Ucsd??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AxlxA said:
urg, another day with no phone call.

Yeah, tell me about it. :( Oh UCSD...I want you so bad, baby.

Members don't see this ad.

i hear you guys. i'm trying to let go, i think my chances of getting in are slim to none now :( . i need to stay off SDN for awhile (like that's gonna happen). good luck everyone.

I talked to Dr Kelly. She said they have only offered a small number of people acceptances since May 15th. And she doesn't anticipate much more acceptances for the next two weeks. She informed me that people are accepted even in July so be hopeful.

And yes, staying off SDN was very thearaputic for me back in Feb/March/April. I had less stress.

But i received stress from my work... i had 2 break outs of Shingles!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, i'm 95% certain i'm gonna be at ucsd next year so i just wanted to say hi to all those acceped and wish best of luck to all those still on the waitlist :luck:

AxlxA said:
I talked to Dr Kelly. She said they have only offered a small number of people acceptances since May 15th. And she doesn't anticipate much more acceptances for the next two weeks. She informed me that people are accepted even in July so be hopeful.

And yes, staying off SDN was very thearaputic for me back in Feb/March/April. I had less stress.

But i received stress from my work... i had 2 break outs of Shingles!!!

ugh, shingles. i wondered where you disappeared to (don't worry, i'm not stalking you, i just remembered you'd interviewed at UCSD)! thanks for the info by the way. i wonder when she's expecting to give more out if she's not planning on it for a couple of weeks? isn't this when the waitlist is supposed to start moving? :confused: oh well, just sit tight and wait (some more)!

Does anyone have a link to UCSD's latest Match List?

Mutt said:
Thanks, that was very cool of you.

UCSD makes you cool.

joecool2.jpg

I just talked to admissions, and they said that there has been 'very little movement' out of the acceptable applicant pool (which they referred to as "that group"), but that they anticipate 'some' prior to the first day of class. What is that supposed to mean? They don't have a waitlist, so obviously there has to be some kind of movement, right?

actually wheni called yesterday, they said "there was some good movement last week. And i think about 3 hours ago around 11am someone else was acecpted." - that was told to me from one of the staff.

Patience is what I have to say.

AxlxA said:
actually wheni called yesterday, they said "there was some good movement last week. And i think about 3 hours ago around 11am someone else was acecpted." - that was told to me from one of the staff.

Patience is what I have to say.

are they making a waitlist soon? I'm guessing that based on previous years, right?

i think there's been much less movement this year than previous years. :( only a few from SDN have been accepted which is somewhat surprising to me (if there has indeed been good movement). i know of two people that were accepted last week. patience, patience, patience! (and plans to move in the meantime!)

Members don't see this ad :)
LT2 said:
i think there's been much less movement this year than previous years.

Argh, that's what they told me LAST cycle at Cincinnati! Why is every year I apply the year schools get much less movement? :p Actually I think it's a trend, next year will be even worse, and then in a couple more years waitlists will become ceremonial.

Messerschmitts said:
Argh, that's what they told me LAST cycle at Cincinnati! Why is every year I apply the year schools get much less movement? :p Actually I think it's a trend, next year will be even worse, and then in a couple more years waitlists will become ceremonial.

I agree...as the population increases, and the economy slides, more people go into medicine...

FutureDoc2005 said:
are they making a waitlist soon? I'm guessing that based on previous years, right?

Based on what "drhouse" mentioned about a 'group' it sounds as if they already made it.

Actually, when I talked to admissions, they said they were going to have MORE waitlist people come off the list as time goes... er, maybe that's what they anticipate (which doesn't mean it'll happen)???

discus said:
Actually, when I talked to admissions, they said they were going to have MORE waitlist people come off the list as time goes... er, maybe that's what they anticipate (which doesn't mean it'll happen)???

Can you explain the basis for this (did they give you one?) or what the circumstances surrounding your converation were?

