UCSD Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leila8888

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any know how it REALLY is at UCSD for general surgery? I know about Moosa's bad reputation, but is this rumor or fact? I have heard that it is not as malignant as it used to be. Is this true???

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I'm a 3rd year med student at UCSD, and I not particularly interested in surgery, so I don't know about the reputation of the program as compared to others.

BUT...i have done surgery, and I did have the pleasure of working with Dr. Moosa. My experience is that his reputation is vastly overstated. He's actually a really funny guy, and a brilliant surgeon, although if you screw up, he he will tell you in a very blunt manner, usually with lots of profanity.

The surgery residents at UCSD seem like I would expect surgery residents to be in general--overworked and stressed out. But, they get to live in San Diego, which is a big plus.

-mrp

During your experience on surgery at UCSD, did you feel that women were treated differently than men (esp. by Moosa)? ...that was another rumor I heard. thanks.