UConn Post bac. Why so competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chasseurducam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reviewing all the posts about various post bacs and I have noticed that UConn is a very competitive one. Can someone tell me why it is such a good postbac? I am just confused because it does not seem as if it has a conditional acceptance or a big name.

Members don't see this ad.

because they literally take like 15-20 students. so when several hundred/almost a thousand apply.... it becomes very competitive

And it is an unofficial wink-wink acceptance from my understanding

Thanks. I understand the mathematics of why its competitive, I'm just wondering WHY so many apply to this particular program. Do you know how many people in the Postbac get accepted into the med school?

The last data I know about was from 2009-2010. Of the 15-18 in the program, like 60% applied to med school, 20% dropped out/changed their mind, and 20% decided to wait another year - so like 11 or 12 ended up applying. I think 7 got into UConn and 2 or 3 got in elsewhere.

The numbers are approx - its a small program, about half got into UConn med.

The reason a lot of people apply is because there arent a whole lot of post-bac programs in New England in general. UMass doesnt have a formalized one, nor does RI, and yet there are a ton of college-educated people looking to stay close to home. Geography is probably a major driving factor.