Mutt said:
Can you explain the basis for this (did they give you one?) or what the circumstances surrounding your converation were?

Second that

Mutt said:

I called and asked how the waitlist movement was going (whether there was any), and was told that people were being pulled off. Then, was told there would be more people being pulled off the acceptable pool (and that it was unranked right now), over time. Apparently, they also want us to keep them posted about new info, the fact that you're still interested, etc... believe me, guys, I hate waitlists, too. I'm trying to get as much info as possible from them, but it's sometimes tough...they did mention that the waitlist was going to be put together in june (but I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a list by now, like you guys said...). We'll see. :luck:

discus said:
I called and asked how the waitlist movement was going (whether there was any), and was told that people were being pulled off. Then, was told there would be more people being pulled off the acceptable pool (and that it was unranked right now), over time. Apparently, they also want us to keep them posted about new info, the fact that you're still interested, etc... believe me, guys, I hate waitlists, too. I'm trying to get as much info as possible from them, but it's sometimes tough...they did mention that the waitlist was going to be put together in june (but I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a list by now, like you guys said...). We'll see. :luck:

Does anyone have confirmation that they have already narrowed down the acceptable pool to the waitlist?

FutureDoc2005 said:
Does anyone have confirmation that they have already narrowed down the acceptable pool to the waitlist?

Anybody?

i just got an e-mail on the 25th. i was in the acceptable pool and now it looks like i'll be going to ucsd =)

uclabruin1 said:
i just got an e-mail on the 25th. i was in the acceptable pool and now it looks like i'll be going to ucsd =)

I thought they made actual phone calls...did you just get an e-mail?

Mutt said:
I thought they made actual phone calls...did you just get an e-mail?

Yea, I noticed that too, but I think they do one or the other, and lately more email

uclabruin1 said:

Approximately when did you interview?

FutureDoc2005 said:
Yea, I noticed that too, but I think they do one or the other, and lately more email

dean kelly will email or call...

as for the waitlist, i don't think one has been formed yet. and, i think, when it does form, those not put on the waitlist are either still in the pool or rejected. i don't know if those remaining in the pool are "ranked" higher than those on the waitlist or not, so it might not give much info to any of us. :confused: i also don't think the rejections start coming until the end of june (according to last year's thread). more waiting... good luck!

i got an e-mail on 5/25, but also received a call in the morning 5/26. i interviewed back in oct.

No email here ;-). Dr. Kelly called me at about 8:20 am and offered me a position in the entering class. I am so excited!!! This was my first choice school. I have been monitoring this forum so closely for activity...I went ahead and registered so I could post tonight. Hopefully this means the list is moving again! Just wanted to let you all know and wish the best of luck to everybody :luck: . I hope we can be classmates in August :-D.

lord_jeebus said:
some details are just not "testable" and many others can be inferred as needed if you take the time to understand the material. The trouble is, many people use memorization as a substitute for understanding.

I use memorization as a substitute for understanding. It's hard.

Congrats to all.

M.D.2010 said:
No email here ;-). Dr. Kelly called me at about 8:20 am and offered me a position in the entering class. I am so excited!!! This was my first choice school. I have been monitoring this forum so closely for activity...I went ahead and registered so I could post tonight. Hopefully this means the list is moving again! Just wanted to let you all know and wish the best of luck to everybody :luck: . I hope we can be classmates in August :-D.

Hey M.D.2010, did you send in any letters or update material?
Also, just out of curiosity - and you can of course ignore this question - where were your "numbers" on a scale of 1-10 relative to UCSD (5 being on par)?

Hey Mutt,

No problem. I would want to know too ;-). I did send an update letter at the very end of April (I had interviewed end of January) stating that it was my first choice school and discussing some new activities. I did not send any other materials. As for numbers...I would say my GPA is above par, and the MCAT...BS and PS on par or slightly below, VR and writing on par and slightly above (I don't remember the exact numbers for the school, hence the ambiguity).

Hope that helps, and good luck!

It's really great to see more SDNer's getting acceptance! Hope to see more coming in June and even in July. I'm pretty excited about the school even though there are so much things needs to be done before the school starts. Congratulations to all accepted and good luck to the waiting ones!

UCSD emailed me today in regards to whether I am still interested in staying on the acceptable pool. Their deadline is June 9, so I'm guessing that they won't contact people until after that deadline?

jack.bauer said:
UCSD emailed me today in regards to whether I am still interested in staying on the acceptable pool. Their deadline is June 9, so I'm guessing that they won't contact people until after that deadline?

same here... i wonder if they sent this out to everyone in the pool or not. :confused: maybe they'll form a "structured" waitlist soon. :luck:

I got the same e-mail. I think they are sending it out to everyone.

They send this out every year to all applicants swimming in the acceptable pool.

Yea i just got the email. Just woke up too... currently in Paris getting owned by Parisians not liking Americans and my "Do you speak english" questions.

AxlxA said:
Yea i just got the email. Just woke up too... currently in Paris getting owned by Parisians not liking Americans and my "Do you speak english" questions.

Wow, this makes me not want to go to Paris! I can speak (almost) 4 languages...but French is not one of them. :p

As for the e-mail from UCSD, I got it too, and I'm filled with both excitement and foreboding. We all thought there was going to be major movement after May 15, but that was clearly not the case. Will June 9 be the real magic number? I can't wait to find out.

AxlxA said:
Ha! It's the other way around for me. I spent the day with Asians getting aggressive trying to sell me their stuff. Their English isn't too bad either. It's night time as I am tying this out. Haha, the main reason I went on this trip was to forget about the apps process... and with these emails and last minute long distance transcript shepherding, it's not working! :laugh:

do you think sending 4 pages of

3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!3!

would be an adequate response? :smuggrin:

jsnuka said:
Are any of you guys/gals out of state applicants to UCSD and awaiting a formal response?

*raises hand*

Bump. I don't want this thread to disappear. Tomorrow is the last day for people to respond to that e-mail about whether they want to remain in the Acceptable Pool. Movement soon? :luck:

Messerschmitts said:
Bump. I don't want this thread to disappear. Tomorrow is the last day for people to respond to that e-mail about whether they want to remain in the Acceptable Pool. Movement soon? :luck:

I just spoke with Brian Zeglen (the guys who sent out this e-mail) and he told me that next Monday (6/19) they will do another assessment of the acceptable pool. At this point, four things can happen: 1) accepted, 2) high-waitlist 3) low-waitlist 4) rejected.

He also told me there are 5 spots left and that they anticipate 5 people to leave for another school...so guys, this basically means that 10 spots are potentially available...WAITING SUCKS!

drpac said:
At this point, four things can happen: 1) accepted, 2) high-waitlist 3) low-waitlist 4) rejected.

Did Zeglen give you these options when you spoke to him or did you surmise them yourself?

drpac said:
I just spoke with Brian Zeglen (the guys who sent out this e-mail) and he told me that next Monday (6/19) they will do another assessment of the acceptable pool. At this point, four things can happen: 1) accepted, 2) high-waitlist 3) low-waitlist 4) rejected.

He also told me there are 5 spots left and that they anticipate 5 people to leave for another school...so guys, this basically means that 10 spots are potentially available...WAITING SUCKS!

:scared: :scared:

6/19!! aaaagh that seems so far away! thanks for the info though!

Mutt said:
Did Zeglen give you these options when you spoke to him or did you surmise them yourself?

Zeglen actually used the words "high waitlist" and "low waitlist" - at this point with waitlists, acceptance pools, hold lists, and alternate lists I wouldn't even attempt to surmise of the options myself... :)

LT2 said:
:scared: :scared:

6/19!! aaaagh that seems so far away! thanks for the info though!

Yeah, it is far away, becuase that's when they'll decide, but we probably won't find out for another couple of days....