UCR vs UCF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsbaseball2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, pretty unique situation here that I would like some guidance on.

University of California: Riverside

Pros:
  • Free tuition from CalVet College Fee Waiver Plan B (covered my tuition for UG and will cover it for med school)
  • My alma mater, close to home and family even though parents are divorced
  • Some friends in my class that I went to UG with
  • P/F curriculum grades
  • Higher probability of matching into residency in CA
  • Integrated research into the curriculum, along with longitudinal clinical preceptorships
  • On a first name basis with Dean of Admissions and other faculty (just speculating on potential LOR's)
  • Small class size roughly 70 students which allows for more intimate relationships/advising by the administration
  • Brand new and there are clubs/orgs I want to help start to grow the SOM, pioneer and grow with the school
Cons:
  • No home medical center just a variety of community/county hospitals that we rotate at, not aesthetically impressive either
  • Small class sizes, with majority of past graduates going into primary care though some have matched Derm, ortho, sample size is still small
  • 1 clinical skills lab with 2 automated pt's, very small space
  • Talks of renovating the bottom floor of the library but probably wont be done in my 4 years
  • Clinical rotations in desert areas like Palm Springs and Coachella valley, do house us though (medically underserved/rural areas)
  • Very few home residency spots but I want to leave anyways so not a huge deal
  • Feel like i wont have the resources/access to pursue the specialty i want freely, will have to do alot of the leg work on my own
  • Know some students from my UG and a few in particular I did not like and it was mutual lol
University of Central Florida
($40,000 scholarship for years 1/2 w/ guaranteed $10k years 3/4 but they suspect it will go up to match years 1/2)

Pros:
  • BEAUTIFUL facilities, like honestly lol so much space, encouraging, motivating etc
  • Tons of resources inside the COM and faculty is extremely student-centered
  • Schools "babies" you to make sure you succeed to boost their ranking lol i see their agenda which is not a bad thing at all
  • Integrated research into the curriculum, helping to build residency app
  • Nemours and VA right next to school which are both amazing hospitals, way better than anything i'd rotate at in Riverside
  • Curriculum is very Step 1 oriented and it's proven in their STEP 1 scores
  • Feel like i will be able to pursue any avenue I want without limitations and the school will be there to support me
  • OOS scholarships for the majority of students
  • Graded curriculum which will push me to bust my @ss lol
  • Faculty LISTENS!
  • New environment, new people, new city, lived in SoCal all my life and I just feel that I would genuinely happier here
Cons:
  • recent news about them dropping Orlando Health and Florida advent as partners due to emerging UCF med center
  • Med center most likely wont be ready in time for my class to rotate, they speculated at best 4th year but i'll be doing majority aways during that time
  • very evidence based when designing curriculum but per students, its sometimes overkill with trying to learn the content in "dumb ways
  • Rotations are spread out across florida and school only provides housing to places outside a 50 mile radius
  • Lake Nona in itself doesnt have much to do
  • Not entirely sure how easy I will be able to match back into CA lol

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if I can give any input but UCF is a great school. However you really can’t beat a full ride. I think the small class size at UCR as well as you knowing the dean means that when it comes time to apply they will really go to bat for you. Either choice are great schools, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, pretty unique situation here that I would like some guidance on.

University of California: Riverside

Pros:
  • Free tuition from CalVet College Fee Waiver Plan B (covered my tuition for UG and will cover it for med school)
  • My alma mater, close to home and family even though parents are divorced
  • Some friends in my class that I went to UG with
  • P/F curriculum grades
  • Higher probability of matching into a residency in CA
  • Integrated research into the curriculum, along with longitudinal clinical preceptorships
  • On a first name basis with Dean of Admissions and other faculty (just speculating on potential LOR's)
  • Small class size roughly 70 students which allows for more intimate relationships/advising by the administration
  • Brand new and there are clubs/orgs I want to help start to grow the SOM, pioneer and grow with the school
Cons:
  • No home medical center just a variety of community/county hospitals that we rotate at, not aesthetically impressive either
  • Small class sizes, with the majority of past graduates going into primary care though some have matched Derm, ortho, the sample size is still small
  • 1 clinical skills lab with 2 automated pt's, very small space
  • Talks of renovating the bottom floor of the library but probably wont be done in my 4 years
  • Clinical rotations in desert areas like Palm Springs and Coachella valley, do house us though (medically underserved/rural areas)
  • Very few home residency spots but I want to leave anyways so not a huge deal
  • Feel like i wont have the resources/access to pursue the specialty i want freely, will have to do alot of the leg work on my own
  • Know some students from my UG and a few in particular I did not like and it was mutual lol
  • 3rd year rotations work on 3 week mini blocks so I.E. 3 weeks surgery, then 3 weeks IM, then back to surgery and 2 shelf exams are taken at the end of it
University of Central Florida
($40,000 scholarship for years 1/2 w/ guaranteed $10k years 3/4 but they suspect it will go up to match years 1/2)

