UCSF housing: I found an apt.--should I take it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are familiar with SF housing, please advise...

I've been looking at studio apartments just to see what's available at my price range. After seeing a couple of really tiny studios in bad shape, I saw a perfect one for $845 last week. It's still small but has a good-sized bedroom with a kitchen that you can actually move in and a small area for a couch and coffee table for guests. It's also only a 5-minute ride to school. The thing is that it's available right now, but I can't really afford to move in until at least July. (I currently live with my parents in the East Bay.) If they give it to me, should I take it and just find someone to sublease it over the summer? How easy is this to do? Or do you guys think that there are more of these kinds of studios around and I just have to be patient in looking?

The landlord told me last night that it's basically mine. I have to get back to him soon and ask him if subleasing is an option. Any responses will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

i would hold off on the apartment. the rental market is not nearly as crazy in san francisco as it was a year or two ago. $845 is a pretty good price, but i think you should be able to find something nice for around that price in a few months.

Hey lola,

It's me! Your friend from the VA! :D

You really think I can find a place like that again in that area? I want to have a place of my own, and ~$850 is what I can afford.

Anyway, thanks for the response! Good luck studying!

Members don't see this ad :)
isa, I would just get that apartment. I mean, you found a place you love for the right price, and this is a place that you'll be spending a whole year or more. I'm not familiar with SF apartment situation (I did live in San Mateo, though), but my friends and I were in a similar situation a few years back. We found a place we really really liked right next to the campus, except for the fact that rental terms started in June instead of September as we would've liked. We liked the place so much that we decided to suck it up and just get it. Our other friends who decided to wait for something more ideal eventually settled on a place that was really far away from the campus.
If $850 studios are dime a dozen in UCSF area, then maybe I'd hold off. But if it took you a while to find such place, then just get it.

Can you sub-lease until school starts?

working hard at the va, huh? after i wrote the response i was wondering if it was you! anyway, don't blame me if you can't find a nice place :wink: i am pretty certain you should be able to, though, as long as you are willing to take public transportation (n-judah) rather than walk. you could probably even find something within walking distance (unless the rents are a lot higher around campus). if you know it's easy to get a subletter then i'd say go ahead. it seems to me like it might be kind of hard to get one -- especially if you plan to move in sometime during the summer.

isa,

I think it really depends on how much you like the place. You would have to take a gamble on trying to find someone to sublease. From my experience, this depends on where the apartment is located. If it in a neighborhood with high demand like the Haight, it shouldn't be a problem. But if it is in the Sunset, it'll probably take some work and you might get stuck with at least some of the rent.

If I were you, I think I would hold off. I have never before seen so many "For Rent" signs in San Francisco than there are now. More people are leaving the city (many are dot-comers who can't afford SF anymore) than coming in. At the end of April, 4 apartments vacated in my building (16 apts. total). I think you should have no problem finding a place in the future that is reasonably near campus and possibly a better deal.

Hope it works out.

BTW, Congratulations on getting in to the best school in the world.

Cal7449, thanks! Are you a UCSF student too?

The apartment's in the Sunset. I guess I'm leaning more towards not accepting it. It's only the 3rd apt. I've seen, but the other 2 were really holes for about the same price. Finding a subleaser seems like a lot of work, and the deposit I have to give is a lot more than what I can really afford to part with now. I'll be sad to let that cute apartment go though.

Where do you live? Maybe I can look at your building around July!

I just looked at another thread; you're waiting to hear from UCSF soon, right, Cal7449? I'm crossing my fingers for you, souljah and others in getting in. It'll be great to go to school with such helpful, encouraging people! :)

I live in the inner sunset right now. I would say that you should wait on that apartment. There are plenty of cheap places around here, you just have to do a lot of digging. You should try <a href="http://www.craigslist.org" target="_blank">craigslist</a> . I think that there will be a lotof places available in June and rent is soooo much cheaper than last year when I was looking. If you move closer to Ocean Beach, rent typically decreases, and gets more expensive as you east towards UCSF (where I live). I guess if you don't want to take the N-Judah, paying more for a short walk to school is a deal. I think the Richmond is a nice area and is a little cheaper than the Sunset is on the otherside of GG Park. But I like living in the Sunset because its a cool area and not as trashy as some parts of the Haight. Good luck. If I can be of any assistance let me know. :)

one more thing... if you decide not to take the apartment, definitely keep looking on craigslist. it is free and an easy way to find an apartment. if the end of summer is approaching, and you haven't found a place, you should also check out renttech or metro rent. although they cost money, they have a lot of listings. i also heard that some of the listings on craigslist don't reflect the current sf rental market, i.e. they are still trying to get last year's prices. i'm not sure if it is true, but watch out just in case :) you also may be able to negotiate rent with people asking more than $850 -- especially since you are responsible and will be in the area for 4 years.

Hey isa .. I'm not sure if this would be of any help but if you're looking to move in September, we have a room for rent available in September . It's a garden home in Parkmerced, right next to SF State . Parkmerced or "The Villas" (new name) is the peach complex right off of 19th Ave . =P~ . A garden home is a two story "house" with one bathroom, living room, and kitchen . It's about the same distance from the Richmond district . You have to ride two buses to get to UCSF; the 28 straight down 19th and then the N Judah . It's going to be approximately $650/month . If you're interested .. or if anyone is interested send me a message . You'd have a bedroom to yourself, but you'd have to share the bathroom . kitchen . dining room . & living room . you'd be sharing the apartment with 2 other people .

isa and all others looking for housing in SF,

Like UCSFreak and lola, I would highly recommend Craigslist. I found my last three places in the Bay Area using their listings. At all three, I've had a good deal on rent and a great living situation. For example, my current place is an unheard of $700 for my own spacious room in a beautiful Nob Hill apartment.

Isa,

Thanks for the well wishes. Hope the housing search isn't too stressful. :)