UCSF Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those who went to the interview today... please tell us how it was. Who interviewed you?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like UCSF gives out interviews every Tuesday. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel your pain :(.

Hang in there guys!! Have faith!!! UCSF will dish out 11 or 12 more interviews for the cycle!!!! That's what I was told!!! Hang in there!!

Hang in there guys!! Have faith!!! UCSF will dish out 11 or 12 more interviews for the cycle!!!! That's what I was told!!! Hang in there!!

That's it?! This sucks, I'm so depressed, I really wanted an interview there...

That's it?! This sucks, I'm so depressed, I really wanted an interview there...

Well they do interview quite a lot of people. There were 22 people in my group and I believe 2 people didn't show up. The school is looking to interview 240-250ish students out of 1,800 applicants and that's all I know. Good luck buddy!!!!

Ya

Last edited:
I think the essay is meant to evaluate how sophisticated and organized your thoughts are. So try plan an outline before starting.

BTW, I don't like how both the faculty and student interviews are weighted equally.

Last edited:
a

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My interview was so cool!!!

Last edited:
I hope UCSF look for intelligent, researched oriented students.

hi

Last edited:
Sorry

Last edited:
a

Last edited:
I think I had Alan too. He's from Santa Cruz right? he is so cool, I feel lucky to have him.

Hi there,

Do you remember who interviewed you?

thanks,

Well they do interview quite a lot of people. There were 22 people in my group and I believe 2 people didn't show up. The school is looking to interview 240-250ish students out of 1,800 applicants and that's all I know. Good luck buddy!!!!

I know the class size is 88 students, but Do you know how many people they accept?

I know the class size is 88 students, but Do you know how many people they accept?

ya I dont know the answer on that one. Should've asked when I was there on monday!!!! DARN IT!!! Would you mind finding out for us when you go up there??? That'll be great!!!

On page 30 of the 2008 ADEA guide it says they accepted 147 and 85 of those matriculated.

I remember all you guys from Monday...all in black like it was funeral or sumpn!!

I interviewed one of you and I asked if you had ever heard of PreDents.com and you said that you did but didn't have an membership.

......needless to say, I trashed your eval!!! Good luck get'n in somewhere else.

j/k... Good luck to all of you. Interview advice: Have a good time. Smile. Be funny (if you are funny). Relax. We want cool people with personality. Dentistry isn't about high test scores or even about how good your hands are. You will learn this when you hit clinic.

Hey PDizzle,

Do you happen to know when UCSF is giving out more interviews? I think I messed up on my secondary, as in didn't give the best answer. And after I sent it, I was like..aw crap. So I haven't heard from them...

My interview was so cool!!! We're both like the same person. We're both really energized and talk kinda fast so the connection was there from the start. We talked a lot about me and my future plans, what I can do with my hands, and my plans to specialize in the future. My student interviewer Alan is SUPER chill. Everything I said he was like oh great great!!! Oh good I like that!!! SUPER!!!! So yes my experience at UCSF was awesome!! I love both my interviewers. I really was expecting a HARD HARD interview but it turned out to be the exact opposite. But ya...I dont know how scored me so I don't really know what to tell ya!! Only Dec 1st will tell:thumbup: Good luck!! Hopefully we can both be classmates!!! I remember who you are while they're taking attendance. Sorry if I did't get to talk to you much. It's kinda hard to talk to 22 people at the same time.

You used to have this attitude toward UOP. "Omg, i love UOP...." Where is the love for UOP??????????????????????????????????

You used to have this attitude toward UOP. "Omg, i love UOP...." Where is the love for UOP??????????????????????????????????

Maybe he loves both schools??? They are both in San Francisco anyways hehe :confused: :p

Hey don't get me wrong, I still LOVE UOP!!! But now I have to weight my options carefully if I do get into both because I WANT to specialize in perio. UOP is a great school and it is my # 1 choice still. But now I have a different plan in mine so thats def something I need to think about. I do love both schools, but I need really think about what I want in life. I said "hopefully we can be classmates" is because he's a nice guy and I don't know if we can be in the same class. :laugh:

btw why didn't u apply to UCLA??

It is good to be done. I gotta say that a closed file interview is much nicer than an open file one. :)

I e-submitted my application on 8/14, it was mailed 9/1, and my LORs were mailed 9/14...that's what it says on AADSAS website...I received the 'application complete' email on 9/18...

