UCSD Acceptable Pool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told today that I have been placed in the acceptable pool at UCSD (it means waitlist) and that they wont know anything about how high I am on the list until mid-May. Then it may take until July before you hear anything. Anyone else in the same boat I am?

I know everyone on hear says a waitlist is essentially the same thing as a slow rejection, but I am still clinging onto hope as I love UCSD and dont want to go anywhere else. Feel free to share your thoughts on this or anything else you want to vent...

Members don't see this ad.

I was told today that I have been placed in the acceptable pool at UCSD (it means waitlist) and that they wont know anything about how high I am on the list until mid-May. Then it may take until July before you hear anything. Anyone else in the same boat I am?

I know everyone on hear says a waitlist is essentially the same thing as a slow rejection, but I am still clinging onto hope as I love UCSD and dont want to go anywhere else. Feel free to share your thoughts on this or anything else you want to vent...

I think a lot of people get off this acceptable pool...or at least that's what they said when I interviewed.

I'm in the same boat. Interviewed early February and have been sitting in the acceptable pool ever since. It's my first choice too. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you find out that you made the acceptable pool? Did you recieve a call or a letter or was there a status change online?

Don't worry about being in the acceptable pool, at interviews they told us that 70% of that pool was offered an acceptance last year...you just have to wait longer unfortunately.

i second sona's questions.

also, when did you interview?

i heard this year's M1 class of 122 people has 79 off the waitlist, so it's not the end of the world...

i second sona's questions.

also, when did you interview?

also, i heard this year's M1 class of 122 people has 79 off the waitlist, so it's not the end of the world...

I think if you've been reviewed (they meet every two weeks) you can just call in to get an update. They are very nice on the phone and totally willing to help you find out what stage of the process your app is in. Good luck!

How did you find out that you made the acceptable pool? Did you recieve a call or a letter or was there a status change online?

Don't worry about being in the acceptable pool, at interviews they told us that 70% of that pool was offered an acceptance last year...you just have to wait longer unfortunately.

I called in and they told me that I would be placed in that pool and that there will be no movement until after May 15th

I'm in the acceptable pool too and UCSD is my first choice! :(

anyone heard of any tips for getting in???

does anyone know how many more MD and MD-PhD applicants they may accept when they increase their class size to 134 this year???

Also, did they say they are interviewing 550 or 500 people (and accepting about 300) this year?

Thanks!

anyone heard of any tips for getting in???

does anyone know how many more MD and MD-PhD applicants they may accept when they increase their class size to 134 this year???

Also, did they say they are interviewing 550 or 500 people (and accepting about 300) this year?

Thanks!

They said they will interview about 550 this year with 300 getting acceptances, putting 250 in the acceptable pool along with myself. Im assuming that they rank the acceptable pool also to see who gets offered acceptances first. That being said, its hard to imagine that out of 300 acceptances sent that over 200 will withdraw and allow movement on the waitlist...

dreamman...sorry to say, logic is flawed...they only give out like 120-140 acceptances initially and then will pull about 100-120 off the acceptable pool which will have like 300-350 people in it....or more...

dreamman...sorry to say, logic is flawed...they only give out like 120-140 acceptances initially and then will pull about 100-120 off the acceptable pool which will have like 300-350 people in it....or more...

really?? well the good news is that there will def be movement off the pool, and the bad news is that puts a lot more people in the running for those spots

So I called the admissions office and this woman picked up who seemed kind of confused. She told me I am in the acceptable pool but then gave this horrible explanation of how they go about choosing people off this list. So let me get this clear...After your interview, if you are not accepted, you are placed on the waitlist. Then, if you qualify, you will be placed on the acceptable pool from which they choose people when admittees drop their acceptances. Is this correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Initially, I think those that are interviewed but not accepted are placed in the acceptable pool, and then some rejections may be given out to those in the acceptable pool to make up the waiting list.

yep, coral is right

Initially, I think those that are interviewed but not accepted are placed in the acceptable pool, and then some rejections may be given out to those in the acceptable pool to make up the waiting list.

