UCSB CCS vs. UCSD

treeflower

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm trying to decide between UCSD (known more for pre-med, but possibly too competitive?) and the CCS program at UCSB (will allow me to take upper level courses, skip some GEs, and get research opportunities more easily in my freshman year). I come from a very (possibly overly) academically-focused high school and have heard a bit of the over-competitiveness at SD.... Any thoughts are much appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm trying to decide between UCSD (known more for pre-med, but possibly too competitive?) and the CCS program at UCSB (will allow me to take upper level courses, skip some GEs, and get research opportunities more easily in my freshman year). I come from a very (possibly overly) academically-focused high school and have heard a bit of the over-competitiveness at SD.... Any thoughts are much appreciated. :)
UCSD, if you work hard you will be fine there and there are tremendous pre med and research opps at ucsd.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UCSD, if you work hard you will be fine there and there are tremendous pre med and research opps at ucsd.

I had a 3.83 in high school UW (4.1ish I think Weighted). Although I definitely will work hard no matter where I end up, I'm concerned if that would be enough to keep up or stay ahead of everyone else.

I had a 3.83 in high school UW (4.1ish I think Weighted). Although I definitely will work hard no matter where I end up, I'm concerned if that would be enough to keep up or stay ahead of everyone else.

I went to ucsd and had a similar high school gpa. I did fine at ucsd. you have to put in the time and yes there were plenty of late nights but it is doable.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
One last concern of mine (since right now I'm about 70% towards SD) is that I'll be lost in thousands of students at SD, whereas in CCS I'll be one of a few hundred (or in CCS Bio, one of a few dozen)- which might be advantageous when applying to med schools (a more unique program). Is this a valid concern? (Thanks for answering my many questions!)

Personally would vote UCSB. UCSD has a reputation for being a constant study grind.