UCSD Extension (Concurrent Enrollment Program): Is there guaranteed enrollment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albertwhatjob

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spoke with the Concurrent Enrollment office and they say that you can only enter classes on a space-available basis, and only after all matriculated students (undergrads) have been admitted. I just checked the availability for the Fall classes and ALL the BIO and Organic Chemistry classes/sections are already FULL.

It seems highly doubtful that anyone could get into these classes given this policy and the popularity of the classes.

It would be pretty risky for me to move to San Diego without even knowing if I'd be able to get into certain classes, right? Does anyone who has used this program have any advice?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Albert~ I'm actually trying to get into a few classes this quarter through concurrent enrollment. i'm trying to get into gen chem, o-chem, bio, and phys. i don't want all 4 classes - but i figure i'll try to keep up with all of them and see what i end up getting into. Before venturing into this, I called the extension office to see what my chances are. Each time I've called, they've always told me that they've "never had a problem accomodating extension students" in the past. So I was pretty encouraged by that.

Unfortuntely - I've found otherwise. My bio professors in particular are reluctant to sign my extension registration card. I won't know until third week (Oct 10th) if I've gotten into any classes. I know that I'll probably get into o-chem (it's not full) - but with every other class, it doesn't look good so far. The wait lists for the chem and bio are about 60 people long - and they have more priority than I do. Who knows - I could still possibly get into the classes, but to be realistic - it seems improbable. And so... yes - it would seem risky to move to San Diego to try to do this. If I were you, I'd look into schools that formally accept post-bacc students.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

**update** hey albert. so it's 3rd week - and I got into 3 of the 4 classes. I guess lots of students drop the classes as the quarter wears on. (I got into BIO with 17 spots left, and physiology with 20+ spots left). It was a real rollercoaster for me - some days I thought I was gonna get in, and others I was really discouraged - but in the end, things worked out. I didn't get into the Gen Chem - they were overloaded, beyond Fire Mashall codes in that class! Will have to try to get that class again next quarter. So, it's really a hit or a miss with Concurrent Enrollment. Luckily, I have a hit.