SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UCSD Surgery

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by leila8888, Mar 2, 2002.

1. leila8888

leila8888 Junior Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Sacramento
    Any know how it REALLY is at UCSD for general surgery? I know about Moosa's bad reputation, but is this rumor or fact? I have heard that it is not as malignant as it used to be. Is this true???

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. mrp

mrp Member 10+ Year Member

May 9, 2001
    Okay, I'm a 3rd year med student at UCSD, and I not particularly interested in surgery, so I don't know about the reputation of the program as compared to others.

BUT...i have done surgery, and I did have the pleasure of working with Dr. Moosa. My experience is that his reputation is vastly overstated. He's actually a really funny guy, and a brilliant surgeon, although if you screw up, he he will tell you in a very blunt manner, usually with lots of profanity.

The surgery residents at UCSD seem like I would expect surgery residents to be in general--overworked and stressed out. But, they get to live in San Diego, which is a big plus.

-mrp

4. leila8888

leila8888 Junior Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Sacramento
    During your experience on surgery at UCSD, did you feel that women were treated differently than men (esp. by Moosa)? ...that was another rumor I heard. thanks.