UCR vs Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CallMeDOCTOR.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Trying to decide between UCR and Tulane.

UCR:
- Lower tuition
- Beautiful facilities
- But is the city boring? too small?

Tulane
- high tuition
- facilties not as nice
- NO is amazing

Any help/ opinions appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a CA resident?

UCR either way.

a) if you're a Cali resident, trust me, as someone who had to leave, I wish every single day at least once that I didn't have to. Stay. (Yes, other places are just fine. But they're not California.
b) UCR has a plethora of connections from the more established UC med schools.
c) who cares how small the city is? you're an hour from SD and an hour from LA
d) significantly cheaper is a HUGE deal

Reactions: 3 users
Where are you trying to end up ? What are your career end goals? Have you looked at affiliated residencies?

Are you a CA resident?

UCR either way.

a) if you're a Cali resident, trust me, as someone who had to leave, I wish every single day at least once that I didn't have to. Stay. (Yes, other places are just fine. But they're not California.
I would kill to be in California right now.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But really, when does this weird **** that falls from the sky at this alarming rate in wet and semi wet form stop?? lol
you have 3 more years of this nonsense. Plus if you are gunning for something competitive possibly 5+ more. In all seriousness I am internally debating if going into a less competitive speciality is preferable as long as I match some place warm.

Reactions: 1 user
I think my main concern is the social life. UCR is an hour away from LA but how often could you go? Are the students social?

I think my main concern is the social life. UCR is an hour away from LA but how often could you go? Are the students social?
I would not worry about social life, considering a majority of your time will be spent with goljan, sattar, and najeeb.

Reactions: 2 users
Concerned about social life.... you know going to medical school means practically give that up right?

Reactions: 2 users
Med students will be social when they can.. this isn't going to be like undergrad where you're partying every weekend anywhere you go to school. Either way, I'm 99.999% confident in saying your quality of life will be better at UCR than Tulane. Both during med school and afterwards with prospects of Cali residency significantly higher if you stay and with lowered loan burden

If you go to tulane report back as to how right I was that you wish you were an hour from LA and SD in about September lol.

Good luck with your decision! :)

Are you a CA resident?

UCR either way.

More like 1.5-2 hours from SD

Go with UCR.

While NO may be nicer, as a med student the lower tuition and better facilities take priority. Sure you will have some time to be social, but it wont be that much for the location to be that big of a deal. Also UCR is not too far from LA. Matching will also be easier if you intend on staying in Cali.

UCR is a good school but the IE is definitely boring and barren. The lack of a true home program definitely makes it more difficult to match into competitive specialties. That’s something to consider.

All my friends that went to Tulane have loved NoLa and loved living in a city where you could have fun going out and unwinding after a test or during your free time.

I’d also ask about the shelf schedule. I know UCRs 3rd year clerkships are kind of weird.

I think the tuition factor is definitely something to consider but going to tulane is not going to stop you from matching in Cali. That will mostly depend on your Step and CV.

That being said. I’d probably go with UCR over Tulane.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile