on my own, but I feel the same way you do, about another bachelors degree. What kind of grad schools are you looing into?

Saved56, that Manhattanville college seems interesting enough to look into. I wonder why Creighton University only takes appplicant who have not been accepted into med school? .. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Still waiting...

Last edited:
Saved- Why are they taking so long?? That is surprising but may be a good thing...Hopefully they are considering for an interview, keep your fingers crossed...

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell me about it... I received the e-mail today. I'm still nervous and really am not anticipating hearing good news. The program is very competitive and I'm really not sure what they're looking for.

Well you are getting emails back so that it is a good sign, at least. Maybe they are narrowing down from the 50 or so applicants who applied. Hopefully that means that you will end up with an interview when it's all said and done. Good Luck!! We are rooting for you...

Valence23, I emailed sanford and told him I still wish to pursue psychiatry and i would like to go over (bad and good) and how to improve my application...he told me to contact lynda fox to set up a meeting...

Saved56... GOOD LUCK!!!!

Yeh I did that as well. The letter says that he can only meet after Jan 1. I don't want to wait until then to find out why I wasn't accepted. Hopefully, he can just meet with us before.

Hey Whoknew..have you heard anything back about setting up a meeting?

Hey Valence23,

No. I emailed Lynda telling her I need to set up a meeting per Sanford but she has not replyed yet. I hope I can schedule a phone meeting because I dont know if I want to go all the way up to Storrs to find out why I didnt get in.

WhoKnew, his office is @ UConn Health Center and that's in Farmington,CT.

yeah I forgot about that... either way it is quite a hike for me...

Saved, you still have not heard anything yet?

Has anyone been able to schedule a meeting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I have one for Dec 4th..Whoknew, were you able to schedule one?

I told Lynda I would take Dec 2nd but she has not confirmed with me.... are you traveling to the office?

Saved... you still have not heard? (sorry for asking so many times!)

No! :( I'm still waiting. Maybe I'll hear something today. I know I haven't received an interview invitation. I hope my rejection letter isn't on the way. Anyhow, the first I hear something I'll be sure to post it.

Oh, I forgot to add ... there is no problem w/ asking me. I don't mind.

do students in the program b and full-year minority have to take/retake the mcat to get into uconn med school?:luck:

Moto_za, that's a great question but I don't know the answer. Were you accepted into the program? If so, I'm sure your questions will eventually be answered or you can wait until you've been assigned an advisor. I've applied to the program, but I'm still waiting to hear from someone. A friend of my forwared me an e-mail that most of the people who were requested to do an interview have already been contacted. Umm.... but I haven't received anything..... how about you?

Thanks for the response. I am actually planning on applying for the fall semester.

Moto_za contact Dr Sanford by phone or e-mail.
Phone: 860-679-3874
Email: [email protected]

Let him know how you're planning on applying to the Post-Bacc program in fall 2009 and you have a few questions. He'll be able to answer all of your questions.

I have read in some posts somewhere on this forum that if you have above a 27 on the MCAT that you can get an interview from UConn med school contigent on your performance in the post-bac...the guy was saying that if its lower than that, they might ask you to retake it..but you would probably want to check with Dr. Sanford for the last word on it since I am just relaying hearsay

saved- I am just going to do a phone interview..its no use driving there to ask him why I was rejected..at least that's the way I see it..I also initially thought that I might go into the regular program and take classes and just reapply for the fall but now I am looking at other programs outside of conn..I am just hoping that Dr. Sanford can give me some feedback on my application so I have an idea (from the perspective of med school admissions) of how to improve my application..

Hey Valence... Yeah I think it is pointless to drive all the way up there...

I'm still waiting. I sent an e-mail out today to inquire about the status of my application.

Wow, it is taking quite awhile..I have my phone meeting with Dr. Sanford this week so I will have a better idea of why I was rejected (I hope)...Maybe I can find out if they are still interviewing people for you saved....that could give you an idea of what's happening if you don't hear from them until after thurs..

Valence, good luck in getting in touch with Dr. Sanford. I had an appt. with him today at 9:30 and he has not answered...i think i called about 100 times. Fox is not answering her phone either.. this is not the first time this has happened to me. I contacted Sanford about 1 yr ago to go over the post-bac program and he was never in the office when he said he would be (granted he is very busy i am sure) but i am not happy right now.

Hey Saved,

That is the hardest part.. waiting. but hang in there, your not out of it yet. Lets just keep hoping you will hear soon.

I am going to send an email to both of them. I'll let you know what happens.

I applied to the program too and I have been faithfully reading your posts everyday to see if anyone has heard anything. I haven't either, but I am hoping to soon.Who Knew, did you find out any info when you called today?

Valence, did you get to talk to Sanford?

I received an email from him today to reschedule...

Hopeful, Saved is the only one in this group who has not heard anything back yet....

