UCSF Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxwelltheDentist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How come UCSF took the minimum gpa requirements away from their web? It used to be 2.70 for CA residents and 3.0 for non-CA residents. My undergrad BCP is a 2.81, undergrad science is 2.81 and undergrad overall is a 2.83. My masters by the end of the summer is going to be pulled up to a 3.4 and I have an 18 AA and 20 TS for my third retake. So should I apply to UCSF with my stats?

Members don't see this ad.

I would not apply to UCSF with your stats. I would reconsider applying to dental school at all with those stats until you've retaken the DAT and/or done a post-bac/masters with a strong GPA.

I would not apply to UCSF with your stats. I would reconsider applying to dental school at all with those stats until you've retaken the DAT and/or done a post-bac/masters with a strong GPA.
They seem not to have minimums anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They might not have a minimum, but that's not the problem - your stats are still too low to have a realistic shot.
In their website they are looking for applicants with AA and TS of 17 or higher and gpas of 2.7 or highers in sciences and overall.

That does not mean you have a realistic shot. Who knows why they removed the minimum requirements, but that certainly doesn't mean its getting easier. If anything, it has gotten significantly harder. Take some time off and improve your application. What's the rush?

In their website they are looking for applicants with AA and TS of 17 or higher and gpas of 2.7 or highers in sciences and overall.

Try to remember that these are the bare minimum of what the school will even consider - not the stats of applicants that have a realistic chance of admission. Admitted students last year at UCSF had an average GPA of 3.5 and a DAT average close to 22. Unfortunately I don't have the ADEA guide on me but that also reports the DAT range and GPA range of each class, so you could see what the absolutely lowest admitted DAT and GPA were at UCSF (and even then it's unlikely that the admitted student with the lowest GPA also had the lowest DAT score).

Last edited:
Try to remember that these are the bare minimum of what the school will even consider - not the stats of applicants that have a realistic chance of admission. Admitted students last year at UCSF had an average GPA of 3.5 and a DAT average close to 22. Unfortunately I don't have the ADEA guide on me but that also reports the DAT range and GPA range of each class, so you could see what the absolutely lowest admitted DAT and GPA were at UCSF (and even then it's unlikely that the admitted student with the lowest GPA also had the lowest DAT score).
Do u think I have a shot at other schools like Creighton, Marquette, Indiana, USC, UMKC, and Louisville?

Do u think I have a shot at other schools like Creighton, Marquette, Indiana, USC, UMKC, and Louisville?

I think you have a better chance at those schools, but given your stats I think it would be best to take a year off for raising your GPA and retaking the DAT rather than hoping for long shot odds.

I think you have a better chance at those schools, but given your stats I think it would be best to take a year off for raising your GPA and retaking the DAT rather than hoping for long shot odds.
By the end of the summer my masters gpa will be pulled up to a 3.4 and by December after the academic update my masters gpa will be pulled to a 3.5 after 6 credits.