UCSD alternate list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fusionid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got an email today from UCSD. I am part of their alternate list. Does it mean I have a good chance? Anyone knows someone who got off the list and is now a student?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Fusionid,

I don't know if the alternate list is ranked at all, but here is what happened with me:

5/19: received e-mail telling me I've been placed on the alternate list

5/20: received e-mail from Dean Resnick asking me to call UCSD because they have "news" for me; called and found out I got in! (but I've decided to go to UCLA)

It seems like there is definitely movement off the alternate list, and there could be more as May turns into June. Good luck!

Hi fusionid,

I just got the alternate list email today too. I wonder if everyone who was in acceptable pool that didn't get accepted already got put on this list. Or did they actually reject anyone post-interview?

Thanks for the info, Arginine. Now we're going to be nervously checking email tomorrow. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for posting Arginine and not going to UCSD :D
:p
opens up a spot for us :)

me too. i am now officially an alternate, for whatever that is worth

I rejected my acceptance last week, that is at least a spot for you guys...Good Luck...

I see under your location it says SD, why did you decide not to go?

hmm...am I the only one in the acceptable pool that didn't get the alternate e-mail?

Sorta enjoyed the undergrad, but wanted to expand my horizons...And besides, just couldn't say no to Hopkins ;)

just wanted to remind if anyone gets out of the alternate list to post here :)

I posted elsewhere, but I'll put it in here too. I was emailed about being on the waitlist on May 28 and was offered a spot in the class on June 2. Good luck, there's still plenty of time, but I know the waiting sucks.

from what I heard from the admissions office, the acceptable pool has been reduced to about 125 applicants, and those left will be reviewed throughout the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all!

Am I to understand that the alternate list is a "new and improved" waitlist that now consists of 125 people??

anyone know about how many they take off the list in a typical year?

a friend of mine got accepted last week. I am still waiting myself. He was in the alternate list and bugged the heck out of them constantly. He lives in SD and works nearby so it was earier. Maybe I'll go bug them next week

he bugged them by calling??

no
comming by, talking to all the secretaries there, he even talked to the dea before the admissions process started to see if he had a chance. Really, he got one of his LOR to call and all sorts of things. At any rate this guy deserved that spot, very hard working

Originally posted by mandinga
from what I heard from the admissions office, the acceptable pool has been reduced to about 125 applicants, and those left will be reviewed throughout the summer.

is there some sort of ranking that you know about?

thanks

I don't know of any ranking, all I know is that the original Acceptable Pool has been reduced to about 125 and all others have been sent rejections. I read elsewhere on the board that the list is ranked (from posts last year), but I cannot personally confirm.

Hope this helps somewhat~

yeah I dunno if stopping by would help, I think I am going to try next week. Maybe someone can tell me if it is ranked and what are my changes.

i asked someone in the Ad Office and they said the list is not ranked.

Originally posted by tekram
i asked someone in the Ad Office and they said the list is not ranked.

thanks tekram and good luck!

just called, they two spots that just became available. who is the lucky one?:p

not me, yet :rolleyes:

hey all, i got pulled off the list over a week ago. dunno if that's the spot they,re talking about. good luck to fusionidnd all others!

so are you going there or elsewhere? congrats.

no news yet. I emailed and they said that "thanks for your patience". Funny I sure got no more left. I hope I still have a chance

good luck fusionid. i'm rooting for you.

thanks, are u going to SD? You'll have to change your name to Gopadres :D

not likely. but thank goodness i'm not in gododgers territory.

I signed my letter of acceptance recently.

I was told that the list is NOT ranked and that, when spots open up, all the files are taken out and reviewed.

Now I gotta find an apt in La Jolla....it will be a pain but it is a good pain to have.:D

Hope to see you guys there in the fall....best of luck.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

did you do anything to show extra interest or any tip that would help at this point?

It was a combination of things...timing sending letter of intent, update letters, extra letter of rec.

One of your letter writers sent an update of my activities (rather than myself) to give it more weight. In my case it was the person I was doing research with; the extra LOR was from one of our collaborators.

Quality not quantity.

Best of luck!

yeah went over to my research Pos docs today to ask for a little push. The main guy was on vacation and comes back on friday. I hope I still have a chance.

I went over to the office today and the secretary was very nice. Kind of ackward, she usually doesn't care and acts like I'm really bothering her. Must have been someone in the room... thanks to her anyways, she told me that the last acceptance was last week. Must have been your DrDRE. She didn't say much besides that!

Fusionid,

Just going to the office is not going to do anything for you, neither will phoning in. Heck, I can tell you exactly what you will hear from them.

Have your PI or postdoc write the update letter (preferably the PI), short and sweet: update on what you have been doing in the lab lately and reiterating how they feel about you and why they think you will be a good fit.

I assume you already sent your personal update/letter of intent?

Once you get that done...go to the beach buddy and do not stress over it.

Class does not start for another 5/6 weeks...there is time. Although...I guess I do not know when Davis starts....

Fusionid,

Just going to the office is not going to do anything for you, neither will phoning in. Heck, I can tell you exactly what you will hear from them.

Have your PI or postdoc write the update letter (preferably the PI), short and sweet: update on what you have been doing in the lab lately and reiterating how they feel about you and why they think you will be a good fit.

I assume you already sent your personal update/letter of intent?

Once you get that done...go to the beach buddy and do not stress over it.

Class does not start for another 5/6 weeks...there is time.

Oh...and have him send that baby fedex next day.