UCONN vs. UMDNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JA chica

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help guys! I cannot decide. I have recieved a full scholarship to go to UCONN and a $17,000 dollar scholarship to go to UMDNJ so I would have to pay $16,000. But the thing is, I really liked UMDNJ, it was my first choice as far as location (close to my family n' friend in new york), class size (not too small and not too big) and the faculty and staff seemed very down to earth and warm. They are both good schools academically speaking, but I believe UCONN students perform exceptionally well on the board. I am considering specializing, but I feel that it is more up to the individual than the school that determines how well a student performs on the board. In contrast to UMDNJ, UCONN has a very small class size ~30, it is in the deep suburbs, my understanding is that the social scene there isn't very active.
I feel the UMDNJ is the perfect school for me, but things got complicated the minute I recieve a full scholarship to go to UCONN.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?! I have till the end of the week to decide.

Members don't see this ad.

You can't beat free. However, this seems brazenly obvious. Shouldn't this thread be in pre-dent?

Is the UMDNJ scholarship recurring? If so, $60-70 K in student debt is nothing. You are going to be a dentist for pete's sake.

With 30 people, the chances of finding a good roup of friends is tough. and do you really want to be in Connecticut? Is that even how you spell it? Silly state!

Members don't see this ad :)
I need more adivce for you guys. I would especially like advice for that of you who currently attend either of the two schools i.e UCONN or UMDNJ.

I agree with you Bocci balls

I agree with you Bocci balls

I am a UConn student. The main reasons for me to come here were that it is relatively affordable and good performance on the boards. We have 40 people in a class and spend the 1st two years in Med school. The school does have good reputation of getting their students into residencies. I think UConn is great if one wants to specialize. However, it does have high failing rate. I say you should go with where you think you will be happy, such as close to family. PM if you have other questions.

Thanks Yang! What is the social scene there like? Are students still in the area on the weekends? How diverse is the student population? Was UCONN ur first choice school?

UCONN will beat any inkling of social life you think you may have...taht is unless you were a hermit to begin with. Easily the most rigorous thing you will do is go to UCONN. Say goodbye to college life, this is were **** hits the fan; never eases up, ad only gets worse until May 4 yrs later. lol...choose wisely

When you're considering a school that basically puts you in the med school curriculum for the first two years it's always wise to look at the med schools reputation and curriculum as well. My gf is a first year med student at UConn and I'm a first year dental student at Harvard. From what she tells me UConn is very difficult and unnecessarily hard on the students. Knowing how stressed out her class is I would pay the extra money to go somewhere else.

When you're considering a school that basically puts you in the med school curriculum for the first two years it's always wise to look at the med schools reputation and curriculum as well. My gf is a first year med student at UConn and I'm a first year dental student at Harvard. From what she tells me UConn is very difficult and unnecessarily hard on the students. Knowing how stressed out her class is I would pay the extra money to go somewhere else.

"UConn is very diffifult and unnecessarily hard on the students" is very true. Yes, I think paying extra money going to places like Harvard or UOP would be a better choice.

I'm late jumping in here.....what did you decide???

I graduated UConn in 2006. I hope you won't let a couple of dollars stand between you and the school you really think you'll be happy with.

I need help guys! I cannot decide. I have recieved a full scholarship to go to UCONN and a $17,000 dollar scholarship to go to UMDNJ so I would have to pay $16,000. But the thing is, I really liked UMDNJ, it was my first choice as far as location (close to my family n' friend in new york), class size (not too small and not too big) and the faculty and staff seemed very down to earth and warm. They are both good schools academically speaking, but I believe UCONN students perform exceptionally well on the board. I am considering specializing, but I feel that it is more up to the individual than the school that determines how well a student performs on the board. In contrast to UMDNJ, UCONN has a very small class size ~30, it is in the deep suburbs, my understanding is that the social scene there isn't very active.
I feel the UMDNJ is the perfect school for me, but things got complicated the minute I recieve a full scholarship to go to UCONN.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?! I have till the end of the week to decide.