Pros:
  • BEAUTIFUL facilities, like honestly lol so much space, encouraging, motivating etc
  • Tons of resources inside the COM and faculty is extremely student-centered
  • Schools "babies" you to make sure you succeed to boost their ranking lol i see their agenda which is not a bad thing at all
  • Integrated research into the curriculum, helping to build residency app
  • Nemours and VA right next to school which are both amazing hospitals, way better than anything i'd rotate at in Riverside
  • Curriculum is very Step 1 oriented and it's proven in their STEP 1 scores
  • Feel like i will be able to pursue any avenue I want without limitations and the school will be there to support me
  • OOS scholarships for the majority of students
  • Graded curriculum which will push me to bust my @ss lol
  • Faculty LISTENS!
  • New environment, new people, new city, lived in SoCal all my life and I just feel that I would be genuinely happier here
Cons:
  • recent news about them dropping Orlando Health and Florida advent as partners due to emerging UCF med center
  • Med center most likely wont be ready in time for my class to rotate, they speculated at best 4th year but i'll be doing majority aways during that time
  • very evidence based when designing curriculum but per students, its sometimes overkill with trying to learn the content in "dumb ways
  • Rotations are spread out across Florida and school only provides housing to places outside a 50 mile radius
  • Lake Nona in itself doesnt have much to do
  • Not entirely sure how easy I will be able to match back into CA lol

Members don't see this ad :)
The cons seem very similar. Given the similarity of the pros, I suggest the free ride at UCR >>> over the tuition at UCF.

As a Californian, what do you think your hook was for UCF?
I think the biggest draw in for UCF was the transparency and support the faculty give to their students. Everything UCF does is with their students in mind and it shows in their STEP scores and match lists. Also, the campus and facilities including partnered hospitals are stunning. Having already been in Riverside for 4 years in UG, I want to branch out and explore something new. Also, the hospitals around UCR aren't the best and having volunteered at many of them, I have heard horror stories from med students/residents.

Its more of a confidence that if I attend UCF I will be given all the tools necessary to match into any field of medicine no matter how competitive and with their historically high STEP 1 average, I know that whatever it is they are doing curriculum-wise is working. And in the grand scheme of things, if they are able to match my aid for all 4 years an additional $60k to know I am going to be much happier is worth it for me.

Just seems like all the M4's have thoroughly enjoyed their experiences at UCF and attribute their success to the institution. Idk my heart is telling me UCF, my wallet is saying UCR

I think the biggest draw in for UCF was the transparency and support the faculty give to their students. Everything UCF does is with their students in mind and it shows in their STEP scores and match lists. Also, the campus and facilities including partnered hospitals are stunning. Having already been in Riverside for 4 years in UG, I want to branch out and explore something new. Also, the hospitals around UCR aren't the best and having volunteered at many of them, I have heard horror stories from med students/residents.

Its more of a confidence that if I attend UCF I will be given all the tools necessary to match into any field of medicine no matter how competitive and with their historically high STEP 1 average, I know that whatever it is they are doing curriculum-wise is working. And in the grand scheme of things, if they are able to match my aid for all 4 years an additional $60k to know I am going to be much happier is worth it for me.

Just seems like all the M4's have thoroughly enjoyed their experiences at UCF and attribute their success to the institution. Idk my heart is telling me UCF, my wallet is saying UCR
Well, while the wallet can be a big factor, being happy for four years is also a concern. In this case, follow your heart.

