UCONN Postbac--Summer/Fall 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD to be 1 day

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I thought I'd start a new thread for the Summer/Fall 2010 applicants! I am wondering if those that have applied to UCONN have received an email letting them know their app is complete?
Has anyone been called in for an interview yet?
Anyone know if they have rolling admissions?

Thanks!

I am applying to the Full-year minority program that starts in the summer and Program A (career-changer) that starts in fall fyi, so we'll see which one I get in to!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi MD to be,

I haven't received anything. Not even an "app is complete" e-mail. Let me know if you hear anything!

The other threads give a contact for a Ms. Fox, I think, who may be the secretary?

Hi MissPiggy,
I did receive an email complete a week ago or so I think. I have been emailing her as well as Dr. Zeff to make sure they had everything. Let me know if you hear anything either way! I don't think they'll be inviting applicants for interviews until the end of the month so we'll see!

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to see someone started this thread. Any Program B applicants out there? If so, have you heard anything back from them yet??

I applied to program B, but I'm an out of state student. Any other out of state applicants? Did anyone in program B already take the MCAT?

Hi Spacedoc, I am out of state as well and am applying to program A.

MissPiggy, are you program A or B?

Hey everyone I just wanted to join the convo. I applied to the minority B program as well...keeping my fingers crossed :xf:

I applied to program B, but I'm an out of state student. Any other out of state applicants? Did anyone in program B already take the MCAT?

Yep, I'm out of state as well and have taken the MCAT (w/ 30+). I'm really hoping to get a conditional acceptance to the School of Medicine...that's the big allure of this program as far as I'm concerned. Not sure how many of those they offer, though. Anyone know how many people they accept into Program B (non-minority)?

hi thomyorke,
UCONN's website says they offer a conditional acceptance to 1/3 of the accepted applicants...which isn't many considering only 12-15 (if I'm not mistaken) are accepted into program a and b altogether out of 250+ applicants. I don't think it is 50/50 with acceptances to program a and b...I think they accept more to program b...? good luck!

Yah the program historically takes 12-15 and last year had more than 250 applicants.

In bad news for out of staters, I spoke to people from the class of 2-3 yrs ago, and none of them were OOS

Hi,
I applied to the program and I am an out of stater. I also received an email confirming my complete application. Just waiting now....

Yah the program historically takes 12-15 and last year had more than 250 applicants.

In bad news for out of staters, I spoke to people from the class of 2-3 yrs ago, and none of them were OOS

hmm this would be unfortunate as I'm applying for minority program B and i'm out of state.. although I have yet to get a confirmation email from them and i've actually had been emailing a Dr. Sanford maybe I should be emailing Dr. Zeff?

Hey Jrmed,
Yeah, Dr. Zeff took over for Dr. Sanford. I don't have his email offhand but Zeff's email is listed on the website as he is the new Director of the postbac program. good luck! p.s. email lynda fox (Zeff's assistant) as well for good measure if you don't hear from Zeff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am guessing Dr. Zeff took over for Dean Sanford but I've kinda fallen out of the loop of UConn since I didnt get in last yr.
I was forunate enough to talk to quite a few kids from previous years tho while I was in the app process and the 250+ number was direct from my rejection letter last year.
It was a late notification compared to other post-bacs/SMPs which was an issue for me as well.
Good luck to you all

I am guessing Dr. Zeff took over for Dean Sanford but I've kinda fallen out of the loop of UConn since I didnt get in last yr.
I was forunate enough to talk to quite a few kids from previous years tho while I was in the app process and the 250+ number was direct from my rejection letter last year.
It was a late notification compared to other post-bacs/SMPs which was an issue for me as well.
Good luck to you all

What were your numbers if you don't mind me asking? Also, I really hope this isn't true about OOS applicants receiving little consideration. If so, I will have wasted 170 dollars on UCONN SOM this year :thumbdown:

I've actually been in contact with Dr Sanford about my application and he has been helpful but I did notice that as of just recently it lists Dr. Zeff on the site as the contact for the post-baccs. Kind of confuses things a bit...

What were your numbers if you don't mind me asking? Also, I really hope this isn't true about OOS applicants receiving little consideration. If so, I will have wasted 170 dollars on UCONN SOM this year :thumbdown:

I've actually been in contact with Dr Sanford about my application and he has been helpful but I did notice that as of just recently it lists Dr. Zeff on the site as the contact for the post-baccs. Kind of confuses things a bit...
UConn SOM is 84 students large and takes less than 15% of OOS; the 15% is a UConn SOM regulation due to state funding stuff. So about 12-13 students at UConn SOM are OOS. It is really really really hard to get into UConn SOM as an OOS.

