Uconn Post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemlover

med student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there waiting to hear from the uconn post-bacc program? or thinking of being an informal post-bacc at uconn next year?

I am planning to enroll as a full time uconn student next year, either with the program or on my own if I am rejected. I'm trying to figure out the courses I want to take in the fall. I haven't taken any college biology, but I do have a science background and I will be studying bio on my own this summer.

I am hoping to be able to start with upper level molecular bio courses in the fall (genetics, cell biology, microbiology, immunology). After being out of college for a year, I'm really excited to go back to learn again! Does this sound do-able? and will I be able to convince professors at uconn to let me skip biol 107?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to UCONN's and got rejected. It's difficult to know where you stand because they don't give a min GPA or MCAT requirement. They claim to have no cut offs and look at the 'whole' application. I thought my application was pretty excellent, but I didn't get in it. So I don't know what they want. There is some girl on this site that said that she also applied, got rejected, then took post bac classes for a year there. She then was accepted into the program and is now a first year med student there. She also said that they favor residents of their state. So it's worth a try because she was a non resident and eventually got in by taking classes there.

You might be talking about me... I am a former UCONN post-bacc and am just finishing my MS1 year at UCONN Med. I started taking classes on my own at UCONN since it had been 11 years since I obtained my BS in Biomedical Engineering and wanted to see if my brain would still function academically after so many years and two kids later. I took Chem 127 and Chem 128 over in summer 2001 and then Bio 108, Cell bio and Organic I in Fall 2001. I applied to the formal post-bacc for Jan 2002 and was rejected. I took their advice and enrolled for a full Spring semester with Orgo II, Orgo lab, Adv. Cell Bio and Spanish. I also shadowed with Internal Medicine residents at the hospital I used to work at.

I then applied to the post-bacc again and was accepted for Fall 2002. I took Physics 121 in Summer 2002 and sat for the MCAT in Aug. 2002. For the Fall semester in 2002 as a formal post-bacc I took Genetics, Animal Physiology, Biochem (MCB204), and Physics 122. The med school wanted all my prereqs again even though I had already taken bio, chem and physics as an engineering major.

I am a Connecticut resident.

Taking courses on your own at UCONN is a good option if you do not get into the post-bacc program. The med school very much prefers that courses be taken at the Storrs campus as opposed to the branch campus locations due to the larger class size/competitiveness.

PM me if you would like advice on professors and specific classes.

The post-bacc program is very competitive to get into. There are only ~15 total students in the program at one time (Programs A and B combined). The med school looks for a unique group of people who they feel will fit well at UCONN Med eventually. Just because you do not get accepted as a post-bacc does not mean you won't be accepted to the med school later as a regular applicant.

If you do take classes at UCONN as a continuing student, remember that you can not register until after the full-time students have and sometimes classes get filled. Call professors before registration in order to get permission numbers to over -enroll the class if possible. The way the registration process at UCONN is set up you will likely need to get a permission number for any upper division bio classes since they do not have you in the system as having taken the prerequisites.

Good luck to you and PM me if you have any questions.

Deirdre

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to the UConn post bacc and got rejected - I am in state too. I thought I had a decent application too. I've known people that got in and essentially they say (not my opinion because I have no opinion on this matter) that it is a minority/female thing, just unofficially of course. I am not a fan of the administration at UConn so hopefully I get into a different medical school, although I will definitely be doing my residency there.

VPDcurt when did you apply? I applied and was rejected also last June. I must say that I did like the place. It was pretty nice, and small classes, too bad I did not get in. Minority and Female. Regardless it is hard to get in, I hear it is ten times harder for the spring class considering they takeonly one or two out of 30 applications or so. Wow talk about a long shot.

I applied in March of '03 I believe. I ended up going to VCU/MCV. I think it's actually a better fit for me there. I didn't need to retake all of the undergrad prereqs anyway. At MCV, I've taken only grad classes and have done really well. I'll also come away with a master's this may.

VPD that is great. I am glad everything worked out to your benefit. Keep doing well. Congrats

AKA: osculator