UCs for out of state!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mish550

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, how hard is it to get into the UCs from out of state. I know they are already very competitive for instate applicants, but exactly how competitive is it for us out of staters?

Members don't see this ad.

Next to impossible. literally, don't waste your time and money. except UCSF, each UC takes maybe 5 out-of-staters each year. maybe 5.

This is a general question, but what is considered "out-of-state." I am a CA resident and will attend a state college, but what if had decided to attend a private college on the East Coast? When I apply to the UCs, would I be considered in-state or out-of-state?

Please excuse my ignorance! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust me, it would be nearly impossible unless you are a very, highly competitive applicant. There was only 1 person from out of state at my UC interview w/about 50 interviewees. It was sad, even that person was really confident she wouldn't get in as she was an MIT grad from the east coast. On another perspective, if I have to reapply, I'm going to be selective w/public institutions I apply out of CA being a CA resident myself as such an application would be nearly futile as I have learned from this year.

Every UC medical student I've seen from out of state has come from a Top 10 school. These are VERY competitive applicants.

PS: Yes you are still a California resident even if you move out of state FOR COLLEGE (provided you are not claiming residency in that state). If your parents are still in CA, paying taxes, etc. and you list it as your permanent residence it will be seen as so for application purposes.

It's already very hard to get into a UC as a California resident let alone as an out-of-state student. I know two girls that are CA residents. They had solid gpas and 33 and 34 MCAT scores along with many interesting extracurr. activities yet didn't even get interviews at UCs.

I think UCSF is the only UC school that accepts any significant number of students from out of state. Out-of-staters make up about 20% of the class there, or approximately 30 people a year. It's pretty competitive--the last stat I read on the numbers indicated that there were about 2500 out of state applicants for those spots. Obviously they admit more than the 30 out of state students who enter every year but it's still kind of a long shot.