UCSD, UCSB, Pitzer or Cal Pol SLO?

Started by crisart56
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

crisart56

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking for a future as a Pediatric Intensivist. Which school, between UCSD, UCSB, Cal Poly SLO and Pitzer, provides the better launch pad for getting into Med School? I was accepted into the Biology programs of all. I am looking for great education but also an enjoyable college experience. I am a female, if that matters.

Thanks
 
You should strongly consider Pitzer. You might think that smaller schools will not give you good college experience but it is nice to have small class room size where you Professors could give you good individual attention. Going to UCs have its pros but it will be hard to know get to professors who have 150 kids to look after.
 
I go to a different Claremont college and I will say this-- the above poster is absolutely right about the value of a small class size and professors who know you and can write good letters of rec. That alone might be a good enough reason to go there. That said, Pitzer is NOT very pre-professional AT ALL. It is a great place to be an english major, a sociology major, an environmental studies major... but not the strongest place to be a premed. It's just not Pitzer's focus at all, and people who are pre-professional there often feel out of place. Pitzer doesn't even have its own science department-- it shares with CMC and Scripps. It still might be a better option than a state school.... but consider yourself warned.