I sent my app in Oct 1st and I haven't heard back yet...so nervous, I wish someone would say something...

wow! :eek: hopeful and saved...can they really take that long before they give you a response..this is for the spring right???

I also applied to the Post-Bac program at UConn for the Spring semester and haven't heard anything either. I called on Monday and Lynda said that Dr. Sanford still has my file in his office. I would just like to know something.

I think that they are still reviewing us cause maybe we are in the "middle" pool...I heard that they send out rejections right away if they don't think you'll make a good fit, then send our invitations to the stellar students and then take a while to decide on the people in the middle....Sounds plausible

Hey Whoknew- My phone mtg is with him tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to get some info from him.

For everyone else- It is really surprising how long it has been taking for the applications to be processed considering that some of the people who have posted on this forum say that only about 2-3 ppl get in for the Spring (Check this post out even though it is quite old: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-81877.html)...You would think they would be quicker at moving through the apps if they are planning on taking so few people..I feel better that I was just outright rejected and the decision was quick and easy for them..Now, I just want to find out any deficiencies they saw so that I can work on those and apply to some more programs..Good luck to everyone still waiting..Waiting truly is the hardest part (yet it doesnt help when you call/email for info and no one replies, lol)

I have been talking to admissions counselors from other programs that are similar to UCONN and they proposed that might be what was going on..Of course they can't know for certain, but it sounded like that could be what was happening. I agree with Valence...I think I might have rather been rejecte outright then to wait and then discover that I am still rejected. Anyway, I can't wait to hear what news you have after you talk to Sanford tommorrow.

Hey Whoknew-

my apt was supposed to be today but Dr. Sanford never called me either. I thought about calling them but I was just like forget it. I really am tired of wasting my time emailing/calling and trying to get a hold of them. I kind of know my own deficiencies and think I am just further wasting my time by trying to find Dr. Sanford to retell those to me. Anyways, good luck to everyone else still waiting!! I will probably still read this thread for the next month or so, so keep us posted with any new developments..

Hey Valence,

I am really sorry to hear that happened to you too.

Lynda set me up for another interview Tuesday I am traveling up there :eek: . I have no idea what made me a poor candidate and I really want to know if I should pursue a career in psychiatry or start looking in a different direction.

But please keep us posted I am interested to see what plans are for the future. I feel like we have become a little blog family!

WhoKnew, you're really driving to the Health Center, WOW! And I know you are not from CT. You really want some info. I also need some info. --- I'm still waiting for an e-mail response. Anyhow, I going to the Health Center on Monday and hopefully I can get some info my application status. When you make the trip I'm sure your questions will be answered --- Dr. Sanford should be there "cross your fingers".

Saved,

I am from CT I just live an hour away from the health center. I didnt think it would be worth it to take the day off from work to go up there..but... I am really at a crossroads. I dont know if i should forget the idea of med school. I really want to know if i have a shot before throwing it away...

I cant beleive you have not received an email reply. Do you have an appointment for monday because Lynda said he was booked on monday ( I dont want you to go up there and not beable to speak with him, so if you havent done so already, make a call...not that anyone would answer...)

WhoKnew, you make a valid point but I figured he'll be there and wouldn't be able to avoid answering my questions. Hey, at least I'll be able to speak with Lynda, and she's like the next best person to Dr. Sanford. I just hate this long wait. I read an old post, a few years back, and someone had been rejected but did not receive a letter --- they found out when they called the office. I guess I'll call the office on Monday!
Thanks.

hey saved...the only thing is that they wont respond back to you if they have already sent a rejection letter. I called and emailed them the day before I received my letter (they probably had already sent it) and they only responded back to me after I told them I had been rejected...so it might be best to go there and directly find out from them what is going on...in that way, hopefully, they cannot avoid you...good luck..

whoknew- Dont swear off med school so fast; there are many options of getting there...have you taken prereqs or are you planning to do a formal postbac and take all the required premed classes? There are so many options out there that anyone who really wants to pursue medicine and is dedicated to it will have no problem finding a way to accomplish what they want to do...don't limit yourself.

So I heard a little something from Sanford... I wrote and let him know that it had been a while since I had an update on my app and I was wondering what my status was. He cc'd me in on an email he sent to Lynda asking her to "look into this matter for me"... Do you think that sounds good cause it sounds suspect to me? It sounds like he didnt want to be the one to deliver the bad news so he set Lynda up to do it. At this point it would be better to know something than nothing at all, the suspense is a killer!

I spoke to Lynda this morning and she said she had about ten applications still on hold, mine being one of them. Whatever that means. I just want to be able to give my employer enough notice.

ERMed78,

What does "on hold" supposed to me? Is that good or bad?

Saved,

I don't think it is a bad thing, but Lynda didn't know what it meant. I think it means we still have a chance of getting an interview. I think it's best to think optimistically. Good Luck. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything.

I received an e-mail today from Dr. Sanford and he just told me he is checking. That's it...