Does that all happen after May 15th?

more or less...yeah...a few b4 but not many

This is actually what i heard too...

any luck for anyone yet?

i am so clueless about it...i think a week after may 15th...but I am just blabbing...I have no insight

I don't know if this will make you feel any better... but my roommate decided to withdraw from UCSD this morning!

Good luck guys!:luck:

I swam in this pool for quite a while 3 years ago...now I'm finishing up 3rd year at Western University of Health Sciences -- could've saved myself over 1/2 the cost of tuition that I'm paying now if I had somehow made it out of the pool.

One thing you can do, which they don't tell you...is start wherever you get in...and if UCSD gives you some love...you can request to be released from wherever you matriculated. Happens all the time.

Good luck to you all though - I know it sucks, but hang in there.

Hey guys,

As all of us our intently waiting for May 15thish I thought we could make a list of those of us in the pool, and the date we hear from them....when we do...

I'll go first:

ganesha123

One thing you can do, which they don't tell you...is start wherever you get in...and if UCSD gives you some love...you can request to be released from wherever you matriculated. Happens all the time.

OMG. This is completely WRONG.

Please no one try this.

It is clearly stated in AMCAS rules that you CANNOT do this:

Immediately upon enrollment in, or initiation of an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school, each applicant withdraw his or her application from consideration at all other schools at which he or she remains under consideration.

In fact, its against AMCAS' rules for a school to even offer you a position once you've started, and they get lists of your acceptance offers so they would know.
No school make an acceptance offer, either verbal or written, to any individual who has enrolled in, or begun an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school. Enrollment is defined as being officially matriculated as a member of the school's first-year entering class.

The day you start at one school (attend orientation), you MUST withdraw from all other waitlists. Once you begin matriculation at one school you are absolutely married to that school and can no longer accept a position off of a waitlist at another school, so don't even try it you will be very disapointed.

Why?! Why do people claim things that are absolutely false - especially in regards to something so important.

best pwnage i have seen in a while :thumbup:

edit - i am dropping my spot soon, heres to hoping one of you guys get it!

I think we should also note if we're is or oos as there are separate lists (I asked the admissions office and they said so!)...

OOS List:
Teammonkeys123

IS List???:
ganesha123

OOS List:
Teammonkeys123

IS List:
ganesha123 (?)
coral

Anybody want to theorize if the pool/waitlist is ranked and if sending a letter of interest would have any effect?

OOS List:
Teammonkeys123

IS List:
ganesha123 (?)
coral
sagemedecon

Added myself

OOS List:
Teammonkeys123

IS List:
ganesha123 (?)
coral
sagemedecon
Bolo

Anybody want to theorize if the pool/waitlist is ranked and if sending a letter of interest would have any effect?

I have NO idea... that's a good question!

but to add to your question, anyone wanna theorize how many out of staters will be dropping their acceptances? *voice of desperation here*

Why?! Why do people claim things that are absolutely false - especially in regards to something so important.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we watch it happen with our very own eyes? Good luck.

OOS List:
Teammonkeys123

IS List:
ganesha123
coral
sagemedecon
Bolo

hey guys..i feel so proud i started a small list....teammonkey (what do you mean you asked the medical school!!!!)???

anyways...i have a feeling that somehow it is ranked..but I don't know...

this is the only school I have a shot at right now, so it is either this or nothing...

also, if you are in the pool, but already know you are going somewhere else for sure.....don't worry about listing....:)

interest never hurts guys.....and everyone on the admission staff at UCSD is so nice......

oh that was humor...sorry..i seem to have lost mine in this application process...teammonkey.....don't worry...out of staters will drop!!!

OOS List:
Teammonkeys123

IS List:
ganesha123
coral
sagemedecon
Bolo
Instigata

Adding to the list. Does anybody want to post stats? Also, is anybody going to UCSD undergrad?

