UCSD AP credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evilolive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow. I just found out I can't apply because I didn't take the molecular/cell introductory biology class because I AP'd out of it. My biology AP only exempts me from the animal biology part of the requirement. How frustrating. I offered to take upper division courses in it but I don't know if they'll accept it. This certainly punishes students good students high school who wanted to get ahead only to find themselves disadvantaged.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you. I took AP Chemistry in high school. My school accepted the exam and awarded me full year of gen chem. Afterwards I took organic and other chem classes and got A's in all of them. Well, apparently some pharmacy schools want me to take Gen chem II at my college which is rediculous. Since I have taken upper level chemistry classes, I am pretty sure I know my gen chem stuff..

evilolive said:
Wow. I just found out I can't apply because I didn't take the molecular/cell introductory biology class because I AP'd out of it. My biology AP only exempts me from the animal biology part of the requirement. How frustrating. I offered to take upper division courses in it but I don't know if they'll accept it. This certainly punishes students good students high school who wanted to get ahead only to find themselves disadvantaged.

You guys should talk to the schools about it because I'm sure A LOT of students are in the same situation as you. Luckily my high school didn't have many AP classes, so I only have Calc BC and I know UCSF (and therefore, probably UCSD too) is accepting that for one calculus class. Maybe it'll be the same for biology, or did they tell you that you have to take it again?

Members don't see this ad :)
senzabee said:
You guys should talk to the schools about it because I'm sure A LOT of students are in the same situation as you. Luckily my high school didn't have many AP classes, so I only have Calc BC and I know UCSF (and therefore, probably UCSD too) is accepting that for one calculus class. Maybe it'll be the same for biology, or did they tell you that you have to take it again?
You and I would ASS+U+ME that the UC system is uniform in its graduate school requirements, but this pretty ridiculous. I have Calc BC too so that satisfies the entire two calculus course requirements :) (I assume you got a 3 if it exempted you from the first calculus sequence). I think it does for UCSD as well. AP credits aren't as useful as they seem. I have about 5 left over from high school that I never used.

evilolive said:
You and I would ASS+U+ME that the UC system is uniform in its graduate school requirements, but this pretty ridiculous. I have Calc BC too so that satisfies the entire two calculus course requirements :) (I assume you got a 3 if it exempted you from the first calculus sequence). I think it does for UCSD as well. AP credits aren't as useful as they seem. I have about 5 left over from high school that I never used.

Oh, I actually got a 5.

What's funny is that UCSF wants two semesters of calculus, and because I got a 5, I skipped Calc I and went straight to II and III during freshmen year. I looked at the equivalency list for my university, and they want Calc I and II. So I emailed them that I instead took Calc II and III...and you would FIGURE that they'd be okay with that, especially when it's a higher level and all...but nooooo, I have to go through the hassle of getting my AP scores sent to them, which is more money that I don't want to spend. I wouldn't mind spending the money for the AP scores if I did so-so in the two classes, but I got A's in both so I don't see the point.

And I forgot that a 5 covers the whole calc requirement, thanks for reminding me :D