As for my stats:

PA 21
AA 22
TS 23

UC Berkeley Graduate
Major: Molecular and Cell Biology
sGPA: 3.83 oGPA: 3.85 [w/o (+/-): 3.9 and 3.92]
120 Hours working with Endodontist
50+ Hours shadowing
300 Hours as a Drafter
Many hours tutoring

With all this info provided, can anyone help me in telling me why I haven't received anything from UCSF since the 'application complete' email...did I apply too late? Do I still have a chance with them? Any ideas would be great...thanks...

btw why didn't u apply to UCLA??

To be honest, i feel like i do not want to spend next 4 years in the same environment. I do not have a good undergrad experience as others. It does not mean that i am not proud of UCLA,I just feel like at least the teachers here are really think high of themselves, does not want to teach. Further, i have many dental friends at UCLA and most of them are not happy, saying that they only see 2 or 3 patients per day, not enough clinically experience. And they told me that they have to study harder than med students. I know that they not focus clinically compare to other schools and that dentists will reluctant to hire you after graduate, this coming from the person who teach UCLA dental school:scared:. Anyway, UCLA dental school is a great school and anyone who get accepted there will be blessed. But i have a gut feeling that i will be miserable at UCLA for the next 4 years of my life.

p.s I love Westwood but i so hate traffic in LA. God, i hate it

To be honest, i feel like i do not want to spend next 4 years in the same environment. I do not have a good undergrad experience as others. It does not mean that i am not proud of UCLA,I just feel like at least the teachers here are really think high of themselves, does not want to teach. Further, i have many dental friends at UCLA and most of them are not happy, saying that they only see 2 or 3 patients per day, not enough clinically experience. And they told me that they have to study harder than med students. I know that they not focus clinically compare to other schools and that dentists will reluctant to hire you after graduate, this coming from the person who teach UCLA dental school:scared:. Anyway, UCLA dental school is a great school and anyone who get accepted there will be blessed. But i have a gut feeling that i will be miserable at UCLA for the next 4 years of my life.

p.s I love Westwood but i so hate traffic in LA. God, i hate it

Good reason, I like it!! Good luck on your UCSF interview!! They changed/upgraded A LOT from my previous tour experience 2 years ago. Everything is BRAND NEW...ok ALMOST everything that matters for dentistry. The brand new sim lab and new clinics are amazing!!! That was the reason why I placed UCSF behind UOP 2 years ago was because of their equipments. But now seeing the upgrades they had at UCSF, which I REALLY LOVE. It now shares the #1 choice with UOP in my mind. If I am fortunate enough to get into both schools this year, it's gonna be SUCH SUCH HARD choice for me to make. I am gonna kill a lot of brain cells making that decision if it really happens to me. I am hoping only one of those 2 schools take me then I don't have to make that choice myself. :laugh:

I e-submitted my application on 8/14, it was mailed 9/1, and my LORs were mailed 9/14...that's what it says on AADSAS website...I received the 'application complete' email on 9/18...

As for my stats:

PA 21
AA 22
TS 23

UC Berkeley Graduate
Major: Molecular and Cell Biology
sGPA: 3.83 oGPA: 3.85 [w/o (+/-): 3.9 and 3.92]
120 Hours working with Endodontist
50+ Hours shadowing
300 Hours as a Drafter
Many hours tutoring

With all this info provided, can anyone help me in telling me why I haven't received anything from UCSF since the 'application complete' email...did I apply too late? Do I still have a chance with them? Any ideas would be great...thanks...

I think that your stats are exceptional. I am not an ADCOM or expert in admission either. However your post does not include your research experience. Did you do research? If you did ->what you do (shadowing or got credits). Have you ever published reviewed papers? UCs are research schools and you are UC student too. I think that you can get interview. Be patient.

For those who got an interview, how long did it take from completing your application (secondary) to actually receiving a notice from them?

Hey don't get me wrong, I still LOVE UOP!!! But now I have to weight my options carefully if I do get into both because I WANT to specialize in perio. UOP is a great school and it is my # 1 choice still. But now I have a different plan in mine so thats def something I need to think about. I do love both schools, but I need really think about what I want in life. I said "hopefully we can be classmates" is because he's a nice guy and I don't know if we can be in the same class. :laugh:
haha...FYI, I was one of the girls ;)

"On page 30 of the 2008 ADEA guide it says they accepted 147 and 85 of those matriculated."

could someone find that stat for UOP and arizona and message or write it 4 me