UCSD vs. UCI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which should I choose?

• UC Irvine

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • UC San Diego

Votes: 47 61.8%

• Total voters
DK, I tried to pm you and your box is full.

Maybe so many people match in SoCal because they want to stay there? What is Einstein's match list like? Mostly NYC and the Northeast?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by LoneCoyote
DK, I tried to pm you and your box is full.

Maybe so many people match in SoCal because they want to stay there? What is Einstein's match list like? Mostly NYC and the Northeast?

Working on getting it. They are still putting it together.

I guess I don't have to worry about deciding on Einstein since I wouldn't be admitted before May 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DoctorKevin
Right but if I go to UCSD and do reasonably well, do I have a great chance of being able to do my residency in new york city if I want? It seems like most UCSD grads end up in Southern CA for life and that's soooooo not what I want.

if you do well in sd...ill tell you this...you can match ANYWHERE!

sd is a top medical school and is well respected. most people that match end up in cali cause the students WANT to stay in cali not because they were shut out from out of state programs. there are the few people who choose to go out of state and they get into excellent programs. so i dont think you have to worry about getting into a residency in ny just as long as you did fine at sd.

Originally posted by LoneCoyote
My impression is it would be. Than again, I have not looked at the US NEws rankings recently ;)

I did grow up in the Northeast and I can tell you that Einstein is a very well respected school and their grads seemed to be well respected and successful. So if you decided you wanted to stay in NYC or head to Boston or something it seem like it would take you far.

I know someone who was debating between Pitt, Einstein, and USC and ended up choosing USC for family reasons but from what she said it sounded like she could have been happy and done very well with a degree from any of the 3 schools.

lol, now your box is full.

will do. i just got in from lunch :) try to re-send in a few minutes.

Eraserhead,

We have the same MCAT scores! I mean exactly down to the subsections.

I'm biased here because I am a UCSD med student. But I'll tell you that you should go to UCSD. There was probably some truth to the notorious UCSD rumor YEARS ago. But it is not so now. My classmates are intelligent, motivated, and competitive but they are also very compassionate and nice people.

The professors here are very accomplished clinicians and researchers who are on top of their field.

If you want proof that not all UCSD med students are hardcore gunners, take me as an example. I just want to pass my classes. I'm not bent on honoring. I didn't study this whole afternoon and I'm just waiting right now for my favorite TV show "24" to start. I'm such a slacker. Although, I'll regret it at the end of the week.

UCSD all the way !!!!!!

Go Tritons!
(BTW, UCSD's sports department needs lots of improvements)

Wow, I just realized I haven't posted on SDN for over a year!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

hooray for slacking!

thanks for the input, i'm 95% set on UCSD now unless a waitlist goes through in may or june.

its pretty shocking/ annoying/ anxiety provoking about the ucsd rumors, but from now on i'm only talking to current students and all of the feedback has been very positive. :)

Oops, I should address you as DoctorKevin.
Why the name change?

I have been reading your posts from time to time and I think that I have made an accurate psychological profile of you. You, my friend, belong at UCSD ;)

LOL, why do I belong? Don't worry I can take it :)

Eraserhead, a tribute to my favorite filmaker... Lynch. and tired of being called "Kev" :)

hey i just wanted to throw out that i am from irvine, grew up and went to high school there, and am planning on going to UCI so if anyone has any questions about irvine, orange county, underserved areas, whats fun, whats not, etc let me know.....

Originally posted by hbocc11
hey i just wanted to throw out that i am from irvine, grew up and went to high school there, and am planning on going to UCI so if anyone has any questions about irvine, orange county, underserved areas, whats fun, whats not, etc let me know.....

When you say "underserved," I'm assuming that you mean not enough doctors. If anything, OC has a ton of doctors. The East asians and Persians communities seem to pump out a ton of doctors... doesn't seem like OC has a shortage of doctors, even in places like Santa Ana.

In referring to underserved areas I was referring more to areas that you as a med student or resident would have the oppurtunity to do outreach into communities that lack sufficient medical care to all of their residents, and OC, in places like santa ana and parts of north orange county. obviously, orange county does have lots of doctors so in terms of serving the underserved, i can think of many other places nationwide that you could achieve this better. but in comparing ucsd to uci, i feel as if the oppurtunities as a med student/resident are roughly equal....i dont think one could say that at one of those schools you would recive considerably more access to underserved areas...thye are very similar in terms of communties

Originally posted by hamhamfan
When you say "underserved," I'm assuming that you mean not enough doctors. If anything, OC has a ton of doctors. The East asians and Persians communities seem to pump out a ton of doctors... doesn't seem like OC has a shortage of doctors, even in places like Santa Ana.

According to the AAMC, Orange County (and Los Angeles Country for those of you who care) are "underserved". How do I know this? When I typed in my "Legal Residence County" (Los Angeles) and my parents "Legal Residence Country" (Orange County), a "U" appeared in superscript. The application guideline states that the "U" stands for "Underserved".

Originally posted by hamhamfan

oh we need em.

oc needs em.
maybe not the rich places in oc...but the other places...yes.