UCONN post bac Spring 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Valence,

I wanted to do a formal post bac. I spoke to the chair of Biology at southern CT ST Univ. and he gave me all of the courses he thinks I will need to prepare me for the MCATS. Its at least 2 yrs - 2 1/2 like Uconn.

The thing that scares me is if I take these pre-reqs on my own im spending more money, I wont have a pre-med program to add to my CV, and what if I dont do well on the Mcats? I will have "wasted" 2 yrs
essentially, when I could be graduating with a masters degree in two yrs…. you know what I mean?

Members don't see this ad.

Saved,
Thanks for the perspective. It amazing how you can get so many interpretations from the smallest thing. I must have read over that two line email Lynda gave me about a thousand times, hoping that maybe it meant more than it probably does. If they would answer their freakin' phone I could know something. When I tried Lynda's extension it said that if you were calling to inquire about the status of your app you should contact Dr. Sanford directly. Only problem is he never answers his phone. Ahhh...still waiting.

So,
I called the office today and I was floored when I actually got someone. I spoke with Lynda and asked her about the status of my app and she said that there were three piles currently for the applications...1) denial 2) denial letters yet to be sent out, and 3) hold applications. She said that there was a total of three aplications on hld and that mine was one of them. That's a hell of alot better than denial, but what does that really mean? Is it hold for an admission but there are no seats at this time, or does it mean hold and he's not even going to consider my app until more have come in or what? So anyway, I asked Lynda if she could verify what the "hold" meant for the three students in that pool and she said she would let me know this afternoon. As soon as I hear something I will let all of you know. Apparently there are no alot of seats avaliable this year( direct quote from Lynda) so that scares me a bit, but all we can do is pray and wait to see what happens. Talk to you all soon, hopeful10

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopeful10,

All I can say is Wow! I don't understand the point of holding onto denial letters --- they should just send them out. Hopefully, I'm one of those students that's on hold but if not I still will pursue medical school. Like you said all we can do is pray! Thanks for the update.

So this is the scoop,
I talked to Lynda again this afternoon.. a record, I know. She is very sweet, but I get the impression that although she sees trends, she dosen't know exactly the process that Dr. Sanford goes through with the applications. As far as the ones on hold...she thinks that they will be considered for the next cycle because she said as far as she knows, all the seats have been filled for the upcoming class.That sucks, but she said that she wasn't completely sure so there might be a little hope for some of you still waiting, but that was what she told me.

Dr. Sanford replied to my e-mail yesterday and told me he would check on the status of my application. I haven't heard from him today. Do you think I should continue to wait and/or call -- email him again?

Last edited:
Saved,
Since Dr. Sanford didn't contact you back yet, it might be a good idea to try and get in contact with Lynda as to the status of your application. She had them on her desk today, so you might have some luck infinding out if you got her tommorrow. When I wrote to ask about my status he just sent me to her anyway, so it was just a thought.
As far as the minority program goes, I don't know what the answer to that question would be. In that case, Sanford would be the best to ask, but if he's not answering your email Lynda might be the way to go with that one as well. In the end you are going to want to hear it from his mouth, but until he decides to respond to all of our requests, you might get a little information from her.

Hi Guys,

I spoke to sanford today. He told me that there was only one position open for this round and it has already been filled. Whether or not that is fact, i dont know for sure.

Hi Guys,

I spoke to sanford today. He told me that there was only one position open for this round and it has already been filled. Whether or not that is fact, i dont know for sure.

I went through the PB program at UCONN, 9 of 11 of us went on to UCONN Med. Here is the thing you don't realize: First Round acceptance letters have been out for a while. The program is "holding on" to a few applicants in case someone who accepted decides on another route at the last minute. This happens even for medical school itself. One school has an opening and calls someone, then the school they were going to go to has an opening and the ripple continues across the whole system taking a day or two at each point. We had classmates that got "The Call" a day or two before medical school classes started and they scrambled to get everything in order and show up for day one. They were really happy and excited and probably the most positive people in the class. That doesn't mean they were weak applicants, one is at Yale in residency right now. You are dealing with the most competitive people in school across the nation.

Dr. Sanford and everyone else you are contacting are overwhelmed with their duties, really giving it their all, well over 40 hours/week. They do care and realize a big part of your life is hanging in the balance and they are pulling for all of you, but... the PB program is only one of many jobs they have people calling them about every single day.

Always be very nice when contacting them, because when they have a minute they will tell you honestly all they can. That means Keat will give you solid advice on how to improve your application... it just might not be what you are hoping to hear right now.

Don't give up.

I can tell that they really care...Thanks for the note.

While Keat Sanford is a very nice man and is preoccupied with many other things I'm sure .. he did NOT give me SOLID advice for pursuing a post bac program. I was told in order to "do it right" and to go over my application and how to become a better candidate that I should travel to farmington. Well, I did, and he didnt even have my application to go over! How can you tell me what was lacking and what stood out if you are not looking at my application! I was extremely disappointed in this whole thing. What we spoke about could have easily been done over the phone.

Who Knew,
I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. No matter how busy Dr. Sanford is I would have been pissed if I drove all the way up there and got that treatment. It's like they don't even care about what's going on with you unless you are in the top tier group that the apps go out to early. What are your plans now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopeful,

I am applying to MSW programs. At this time in my life I want to begin doing something I enjoy ... and that does not include the application process! :)...

Applying to the post bac program gave me a perspective and a clearer picture of what I can accomplish. At this point in time, it is not spending tons of money on individual science and math courses.

How about you, have you heard any definitive news yet?

hey Saved,

from my earlier post you can see that i accomplished NOTHING! He was very nice but provided me with no guidance and was not prepared as we had discussed for our meeting. He had me drive to farmington because he said it would be easier to go over my application, however when i got there he didnt have my application!

I think it is a good idea for you to start doing things on your own, Bubblehead did make a good point that you may be contacted very late in the game. people are still happy to be accepted but having to get all of their ducks in a row last minute ...anyway what I am getting at is since your app has been on hold and in the running i would consider that very good! Good luck with the MCAT and let me know when/IF you hear anything.

While Keat Sanford is a very nice man and is preoccupied with many other things I'm sure .. he did NOT give me SOLID advice for pursuing a post bac program. I was told in order to "do it right" and to go over my application and how to become a better candidate that I should travel to farmington. Well, I did, and he didnt even have my application to go over! How can you tell me what was lacking and what stood out if you are not looking at my application! I was extremely disappointed in this whole thing. What we spoke about could have easily been done over the phone.

It is hard to say, having not been in the room when you two were there. I can tell you that I faced many an interviewer who had not seen my application before. It makes you feel like they're not living up to what you expect.

Not everyone will end up going to medical school. Keat is not there to find a way for every last person, who wants really really badly to get into med school, to get into UCONN.

Did he not go over your application line by line? There are many places to find the recipe for getting into medical school. Grades, MCAT score, letters, community involvement. For those who have even one area lacking... I'll tell you there are 25 people with nothing lacking.

A girl in my class got into med school on her second attempt. Ivy league (Penn), Solid grades (3.9ish) Good MCAT (35), 1st and 2nd author on papers, etc... She was going to apply to Caribbean schools if she didn't get in that year.

Some people go DO, some Caribbean, some MSW, RN, PA, PT/OT... Good luck to everyone, the most luck to those who have made up their minds on US allopathic schools, because they can't imagine doing anything other than going to work everyday with a huge smile on their faces tickled pink they stuck it out and make a difference (everyday) in the lives of people who need their help.

Know this about Keat. He cares. He is a professional that has experience to select people, with the highest chances of getting through medical school, for medical school entrance. He is 1 of 125ish people in this job accross the nation. Meetings with Keat can be highly valuable. Do not show up and expect Keat to walk you through a detailed plan for you to stroll into medical school.

When you meet with Keat, ask him if your plan for getting into medical school (the new and improved one you came up with) needs any fine tuning. Can he make any suggestions? Offer any pointers? Don't expect a list of things to fix in order for him to promise you that seat at UCONN.

BubbleHead,

I was specifically told to drive to Farmington in order to "go over my application to see where I lacked" !!!

While I DO NOT expect anyone to figure my life out for me I expect courtesy and respect. If someone is too busy to "DISCUSS" a rejected application do not tell me that it would be easier to meet in person when the conversation we had could have easily been done over the phone.

Not only is Keat Sanford busy, I am busy too! and so is the rest of the population who works and has a million other things to do!

and P.S... There are other fields of study in which people can go to work with a smile on their face and go home knowing they made a difference in someones life.

Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BubbleHead,

I was specifically told to drive to Farmington in order to "go over my application to see where I lacked" !!!