And congrats on the accepts!!!
:love::love::love::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::love::love::love::luck::luck::luck::hardy::hardy::hardy::highfive::highfive::highfive::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::clap::=|:-)::=|:-)::=|:-)::woot::woot::woot::claps::claps::claps::hello::hello::hello::banana::banana::banana:

Reactions: 2 users
Bluntly this isn’t a DO school vs Harvard. They are essentially equivalent institutions. You will match based on your efforts; which school you are at matters little except for geography. Debt free at UCR is the only reasonable decision, especially with your family/friend structure nearby. Not to be abrasive but I think going to UCF just because you were impressed by the facilities and their “pitch” would be idiotic. Attend UCR and never look back.

Reactions: 5 users
Bluntly this isn’t a DO school vs Harvard. They are essentially equivalent institutions. You will match based on your efforts; which school you are at matters little except for geography. Debt free at UCR is the only reasonable decision, especially with your family/friend structure nearby. Not to be abrasive but I think going to UCF just because you were impressed by the facilities and their “pitch” would be idiotic. Attend UCR and never look back.
I would still be taking out about $120k for Cost of Living but I understand the point you make. I asked multiple M4’s what the catch was and they all told me they had exceptional experiences.

The only concern I have with UCR is that they are primarily primary care focused and their relatively small sample size of matched students points to the primary emphasis. They have matched derm, ortho, anesthesia, radiology, etc but UCF has a long proven track record and has legacy of past students in a variety of fields. Whereas I feel like I would essentially need to trail blaze my own path here at UCR.

This is such a hard decision - I think overall you would be successful at either school and would get to where you want to go either way. If you went to UCF, I'm sure you'd be able to match back into California. If you went to Riverside, there's no doubt that you would match back into California - that's just how it is.

However, if I were you and I chose UCR I might always wonder what it would have been like if I ended up choosing UCF. I think being part of a huge hospital system and medical school that supports you is incredible.

Something you want to ask yourself - would you have any regrets going to UCF? To me it seems like your gut says UCF. Over the course of your entire career, it doesn't seem like the money would be a huge difference, especially since you got a scholarship at UCF.

Good luck with your decision, and make an update on this thread when you decide :)

Hopkins has a “legacy” of matching prestigious institutions. UCF is 13 years old and matched decently into a variety of fields. By comparison UCR is 6 years old. They really are not that different. At either you will have to put in the requisite effort to score well on the USMLE. After that your dept connections will be key if you think you want to go ortho, derm etc. That is more of a product of your networking ability than what the school offers. Listen I don’t care what you choose but being that you asked for advice I believe I would be a poor advisor if I told you to go to UCF. Both will not close any doors. UCR will make it easier to stay in CA long term. Academically it’s a wash.The financial component and family support would make it a no-brainer for me (and actually did have a very similar situation myself, extremely glad I went to my state school and not the ivory tower).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Pros - Orlando there is plenty to do. Don’t have to stay in Nona area for something fun to do.

Cons - driving on I4.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also another way I can potentially cut costs at UCF even more is to do most of my 3rd year rotations outside of the schools "50 mile" radius because once you go beyond that, they pay for your housing during that rotation and put you in a school owned apartment. So a student told me if i ask for all spread out places I could potentially live for free 3rd year which looking at the sites outside that range, they are all pretty nice! Nicer than driving to Palm Desert or the Coachella valley haha

I feel like I’ve seen you post a couple of times about this, and each time, people recommend UCR, but you seem to still lean towards UCF.

I think you should go for it then! It sounds like that’s the school you’ll be the happiest at, and ultimately that’s what’s most important

I would go to UCF if I were you. I interviewed at UCR and felt the same about the facility and small class size, even though Riverside is 15 minutes away from my family and 1 hour from SO. I ended up choosing UMiami, which seems to be similar to your thoughts about UCF. I withdrew my waitlist spot at Riverside and I’m happily going to FL. Your situation is a little tricky about the tuition differences, so it really depends if you’re planning on going into a well paid specialty and comfortable to pay back those loans. For me, fit and location was super important so I’m happy with my decision.

I'm going to UCF for anyone who is still wondering haha! I understand the potential consequences of my decision but I have lived in Riverside my entire life! Now is the time for me to go and explore the world and study in a place that I know I will be happy in. UCF is that place and I am going to bust my @ss to ensure that I can come back to CA for residency just like I busted my @ss to ensure i got into medical school in the first place! GO Knights! :)

Reactions: 9 users
I'm happy you made your choice, good luck! I also grew up in Riverside County and I'm moving to Miami. We're young only once, might as well enjoy where we're at and see other parts of the country :)