I'm not willing to share my numbers but I shall put it this way I got into everyone of my other programs except UConn; UPenn Special Science, BU MAMS, Tufts SMP & UMDNJ SMP

UConn SOM is 84 students large and takes less than 15% of OOS; the 15% is a UConn SOM regulation due to state funding stuff. So about 12-13 students at UConn SOM are OOS. It is really really really hard to get into UConn SOM as an OOS.

I'm not willing to share my numbers but I shall put it this way I got into everyone of my other programs except UConn; UPenn Special Science, BU MAMS, Tufts SMP & UMDNJ SMP

Website actually says its 25/75 under the faq for oos/is ratio (for class of 2012 at least). Still not great odds by any measure, especially with the small class size..

Fair enough - I am sitting next to a 4th yr UConn SOM (my SO) now and thats the makeup of her class so yah its possible it is increasing

Could someone give me Lynda Fox's email Dr. Sanford finally got back to me just to tell me to contact Lynda but forgot to give me her email.. thanks

I'll put money I could reach the president of UCONN faster and easier than I can reach the secretary to the director of UConn's post bac program lmao. :/

true story, spacedoc! ugh!

Jrmed, Lynda's email is: [email protected]

For some reason I got a second "complete" email today that apparently pushes back the timetable...Zeff hasn't looked at any files and we won't hear regarding interviews till end of april to mid-may....are they kidding? the full-year program starts in june! how can they do that? i really like their program but I will literally be in my first week of classes elsewhere by that time!

I have been patiently waiting to hear back from the UCONN post bacc and still have not heard anything. Tried contacting the office but the secretary's voicemail is full so I can't leave a message. Has anyone heard anything or can help me get some answers about this program? I really want to attend this program so if anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey MedicalFaith, I haven't heard anything yet either. They said they won't be contacting applicants for interviews until late-April to mid-May and then will make decisions fairly quickly if you are doing the "Full-year program" (start mid-June) and if you wanted to start in fall, you will hear anytime between late-May to June-ish. But according to posts from last year, some people didn't get in till the first week of July...so the waiting game continues. good luck!!

Also, email seems to be the best way to get ahold of either Zeff or Lynda fyi.

If anyone gets an interview etc, could you guys post so we can see they are starting to get back to the applicants. thanks! :)

Hey MedicalFaith, I haven't heard anything yet either. They said they won't be contacting applicants for interviews until late-April to mid-May and then will make decisions fairly quickly if you are doing the "Full-year program" (start mid-June) and if you wanted to start in fall, you will hear anytime between late-May to June-ish. But according to posts from last year, some people didn't get in till the first week of July...so the waiting game continues. good luck!!

Also, email seems to be the best way to get ahold of either Zeff or Lynda fyi.

If anyone gets an interview etc, could you guys post so we can see they are starting to get back to the applicants. thanks! :)

I spoke to Lynda last week and she said that they were hoping to make decisions for Program B by the end of this week. Still haven't heard anything yet but it might not be too much longer...

Thank you so much to everyone for the update! I am going to try emailing Zeff today to see if that helps! Love this site... get so much info! I will keep you guys updated as I hear more info. :)

Anyone know if they will be contacting us via e-mail or snail mail?

Thank you so much to everyone for the update! I am going to try emailing Zeff today to see if that helps! Love this site... get so much info! I will keep you guys updated as I hear more info. :)

Any luck with this??

Hi everyone,

I only got an email few weeks back from Lynda that my application is complete. However, the check I gave them for application fee, is not drawn yet, so am kinda worried, why they didnt cash it yet. Anyone else have similar situation?

Hi everyone,

I only got an email few weeks back from Lynda that my application is complete. However, the check I gave them for application fee, is not drawn yet, so am kinda worried, why they didnt cash it yet. Anyone else have similar situation?

Same here. I was thinking the same thing earlier this week.

My check has not been processed either. The only news I have heard thus far is that my application is complete. Can't wait to hear something soon! :xf:

Can any previously admitted students share their stats? I would like to know what kind of credentials got people admission into this program in the past. Has anyone ever been admitted without an MCAT score?

