UCONN Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LivingLife4me

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI all,

Has anyone had experience with the UCONN post bacc program? I am interested in finding out the what guidelines have been set for their contingency acceptance to their medical school. I spoke to an admissions rep and they said it is different for each individual and totally up to the admissions committee. Has anyone had experience with UCONN?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

LivingLife4me said:
HI all,

Has anyone had experience with the UCONN post bacc program? I am interested in finding out the what guidelines have been set for their contingency acceptance to their medical school. I spoke to an admissions rep and they said it is different for each individual and totally up to the admissions committee. Has anyone had experience with UCONN?

Thanks!

Basically impossible to get into unless your in state. Only accept 10-15 a year, most with great stats. Only accept maybe 2-3 contingency acceptances, again to those with great stats.

Call/e-mail Keat Sanford at UConn Med and ask him directly. You can also ask to be put in touch with current UConn med students who are UConn post bacc alums.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got rejected by this program. My grades were not competetive and no MCAT.

I also got the rejection letter with two different names- my name in one part of the letter and someone else's in another part of the letter where my name should have been also.

My guess is they are more careful with who they address the accepted letters to.

Sundarban1 said:
Basically impossible to get into unless your in state. Only accept 10-15 a year, most with great stats. Only accept maybe 2-3 contingency acceptances, again to those with great stats.

I realize there's probably no universal answer to this, but do you have any sense of what they might consider "great" stats? I am in the very early stages of considering a career change, and I really have no idea how competitive these programs are to get into. I have a 3.47 UGPA, a 3.7 law school GPA, a few years of law practice, and will have some volunteer experience before I apply (I have none now, but if I decide to make a career change, I won't be applying to post bacc programs for at least a year or two years, so I've got time). Do I have a chance?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

you definately have a chance

your competitive

also, i think what is meant by competitive is having stats very close to the stats of accepted applicants to med schools

Lawguy said:
I realize there's probably no universal answer to this, but do you have any sense of what they might consider "great" stats? I am in the very early stages of considering a career change, and I really have no idea how competitive these programs are to get into. I have a 3.47 UGPA, a 3.7 law school GPA, a few years of law practice, and will have some volunteer experience before I apply (I have none now, but if I decide to make a career change, I won't be applying to post bacc programs for at least a year or two years, so I've got time). Do I have a chance?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

I live in CT and know people who went to uconn med, and thier grades werent stellar, they were decent, if not as good as yours. Youre coming in from a completely differnet career, and making a transition, that along with your gpa is quite competitive in my case. Trust me, I know many types of people in Uconn undergrad, from slackers and high achievers, and if they can get in and pass, theres no reason why you can't. I personally am not considering uconn postbac becuse it would be inconvenient for me-classes are spread out through the day, its a structured 2 yr program, they have a lot of (in my opinion) unnecesarry pre-reqs and storrs campus is in the middle of nowhere, it would not be an easy commute from work. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns regarding their program or uconn in gen

I completed the post-bacc a few years ago.

It is very competitive and difficult to get in because the number of applicants is so high and the available spots are so few. What you were told re: that there are no set numbers is true. UCONN looks for people they feel will be able to handle the academic rigors of med school and who will be a good fit at UCONN Med. The students who were in the program were very diverse: men and women, old (like me..I am now 37) and young (right out of undergrad), in-state and out-of-state, science and non-science backgrounds, etc. The only way to find out if you will get in is to apply.

I agree with your plan to get some volunteer exp before applying. Although I had a great deal of exposure to prehospital and hospital-based medicine, I still shadowed physicians directly and I think is demonstrated by dedication to the process. As a Non-trad student you will of course be asked why you are leaving your current career for medicine...volunteer EC time will back up your answer.

I highly recommend making an appointment to sit down with Dr. Keat Sanford to review your goals and plans. He will give you some good advice and face time with the program director is always a good thing.

Best of luck and PM me if you have any questions. There are many ways to do post-bacc work on your own or through a foraml program. I feel that the UCONN program was a great prep for med school, but remember you can take the same classes as a continuing student on your own.