Hey Ganesha and all that are reading this,

I office of admissions said that there are two separate acceptable pool lists(wailists). One is for instate and the other is for out of state... i wish everyone instate good luck, because everyone I met from cali is just soooooo nice and supportive.

I really think that i may want to go to ucsd more than any other oos'er, but I'm pretty positive that i'm not a very competitive oos'er... i know they only accept like 40 oosers out of the 80 or so they interview, but i'm sure they've already accepted 30 and i wonder if any of those really want to go somewhere else rather than ucsd...also, most of these oos'ers are MD/PhD, which I'm not...I know they accept very few MD oos'ers so I think my prospects are grim, because not only do I have to wait for an OOSer to drop out, but he/she also has to be an MD applicant (not MD/PhD)...And if they really accept those off the waitlist who are similar to those who gave up their acceptance, my chances are probably shot, because I bet the other oos'ers are really really smart and stuff...

sorry for the pity party, but i just had this epiphany last night... :O(

hey guys..i feel so proud i started a small list....teammonkey (what do you mean you asked the medical school!!!!)???

anyways...i have a feeling that somehow it is ranked..but I don't know...

this is the only school I have a shot at right now, so it is either this or nothing...

also, if you are in the pool, but already know you are going somewhere else for sure.....don't worry about listing....:)

interest never hurts guys.....and everyone on the admission staff at UCSD is so nice......

OOS List:
Teammonkeys123

IS List:
ganesha123
coral
sagemedecon
Bolo
Instigata

Adding to the list. Does anybody want to post stats? Also, is anybody going to UCSD undergrad?

OOS List:
Teammonkeys123

IS List:
ganesha123 (4.0 GPA, 45R)
coral
sagemedecon
Bolo
Instigata

sorry I just wanted to troll once....

OOS List:
Teammonkeys123

IS List:
ganesha123 (4.0 GPA, 45R)
coral
sagemedecon
Bolo
Instigata
dreamman

Added myself. Best of luck to all of us out there! The admissions staff at UCSD is awesome, so Im sure after May 15th we will start to see movement, and even if we dont, you can call and they will be more than happy to tell you your status.

OOS List:
Teammonkeys123

IS List:
ganesha123
coral
sagemedecon
Bolo
Instigata
dreamman

OOS List:
Teammonkeys123
melissainsd

IS List:
ganesha123
coral
sagemedecon
Bolo
Instigata
dreamman

I added myself, although I went to Poway High School and lived in SD until I was 23, so I really don't feel like an OOSer.

OOS List:
Teammonkeys123
melissainsd

IS List:
ganesha123
coral
sagemedecon
Bolo
Instigata
dreamman
barcelona-bound

i'm in good company :laugh:

good luck! and hope to see you all at the end of the summer!!!!!

OOS List:
Teammonkeys123
melissainsd
pirata

IS List:
ganesha123
coral
sagemedecon
Bolo
Instigata

I grew up in Cali and went to undergrad there, then moved to Florida at 21. So I'm technically out of state, but don't really feel it either.

oops, sorry BB! I guess I was getting too happy with the quote deleting!

oops, sorry BB! I guess I was getting too happy with the quote deleting!

Hey pirata! It looks like we had the same job (but they called me a SARS Patient Advocate). I did it for 4 years too. I've never met anyone else applying that was a fellow patient advocate/sexual assault exam coordinator. I'm rooting for you (at Baylor too).

Hey pirata! It looks like we had the same job (but they called me a SARS Patient Advocate). I did it for 4 years too. I've never met anyone else applying that was a fellow patient advocate/sexual assault exam coordinator. I'm rooting for you (at Baylor too).

Hey Melissainsd,

Yeah, I've been rooting for you at Baylor as well! Who knows, maybe we can meet up one day and swap stories! Most of the folks I work with are in the social work track, so it's kewl to meet someone else that does the same work entering medicine!