Thanks.

Can any previously admitted students share their stats? I would like to know what kind of credentials got people admission into this program in the past. Has anyone ever been admitted without an MCAT score?

Thanks.

Probably to Program A. If you are talking Program B, I'm guessing most applicants have an MCAT.

Any luck with this??

No, still no answer. I'm assuming that they are getting a lot of emails from students wanting to know what is going on so they are not going to answer us until they have made decisions. Has anyone heard anything about an interview yet? By the way, according to my bank-- my check has not been processed yet, unlike DreamingMD mentioned. What does this mean?!?

I am not sure what this means, but my check has not been processed either. Maybe they process your check when they have reviewed your file? I dunno. Just a guess.

I haven't taken MCAT yet and probably almost all program B applicants have taken MCAT. Being an Out of State applicant, non-traditional and no MCAT, I am guessing I have almost no hope. I have taken my pre-med classes as a postbac student while working as an engineer. So applying to Program B made more sense, since I have done almost all premed requirements, and still feel the need to enhance my credentials. I wonder what the admissions committee actually look for in program B applicants.

No, still no answer. I'm assuming that they are getting a lot of emails from students wanting to know what is going on so they are not going to answer us until they have made decisions. Has anyone heard anything about an interview yet? By the way, according to my bank-- my check has not been processed yet, unlike DreamingMD mentioned. What does this mean?!?

My check still has not been processed either. Perhaps your check is only cashed once your app has been looked at or is being reviewed?? Doesn't necessarily mean that they will have a decision right away either but it's as good a guess as I've got.

When were you complete? I literally sent in my app the last possible day so I'm guessing that might be why they are taking their time getting around to it...

My check was finally cashed...although I've yet to receive any form of communication from them. Damn I hate being left in the dark when it comes to these things...

I had FedEx'd my application on April 1st, which they received on April 2nd. I had emailed Dr. Zeff about the deadline and Lynda replied saying as long as they receive everything by April 6th, they would still accept it. I finally got an email saying "Application complete" from Lynda on April 6th.
So hopefully the check should be drawn soon.

Also program B applicants, can you guys share what other similar programs you applied to, if you did? I am thinking I should apply to some more. Thanks.

I had FedEx'd my application on April 1st, which they received on April 2nd. I had emailed Dr. Zeff about the deadline and Lynda replied saying as long as they receive everything by April 6th, they would still accept it. I finally got an email saying "Application complete" from Lynda on April 6th.
So hopefully the check should be drawn soon.

Also program B applicants, can you guys share what other similar programs you applied to, if you did? I am thinking I should apply to some more. Thanks.

Good to know I'm not the only one who pushed the deadline haha. As far as other programs, the rest that I applied to were more like SMP-type programs such as Georgetown, Tufts, RFU, etc.

Received my "regret to inform you" e-mail this morning.

Just a heads up for you all!

Good luck!

me too! Real Bummer... I really wanted to attend this program. Good Luck to everyone else out there. Let me know how the program goes!

Has anyone heard good news? Those who didn't, something better is out there for you. Do not get discouraged!

The email I received from them said I was placed on an "alternate list" and would know if I have a status change by June 18th...

I am happy to know that you at least made it to the alternate list. Hopefully it works out for you. Since I didn't make it even to the interview and was thinking about what I could do in the future to improve my chances at any post-bac, would you mind sharing your stats?

I am thinking about calling Lynda or Dr. Zeff, to ask them, but at this time, they are probably busy and would refrain from discussing about applications, until they are done assessing.

Anyone who makes it to the program, congrats to you all!!

Hi Trisa,

Thanks for your reply. First of all Congrats on your graduation!!! :)
I basically wanted to know UG/Grad GPA, MCAT/GRE/SAT scores and Clinical experiences, State Residence etc. I think you pretty much answered my questions :D It shows that you don't need MCAT really. I am guessing your high school records and SATs were steller, since you got into Princeton!!! and am sure EMS experience really helped.

Can you please tell me about your EMS experience? I have done ER volunteering, Shadowing, but not as an EMS. I know a lot of people have EMS experience. I would like to know how I can get that experience, or what qualification I need for that.

Thanks for your reply, and hope you make it to the program from the alternate list! :)

For those of you who haven't heard a thing, I called Ms. Fox and her voicemail said everyone will know their status by May 20th, 2010. Until then, stay encouraged :)