UCSD, UCSF secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moto

RHA
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My AMCAS was verified first week of July. I still haven't heard from UCSF or UCSD, are secondaries still coming?
Are they notifying rejected applicants? :scared: :scared: :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Moto said:
My AMCAS was verified first week of July. I still haven't heard from UCSF or UCSD, are secondaries still coming?
I was also verified in the first week of July. I'm not a CA resident. I received a UCSD application about 5 weeks ago, but I still have yet to hear from UCSF. Have you checked the status page at the two schools?
UCSD: http://meded-portal.ucsd.edu/admissions/index.cfm
UCSF: https://www.medschool.ucsf.edu/appstatus/login.asp

drinklord said:
I was also verified in the first week of July. I'm not a CA resident. I received a UCSD application about 5 weeks ago, but I still have yet to hear from UCSF. Have you checked the status page at the two schools?
UCSD: http://meded-portal.ucsd.edu/admissions/index.cfm
UCSF: https://www.medschool.ucsf.edu/appstatus/login.asp

Yes I checked them both and they just have the date when they received my AMCAS. I guess no news is better than bad news. Just wondering if anyone else received a secondary this late from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moto said:

I was also verified the first week of july and I received a snail mail rejection from UCSF last week. Did you double check your mail stash? Because my online status still says "under review".

UCSF must have some sort of pre-secondary "hold" status. They received my AMCAS on Aug 15, and I havent heard a word from them, while some people have been rejected and others have received the secondary. I even called them on Friday to see if I had some how missed a rejection letter in the mail, and they told me that nothing had been sent out to me yet (meaning no decision on my app). Who knows... maybe im in, maybe im out; time will tell....

I'm an out of state applicant to both of these schools and do not yet have an MCAT score (took the Aug 2005). I've received a secondary from UCSF (9/27) and no word yet from UCSD.

UCSF is sending out rejections. I received mine last week.

WayChanger said:
UCSF is sending out rejections. I received mine last week.

I havent heard back from those two either and I was confirmed long ago. Good luck to you all.

haven't heard from them either, including UCD and UCLA.

I guess I'm destined to move from California..

Hello,
My application was sent to UCSD in early July.
I received an email from a staffer there notifying me that I needed one more organic class to meet their requirements. They asked me to send along the name of the course and the school that I planning to take to meet this requirement. They did not say they needed this immediately or give any deadline.
Then ......... nothing. In Sept. I found out that other people were getting interviews and I was surprised that I hadn't been asked for a secondary.
So, I had a feeling maybe my application was not reviewed yet. I sent them a course name for that scheduled class and INSTANTLY got an email for a secondary.
So, I reccomend emailing to see if your application has been reviewed yet and if not, why.
I have had all my emails replied to in a day or two, so that is a good way to get ahold of them.

I was part of the 8/15 crowd of applicants for ucsf. I recieved their secondary today! So they are still coming for those people waiting. GL :)

I was told by UCSF that they had received my application on 8/15, but no news since then.

I was told by UCSD that they had received my application on 8/9. I was given a secondary on 8/29.

Just got my secondary from UCSF! They received my application on the 15th of August.

I was also in the 8/15 batch for UCSF. No word yet... perhaps soon though. Also out of state. I expect the rejection letter/email to be arriving shortly.

As for UCSD, I was super happy that I was given a secondary. Tackled that long (but short) autobiography and nasty EC grid, mailed it in, and waited... Then on 9/20, I was notified that I was placed on an "interview hold" (guess that's better than a flat-out rejection). In their email, UCSD says they only interview 25% of applicants (whether that's total number of secondaries or the total number of AMCAS designations, I don't know).

ChyLn said:
Just got my secondary from UCSF! They received my application on the 15th of August.

that's encouraging.... i don't want to give up hopes...not yet

but the waiting is getting on my nerve! i check my status page several times a day...even at night, when there is no one working in the admission office... :D

okapiSF said:
Hello,
My application was sent to UCSD in early July.
I received an email from a staffer there notifying me that I needed one more organic class to meet their requirements. They asked me to send along the name of the course and the school that I planning to take to meet this requirement. They did not say they needed this immediately or give any deadline.
Then ......... nothing. In Sept. I found out that other people were getting interviews and I was surprised that I hadn't been asked for a secondary.
So, I had a feeling maybe my application was not reviewed yet. I sent them a course name for that scheduled class and INSTANTLY got an email for a secondary.
So, I reccomend emailing to see if your application has been reviewed yet and if not, why.
I have had all my emails replied to in a day or two, so that is a good way to get ahold of them.
Thanks for the advice. I emailed UCSD and they said that my application had been reviewed and they decided not to give me a secondary but they will rego through all them in late Fall / early Winter and make final decisions about a secondary. I have gotten secondaries from all the other UCs besides SD, so I'm still a little confused why I wouldn't get one from them. This is my first sign of sort of rejection so far, but at least now I don't feel the need to check the status page meticulously every day.

I recieved a UCSF secondary about 1-2 weeks ago and I was verified in the 8/15 batch of applicants.

doublepeak said:
Thanks for the advice. I emailed UCSD and they said that my application had been reviewed and they decided not to give me a secondary but they will rego through all them in late Fall / early Winter and make final decisions about a secondary. I have gotten secondaries from all the other UCs besides SD, so I'm still a little confused why I wouldn't get one from them. This is my first sign of sort of rejection so far, but at least now I don't feel the need to check the status page meticulously every day.

I recieved a UCSF secondary about 1-2 weeks ago and I was verified in the 8/15 batch of applicants.

I know how you feel about UCSD. I have received secondaries from every UC except UCLA and it's driving me crazy! I don't know if I should call and ask if I should expect one or just let it go and concentrate on the other schools. It's wierd because I've received secondaries from schools that are more selective. That's hot it goes, I guess! No one said this application process made sense.

doublepeak said:

UCSD told me that "at this time we decided not to award you a secondary, final decisions will go out in November." Nothing about reviewing my file again in late Fall. So UCSD, thanks for stringing me along for this long! Great, and UCI has put me on a hold. :( :( :(