UCSF (OOS) vs. Colorado (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zdoq

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi again-
So, I posted a thread about UCSF vs. Maryland a few weeks back, but right before Decision Day, I received a really lucrative recruitment scholarship from Colorado. So, I ended up paying 2 deposits for UCSF and Colorado, and now I have to decide between the two.

With the scholarship, I end up being basically an IS student at Colorado. With the cheaper cost of living in Aurora, CO, the total cost of attendance becomes very reasonable, somewhere around 250k.

With the grants I have received from UCSF, the total cost of attendance sits around 275k. That being with probably a lower quality of life as well, as I would have to live with room mates and really be frugal with groceries.

Another factor I need to think about is the fact that my significant other is applying to PhD programs around the country. So far, one of their interviews is at Colorado, but they have been rejected/not heard back from any Californian schools. So- if I chose UCSF I would have to start a long distance relationship... or basically probably sacrifice my relationship all together.

I have a strong interest in OMFS, so I really feel drawn towards UCSF. However, I think that because I am very self-driven I could possibly thrive anywhere I choose. Yet, I don't want to pass up the opportunities available at UCSF if the school is really that much stronger than Colorado. What factors do you guys think I should prioritize? Anyone with any insight or advice on LDR during dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Always good to pick cheapest school, but go wherever you think will make you most happiest. You may feel differently about OMFS after dental school. As long as you are self-driven and work hard, the school you go to shouldn't really matter. There may be advantage with P/F at UCSF as it will help with stress management, but does not mean you can slack off there either. Colorado also has a great reputation with many opportunities. It is up to you what you do with the opportunities you are given no matter what school you attend. Both great schools. Can't go wrong with either

Reactions: 1 user
Colorado doesn’t have an OMFS specialty directly affiliated with it. In fact, I think the only specialties they have represented are perio and ortho. Do you think this will be limiting in terms of exploring potential specialty paths?

Hi again-
So, I posted a thread about UCSF vs. Maryland a few weeks back, but right before Decision Day, I received a really lucrative recruitment scholarship from Colorado. So, I ended up paying 2 deposits for UCSF and Colorado, and now I have to decide between the two.

With the scholarship, I end up being basically an IS student at Colorado. With the cheaper cost of living in Aurora, CO, the total cost of attendance becomes very reasonable, somewhere around 250k.

With the grants I have received from UCSF, the total cost of attendance sits around 275k. That being with probably a lower quality of life as well, as I would have to live with room mates and really be frugal with groceries.

Another factor I need to think about is the fact that my significant other is applying to PhD programs around the country. So far, one of their interviews is at Colorado, but they have been rejected/not heard back from any Californian schools. So- if I chose UCSF I would have to start a long distance relationship... or basically probably sacrifice my relationship all together.

I have a strong interest in OMFS, so I really feel drawn towards UCSF. However, I think that because I am very self-driven I could possibly thrive anywhere I choose. Yet, I don't want to pass up the opportunities available at UCSF if the school is really that much stronger than Colorado. What factors do you guys think I should prioritize? Anyone with any insight or advice on LDR during dental school?
I see you have to make hard decisions every week :D. My personal dream school was UCSF but guess what I didn't apply for it at all cause I knew if I got an acceptance there then I couldn't resist at all. Anyway back to your question honestly based on all threads that I have read here and all my talkings with dental students, all dental schools basically give u similar chances to get into a specialty program. It mostly depends on you to stay on top of your class. Your cost of attendance not gonna be that much lower at CO but your living quality gonna be way better. You are gonna live there for 4 years and thats not a short time. Personaly I would go with CO. Cheaper, better living quality, possibly a relationship saver.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would think too much about cost because the difference is only 25K which is very little if you think of it for a 4-year program. UCSF has a few clinics and work with many other clinics in the bay area so there is a lot of opportunities to get involved.

Although you truly cannot go wrong with either choice (both schools are amazing in their own way), I think Colorado will serve you better if you're considering life outside of dental school. If your significant other is going to possibly be in Colorado, I would definitely take that into consideration since it's very important to have a good support system during dental school. Plus CU tuition is 25k less and housing is a lot cheaper in CO! (its a plus if you enjoy the outdoors!) If you're tenacious and willing to put in the effort to pursue OMFS, you can honestly specialize from any school!

