UCSF Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acf11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if UCSF's MSTP waits till march to admit people, or if we hear first from the med school and then again later from the MSTP if we are initially accepted to the med school. I interviewed in mid october and I know that med school admissions for this time period have already been mailed but i haven't heard anything. I don't know whether to be depressed yet or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if UCSF's MSTP waits till march to admit people, or if we hear first from the med school and then again later from the MSTP if we are initially accepted to the med school. I interviewed in mid october and I know that med school admissions for this time period have already been mailed but i haven't heard anything. I don't know whether to be depressed yet or not.

The med school and MSTP admissions get mailed out separately. If you interviewed in October, then it is likely you should hear from the med school before the MSTP.

Don't give up if you weren't notified in the first batch--more go out around the middle of each month.

Good luck!

The med school and MSTP admissions get mailed out separately. If you interviewed in October, then it is likely you should hear from the med school before the MSTP.

Don't give up if you weren't notified in the first batch--more go out around the middle of each month.

Good luck!

Have you heard anything from the med school independently of the MD/PhD program? Thanks for the encouragement!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything here from either...

:luck:

P.S. I think Vader is an MSTP student already (at UCSF?) so I think it may be a moot point to ask if he heard anything :)

Haven't heard a word from UCSF either.

When did everyone interview? I was in the middle of October.

I interviewed later.. sometime around early/mid november I think.

Have you heard anything from the med school independently of the MD/PhD program? Thanks for the encouragement!

When I applied (back in 2000-2001), I got the letter from the med school in January (I had interviewed in November) and unfortunately had to wait until April to be notified about the MSTP. I know how excruciating the waiting game can be! But it was worth the wait in my case. ;)

The UCSF MSTP administrators are trying to notify students of decisions earlier than in previous years.

Good luck and if you have any questions about UCSF, feel free to PM me! :)

When I applied (back in 2000-2001), I got the letter from the med school in January (I had interviewed in November) and unfortunately had to wait until April to be notified about the MSTP. I know how excruciating the waiting game can be! But it was worth the wait in my case. ;)

The UCSF MSTP administrators are trying to notify students of decisions earlier than in previous years.

Good luck and if you have any questions about UCSF, feel free to PM me! :)

Thanks for the info.

When I was applying (1997-98), I never got an acceptance from the UCSF med program and actually didn't hear anything until I got the phone call from Dr. Bishop in Feb or March saying I was accepted to the MSTP. I had been getting ready to be disappointed because I knew that MSTP applicants were getting into the med school before hearing from the MSTP. I figured the whole thing was because I did really poorly on the annoying situational morality questions during the med school interview (e.g., "how will you work to end homelessness as a physician?"), but who knows.

When I was applying (1997-98), I never got an acceptance from the UCSF med program and actually didn't hear anything until I got the phone call from Dr. Bishop in Feb or March saying I was accepted to the MSTP. I had been getting ready to be disappointed because I knew that MSTP applicants were getting into the med school before hearing from the MSTP. I figured the whole thing was because I did really poorly on the annoying situational morality questions during the med school interview (e.g., "how will you work to end homelessness as a physician?"), but who knows.

Hey, Thanks a lot, that makes me feel better.:) So i guess I can keep my fingers crossed for a bit longer. Are you a student at UCSF?

Um...no. I'm not a (current) student at Stanford either, despite my avatar. ;) Good luck--I hope everybody gets where they need to go.

Dr. Bishop used to make the call? Guess he became quite a bit busier by the time I was applying. :rolleyes:

I got the same question on one of my interviews for the med school part. Wanna bet it was the same interviewer? The funny thing is that I've actually thought about this quite a bit since I've been here--major PTSD! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup--one of the most speechless (on my part) phone calls I've ever had...

That's funny--I bet it was the same interviewer!! Other incredibly irritating interview question at UCSF--"I'm going to make you health care czar of the United States. Fix our health care system, giving specifics." And then proceeded to systematically shoot down all of my ideas. At some point I was so frustrated that I actually allowed "um...it's a difficult issue...and to be honest, if I had all the answers, I probably wouldn't be here right now" to pass between my lips. Later, the interview veered off into (not sure how this happened) a discussion of whether or not I would give my theoretically alcoholic father a liver transplant (complete with a choked "I'm down on my KNEES, SON!!!" from the interviewer).
No I DON'T SUFFER FROM PTSD... :scared: hahaha

EESH glad that's over with. Don't worry everybody, residency interviews are MUCH less inane and brain-challenged.

I'm also a UCSF MSTP student, first-year, and if I remember correctly last year I interviewed around October and heard from the med school around January and MSTP around March or April. You will probably definitely hear from the med school first since they make decisions every month. But don't worry if you get waitlisted for the med school either. I got a waitlist letter from the med school then when I got my MSTP accpetance several months later they just bumped me up to accept. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about UCSF :D

Did the MSTP committee meet today? For some reason I have 2/27 written down as such....

Don't think so. I called a week or two ago and was told that the med school is behind this year and that is putting the MSTP program behind as well. We're not supposed to hear anything before march 20th. Let me know if you guys do though.

Don't think so. I called a week or two ago and was told that the med school is behind this year and that is putting the MSTP program behind as well. We're not supposed to hear anything before march 20th. Let me know if you guys do though.

Aw shucks. More waiting :eek:

Looks, like you were right, they apparently did meet yesterday. Anyone get good news from the UCSF MSTP? None here:(

Last edited:
alternates do get in.....don't give up yet!

how are you all finding out? email?

Yes. Email. Maybe since you haven't heard anything that's a good sign

We have made our initial twelve offers and are waiting for their responses. In our experience, our first group of accepted applicants do not always fill our class. Therefore, we must maintain an Alternate List. I realize how unpleasant it is to be kept waiting for a decision and I regret I cannot give you more information at this time. I can assure you, however, that you are very much in the running here and I hope you will keep your application on file with us. We will contact you by telephone as soon as we have any information for you.

Don't get down just yet if placed on the alternate list. It varies from year to year, but UCSF typically takes several students from the alternate list.

Good luck to all! :luck:

one of my friends got in very recently...i don't know if she's actually one of you guys *wink* but i'm cheering for her, and you guys as well! um, too bad ucsf rejected me presecondary :/

WTF? They give decisions by phone, I thought it was a prank!! :laugh:

WTF? They give decisions by phone, I thought it was a prank!! :laugh:

In order to not clog up the acceptance thread -

I was just curious about your undergrad insitution because looking at the list of 2006 matriculants on the UCSF website I gathered the distinct impression that California schools were waaaay overrepresented (8/12????). Do you think you'll matriculate or are you still waiting to hear back from other places?

Maybe it's just a statistical fluke due to the small pool of applicants and even smaller pool of accepted students/matriculants, but those sorts of numbers seriously discourage me from applying this upcoming cycle.

-j

I'm not sure if this reflects MSTP, but for UCSF Med School:

Does UCSF School of Medicine give preference to California residents?

Yes. The Committee on Admissions gives preference to California residents, who make up about 80 percent of the entering class annually.

Based on your statistics, although small, I wouldn't be surprised though.

I'm not sure if this reflects MSTP, but for UCSF Med School:

Based on your statistics, although small, I wouldn't be surprised though.

I thought that UCSF (and other public MSTP's) do not explicitly give preference to in-staters?

I thought that UCSF (and other public MSTP's) do not explicitly give preference to in-staters?

Word on the street is that the MSTP acceptance offers are made to half in-state and half OOS. What the matriculate list shows is that more in-state applicants accept. It makes sense to have a higher retention rate of accepted in-state applicants and besides, who the hell doesn't want to live in California??! Additionally, California is home to a plethora of great institutions so there are plenty of great applicants. You are correct however, that MSTPs do not explicitly give preference to in-state applicants.

Sorry about somewhat hijacking this thread! Good luck to everyone on the alternate list and those who haven't heard back yet!

Back to studying for my Cancer Bio test...

Kevin Shannon is a great guy--he took over as director last year.

The MSTP students end up being more like 50/50 in-state/out-of-state, compared to around 80% in-state for the med student class.

Also, some of the students who look "in-state" might actually be out of state and simply have gone to a California school for their undergraduate. A lot of people like the ease of staying in the bay area to do their next degree once they have already fallen in love with the georgeous weather and wide collaborative net. :)

Kevin Shannon is a great guy--he took over as director last year.

The MSTP students end up being more like 50/50 in-state/out-of-state, compared to around 80% in-state for the med student class.

I couldn't imagine how he has the time to be the director given his research program (then again, I could have said the same about Dr. Weiss as well).

I can't help but think everyday that I just might not even be capable of comparing myself to these guys.