UCSF or Columbia? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Personally, when I am choosing a doctor (or dentist), I DO look at where they went to school when I have a choice between two doctors who are conveniently located. All insurance websites have a Doctor Find site now where you go and look at who's in network, and "school attended" is listed there.

Right or wrong, I am likely to think (and human nature is to assume) that the doctor who went to a well known school is "smarter" than the doctor who went to Allegheny Medical College (just made that up, but fill in any small, regional, not-widely-known school). I know it was probably harder to get into that big-name school than it was to get into the small one and that therefore the big-name school doctor probably was more driven and passionate about medicine, more organized, more intelligent, more efficient. The big-name school doctor most likely was surrounded by a superior student body during his education. That big-name school doctor had the best and the brightest teaching him at his big-name school, because those schools are the ones that can afford to pay faculty more and so they attract the best. They are often located in cosmopolitan areas where the "superior" faculty wants to live. Those schools also often have the most time-proven curriculum and because of the research going on, expose their students to cutting-edge advances in science. Those schools have more active alumni who keep tabs on the discoveries being made in that school and are perhaps more involved in continuing education.

I had braces as an adult, and I have to say that I chose my orthodontist because he went to Harvard (and because I liked him and he was conveniently located). Hell, if he went to Harvard for ortho, you know he has to be really smart and really good, right? Or at least your chances are better that he's worth his salt. It's all about percentages. When I chose the ophthalmologist who did my LASIK, you better believe I read his CV and noted that he went to Georgetown for Med School and did his residency at Emory, etc.

I'm not saying that school name is all that matters. OF COURSE there are excellent doctors and dentists who graduate from lesser-known schools and have no problem building a patient pool. HOWEVER, to say it makes NO difference what school you go to and that you should automatically pick the cheapest school possible over the big-name school because big-names are only for ego-stroking is pretty darn naive. There's a REASON some schools are better known than others.

Members don't see this ad.

Columbia: Ivy + New York City + High specialty rates = are you friggin crazy, go to Columbia

Are you crazy?
COLUMBIA

10 years from now, you're going to want to say you went to COLUMBIA, not ucsf. Why? NAME BRAND. Your patients will know Columbia, but guaranteed a significant percentage will not know about ucsf.

COLUMBIACOLUMBIACOLUMBIACOLUMBIACOLUMBIA

i like to stroke my ego;)

Both are really good schools. And I still think that UCSF also has a big name in healthcare (although I agree that this is not as big a factor for dentistry as it is for medicine). Ie, comparing the two medical institutions from both schools, UCSF is ranked #4 overall and Columbia is ranked #11.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/brief/mdrrank_brief.php

Both are really good schools. And I still think that UCSF also has a big name in healthcare (although I agree that this is not as big a factor for dentistry as it is for medicine). Ie, comparing the two medical institutions from both schools, UCSF is ranked #4 overall and Columbia is ranked #11.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/brief/mdrrank_brief.php

That really does not matter because you have your own Dental basic sciences prof at UCSF, and share medical basic sciences at Columbia. You would get a more comprehensive biomed ed at Columbia. With that said, go to UCSF for DENTAL school. Cheaper tuition, west coast in a great city, and UCSF has just as good match rates.

Members don't see this ad :)
you kidding me? UCSF has better name in healthcare, cheaper tuition, more ISO, more opportunities for both clinical and research, better patient pool. I'd choose UCSF over Columbia anyday, hands down.

Personally, when I am choosing a doctor (or dentist), I DO look at where they went to school when I have a choice between two doctors who are conveniently located. All insurance websites have a Doctor Find site now where you go and look at who's in network, and "school attended" is listed there.

I'm not saying that school name is all that matters. OF COURSE there are excellent doctors and dentists who graduate from lesser-known schools and have no problem building a patient pool. HOWEVER, to say it makes NO difference what school you go to and that you should automatically pick the cheapest school possible over the big-name school because big-names are only for ego-stroking is pretty darn naive. There's a REASON some schools are better known than others.

I agree with you that checking out someone's educationaly background is one step in finding out how proficient they may be in their field.

But.. aren't we talking about UCSF and Columbia here? Isn't that like the difference between Harvard, Yale and Princeton for undergrad? :confused:

I..But.. aren't we talking about UCSF and Columbia here? Isn't that like the difference between Harvard, Yale and Princeton for undergrad? :confused:

I dont think most educated people (outside of the health professions) see UCSF and Columbia as equal... I imagine Columbia has an edge in that sense..

Before starting this whole process, my only attraction to UCSF was that it was in San Francisco.

I think a lot of the perception has to do with where you choose to practice. if you practice on the west, then UCSF has more name recognition...same with columbia on the east coast. And in the midwest...it's probably another school.

both are great schools. However I'd pick UCSF because it's in SF and because it's cheaper.

Columbia might sound a little more prestegious to people outside of dentistry, but not every patient would look for docs graduated from Ivys. In the end, it depends on your marketing and your skills. Patients care if the doctor is ethic/nice and whether his/her procedure is painless more than where the doctor graduated from.