Uconn vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prospdent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding between Tufts & UConn. I liked both when I interviewed. UConn is a LOT cheaper since I'm a CT resident but I don't know its reputation outside CT- for future employment & residency opportunities esp since it is a pass/fail school and with boards going pass/fail. Also how is it clinically? Tufts I hear is excellent clinically, is a bigger name and has been around longer, is located in Boston & with more students in the class I will have more opportunities I feel! Could current dental students/dentists give me their opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go to cheapest school. Both are reputable schools!

Lots of former UConn dental students were pretty bitter about the school on SDN-do a search. Of course, the same could be said about almost any dental school-people were just too afraid to post it on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm. i've heard uconn is "extremely demanding" but the students during the interview seemed happy. i just want to hear which will provide me the better opportunties down the line in my career given i am not sure if i'd like to specialize at the moment

hmm. i've heard uconn is "extremely demanding" but the students during the interview seemed happy. i just want to hear which will provide me the better opportunties down the line in my career given i am not sure if i'd like to specialize at the moment

Uconn - less loan debt, and a very high percentage of it's grads year in and year out going to residencies of all types

DrJeff, do you happen to have any ballpark idea or perhaps even solid stats on the numbers of students who get into postdoctoral residency (excluding GPR/AEGD) from Conn?

I would like to find out. Thanks in advance!

DrJeff, do you happen to have any ballpark idea or perhaps even solid stats on the numbers of students who get into postdoctoral residency (excluding GPR/AEGD) from Conn?

I would like to find out. Thanks in advance!

If you exclude the AEGD/GPR residency placements from the mix, UCONN's historical average of specialty matches runs about 50% of the graduating class, which is the vast majority of those that are looking to match into a specialty program.

If i'm not mistaken, UCONN is pass/fail right? if so OP, you'd be crazy not to take advantage of that.

I hear Tufts places many more students into residency as well as treats their students much better. Oh and at Tufts you have brand new facilities with their "vertical expansion" I'd choose Tufts if I were you!

-To be fair, I'm waitlisted at my #1 school... UCONN!

For Tufts class of 2010, 15% went into a postgraduate program (this excludes GPR/AEGD). 14% did a GPR and 3% did AEGD. So, about a third of the class did one of these three things.

Go to the cheaper school.

We have a lower specialty rate out of Tufts b/c most people just don't care to specialize and are more concerned about getting out of school and practicing.

Reputation doesn't really mean much b/c nobody will ask where you graduated from.

Though, if you're thinking of specializing, you sorta "buy" you way into Tufts in that we reserve half our spots for Tufts students. But competition for those spots is tough, so I wouldn't say it'd be worthwhile coming here just because of that.

I'd go to cheapest school. Both are reputable schools!

This is always the best advice. No one cares what school you went to. The only thing that matters is your hand skills.