While I DO NOT expect anyone to figure my life out for me I expect courtesy and respect. If someone is too busy to "DISCUSS" a rejected application do not tell me that it would be easier to meet in person when the conversation we had could have easily been done over the phone.

Not only is Keat Sanford busy, I am busy too! and so is the rest of the population who works and has a million other things to do!

and P.S... There are other fields of study in which people can go to work with a smile on their face and go home knowing they made a difference in someones life.

Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You seem angry. Focus on moving past that now. I suspect it is clouding your ability to accept anything KS has to offer in the way of advice. Anyone else reading this thread should know that rejection is not the end of the road for many people who are committed to a career in medicine. All my advice is geared towards those people.

If you can take a rejection in stride, not take it personally, not be offended, seek to learn and grow from the experience... then you're on the right track. The road to MD is not easy; many people change their mind and Good luck to WhoKnew and others like her, in their efforts in other fields.

My most sincere wishes are for the success of those who will not accept rejection as a reason to pursue another dream. Stay the course! Know in your heart and mind that this is the only path for you. Too many people want to be an MD as a passing fancy. Not everyone is willing to sacrifice, work harder, push themselves further, and do everything necessary to accomplish the goal.

Hey Caasi,

I think you should go for it..you have nothing to lose except your application fee. Just be aware that the program does favor in-state students. Good luck!

Hey guys,

I have been interested in your conversations. I was just wondering if you think my credentials apply as I am trying to get into this UCONN school from Texas.

I have quite humble financial origins.
my cum gpa is 2.92 ( however, I have a 3.6 in my last 45 hours)
over 100 hours of sciences
mcat is 25 Q

I am heavily involved in community outreach/service and have done some reasearch.

do you tihnk I should apply?

I agree w/ Valence... apply to UConn Post Bacc program. As Valence stated the only thing you may lose is the application fee. Additionally, keep in mind what he said about UConn having preference for CT residence. If you're really interested in a Post-Bacc program make sure to consider other programs. I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket... I know there are many other post-bacc programs; however, UConn does have one of the best programs.

I check this site all the time! I haven't heard anything yet, but don't give up hope yet..Things could still turn out great!

Thanks! I'm so glad I received a phone call. With all the long waiting, e-mails, calls, I just gave up. Like you told me in an old post "hang in there" I guess no news is still good news, right! Keep me posted, hopeful. I'll do the same.

Hey Saved, congrats! That is great news..Good luck with everything.

Hopeful10, have you heard anything yet? Just so you know, I am a uconn student now. Im applying for the spring semester, and I've been reading the thread over the last couple days. What drama! I was really rooting for all of you.

I messed up before, i meant to say that Im applying for the fall 09 class.

Hey I'm also applying for the fall 2009 semester. Have anyone heard anything yet.

Hey Traveler,
I have not heard anything yet, but I did talk to KLynda ast week and she said that they are not even considering the apps for the fall applicants until the end of March. The minority program comes first since I think they start in June, and I heard that they are still swamped with the admissions to the SOM. Have you heard anything at all? When did you apply?

I just applied recently for the full year/minority program. So I haven't heard anything just yet, but the deadline isn't till march 15th so i'm guessing they wont do much but look through the applications until around that time. Im just so nervous about the whole thing, the post bacc and med school in general. I guess the reason is because my friend who graduated 2 years ago, just got rejected from all the med schools he applied to...for the second time. And he had a 3.5 gpa and a 33 mcat. So he was competitive, but apparently he just didn't cut it.

Hey I am also applying to the FAll 2009 post bac 1 yr program, and I just turned in my application..is that too late or am I on time? When will we hear from them?

Thanx saved. I don't know how my chances are, does anyone know of anyone who has gotten in and what characteristics made them stand out?

SAved 56, I see from the previous posts that you got into Uconn, congrats! I wanted to ask you, how likely are my chances with the students accepted for this term. I have a 2.5 gpa, actively involved with extracurricular activities, shadow a physician, and have 3 publications out for research. I took my MCAT, but did very poorly, and have been studying to retake it some time at the end of this year. What are your suggestions.

For post bac, I am worried financially. I looked up the Uconn suggestions, but they only apply to students who have taken credits in Ct. I am studying in Florida, even though my permanent resident is Ct. Does anyone know other ways to go about this rather then just loans?