In terms of exploring OMFS, potentially, since you won't be able to shadow at the school. However you can always find opportunities elsewhere. I highly recommend that you don't pick a school based on its reputation or specialization rate. I am a firm believer that it is based on how hard you work. As you mentioned before, you think you can thrive anywhere so I would save your money and work hard at Colorado.

If you obviously feel a calling to UCSF, then you should go. This is just my own opinion

Go to Colorado, even if UCSF COA is 275k a year for you, that doesn't account for how expensive everything else is living in the Bay Area. The WHOLE AREA is expensive. Colorado came through for you with a nice scholarship, COA and COL- in all aspects is cheaper, and living there with your S/O sounds a lot nicer tbh. Don't get caught up in UCSF's name. You can specialize wherever you go.

Go to Colorado, even if UCSF COA is 275k a year for you, that doesn't account for how expensive everything else is living in the Bay Area. The WHOLE AREA is expensive. Colorado came through for you with a nice scholarship, COA and COL- in all aspects is cheaper, and living there with your S/O sounds a lot nicer tbh. Don't get caught up in UCSF's name. You can specialize wherever you go.
I calculated the $275k COA at UCSF with taking rent and groceries into account. The tuition at UCSF actually is cheaper than Colorado but the COL is what drives the price up by so much.

I calculated the $275k COA at UCSF with taking rent and groceries into account. The tuition at UCSF actually is cheaper than Colorado but the COL is what drives the price up by so much.
as an SF resident, I can definitely say that cost of living is not that bad. For rent, there are so many cities like Daly City just 8 miles away from SF where you can get very affordable apartments. For grocery and other supplies, the same stores as any other states are here with very similar prices.

If you are planning to buy a house then that would be a very different situation.

as an SF resident, I can definitely say that cost of living is not that bad. For rent, there are so many cities like Daly City just 8 miles away from SF where you can get very affordable apartments. For grocery and other supplies, the same stores as any other states are here with very similar prices.

If you are planning to buy a house then that would be a very different situation.
Whats considered affordable?

I suggest talking to current students at each school. I was in almost the same situation as you last year and talking to CO students really helped me decide. Good luck

I would always pick the cheapest school. CO is a great school with a great clinical experience as well.

ive also spoken to ucsf students and there was some criticism about the curriculum and clinical experience there

the reason the school reduced its class size is because students were doing bad and not passing their exams or scoring at a high enough %. They’re hoping the smaller class sizes will help offset that but it appears to be a systemic issue.
Reach out to more students and Ask for their input

edit: in terms of relationship advice.

obviously everybody’s relationship is different. And if you’ve never done LD it will definitely be a learning experience.

with that being said, I would not go to a school solely for my partner. It may convince me if I’m extremely conflicted but it would be like the 5th or 6th thing I’d consider.
many relationships end in grad school, especially for those in LDR. You get closer to your class since you spend more time with them and suffer together. You have to be comfortable with that possibility which it appears you are

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What do you all think of between Colorado and UMich? My appeal for in-state tuition was recently accepted, so I can get in-state there. My significant other just got accepted to UMich for their PhD program as well. They are still interviewing with Colorado next week.
I grew up in Michigan so I feel like I'm ready for a new adventure, and I'm also pretty turned off by how competitive and cut-throat UMich's environment seems. Both schools are essentially the same price.

What do you all think of between Colorado and UMich? My appeal for in-state tuition was recently accepted, so I can get in-state there. My significant other just got accepted to UMich for their PhD program as well. They are still interviewing with Colorado next week.
I grew up in Michigan so I feel like I'm ready for a new adventure, and I'm also pretty turned off by how competitive and cut-throat UMich's environment seems. Both schools are essentially the same price.
If your partner gets accepted to CO and chooses to attend, I think that would be the ideal choice for you.
It would offer basically everything you want: good clinical program, nice/new location, cheapest (of your options), collaborative learning environment, close to your partner, and you’d be able to excel without stressing as much.

UM is a terrific school especially for research (as is SF I suppose) if research is your thing. the cutthroat environment exists but I’m sure that’s pretty common among the top tier dental schools. At the same cost as CO it’s a tough decision. if you genuinely think you can excel at UM (top 10-15%ish for OS) and think you’ll be happy there.. that plus the guarantee of being with your partner might be worth it. But I think choosing the school that better guarantees that you can excel (CO) is best

Last edited: