UCSF or Penn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luv2pltth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I tried searching for this thread but didnt find anything pertinent, so I figured I would start a new one (I apologize if it came up before). I am trying to decide between UCSF and Penn and can't seem to make up my mind. I know both are great schools, and like any dental school, they both have their pros and cons. What would you do?

I know that UCSF is way cheaper than Penn, but I don't want to make my decision based on money, I'd rather make it on the school's program itself. Also, I have my heart set on specializing after dental school, and I've heard that UCSF's board scores are pretty high up there. What is there that I'm not considering that might make this decision a little clearer? I really appreciate any input you guys have, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

money should be an important deciding factor, if not the most important deciding factor when comparing 2 amazing schools like UPenn and UCSF.

UCSF hands down.

jb!:)

Go with whatever you like, man. Personally, Penn didn't do it enough for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
so you know what i just realized...the ca schools really don't end up being that much cheaper...both ucla and ucsf end up being between 55-60k a year (ucla bc of the summer sessions, and ucsf bc of expensive housing). penn estimated about 75/year. so its about a 60k difference, which is still significant, but not as much as i thought.

go where you feel you would honesty be the happiest. at both of these schools, you will get a fantastic dental education. you will have a great chance to specialize. they are both premiere dental schools, and will provide you with the best opportunities, and open doors for you. so at that point, i would go to the school that i felt the happiest at. which city do you like more? sf would be fun, and philly's ok, but don't forget, you're right up near nyc, which is awesome.

if you ask me, both programs are flawless. i hear great things about the faculty at penn, i haven't been to ucsf so i don't know, but either way, you can't go wrong

Hey guys,

I tried searching for this thread but didnt find anything pertinent, so I figured I would start a new one (I apologize if it came up before). I am trying to decide between UCSF and Penn and can't seem to make up my mind. I know both are great schools, and like any dental school, they both have their pros and cons. What would you do?

I know that UCSF is way cheaper than Penn, but I don't want to make my decision based on money, I'd rather make it on the school's program itself. Also, I have my heart set on specializing after dental school, and I've heard that UCSF's board scores are pretty high up there. What is there that I'm not considering that might make this decision a little clearer? I really appreciate any input you guys have, thanks in advance!

ucsf. i didn't like west philly very much, and i didn't like the grading system at penn as much as the P/NP system at ucsf. However both are great schools. Good luck :).

Penn! Both are great schools, but the program and location of Penn is to die for. Not to mention, board scores, and of course CHEESE STEAKS. honestly, the whole UC thing is overrated, and I think just the "trendy" "bandwagon" thing that's going on. All the people who have written are cali peeps (nothing wrong with that), but I'm sure they have some bias, and no doubt want you to go to ucsf so THEY can go to PENN.

thisanddddaaatttttt

All the people who have written are cali peeps (nothing wrong with that), but I'm sure they have some bias, and no doubt want you to go to ucsf so THEY can go to PENN.

thisanddddaaatttttt

I'm not from CA. Alas, I'm just one of those lowly wannabe Californians from AZ. Also, I already gave up my Penn seat so I have no reason to try to steal a spot.

60k isn't much of a difference?!? :laugh:

That's the difference between my finacial package at UoP and what I would get at my state school :laugh:

no, i didn't mean it's not a difference, but i thought it was a much bigger difference in tuition than that. you're still gonna be more than 200k in debt if you go to ucsf, which was surprising to me. i thought it was cheaper than that. 55-60k is almost on par with other private schools (llu which is a private school is less expensive than that).

not to say that ucsf isn't worth it, tuition's actually not the problem. living in sf is a whole other issue.

I can tell you there are good things and bad things about UCSF, but now that I"m a third year I am guessing this is the same at all schools (good and bad).

As another poster put out there, the cost difference between private and public UC's aren't what they use to be. That bummed me out the most. The year before I got here it was 11k a year, then it went to 14k, then the next year to 23k and there is talk of another hike. I guess in the big pic it doesn't REALLY matter, but it does add years to your repayment and less money in your pocket due to interest etc etc.
Anyway, UCSF is an awesome school. I love the Dean, Dean Bertalomi. He is an incredible leader and demands exceptional performance from everyone under him. He does this by leading by example alone. I like how there are tons and tons of outreach and volunteer oportunites as the school is really based on giving back to the community and community centered (if you like public health). I like that when I read dental articles I see professors names, yeah the ones who were just lecturing me before lunch. I like hearing the reasons behind why we do what we do, not just taught to follow algorythms etc. etc. I like being affilliated with hospitals, med, nursing, pharmacy schools. I like that every dental specialty is under one roof and that if you want to learn more or are interested in a specialtly each will welcome you with open arms if you show interest. The faculty is very nice, always approchable and good at dentistry. There is more than ample opportunity if you are interested in research or public health. San Franciso and the bay area is pretty awesome ( just ask the millons that live there). The students here are sharp and go-getters. And most importantly..... I love the pas/no pass system. It fosters a real comradere between fellow students and takes the pressure off of studying. You learn to study because you want to, not because you have to, catch my drift? My class is pretty tight and we look out after one another. Ahhhh... what a difference from undergrad!

The bad: I don't like the clinical student to faculty ratio. We could use a few more faculty in the clinics (they say they are working on it, and now I'm use to it, but in the beginning it would be nicer to have a little more personal attention). I also think some of the didactic training could be better organized.

Hope that helps.

Good luck on your decision. Both choices are good.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask me, but PM me so that I get an email. I haven't checked SDN for over two years.

San Francisco or Philadelphia? Not really a hard Choice, San Francisco hands down. Better city, better people, and your not next to New Jersey. I would choose CA over PA, UCSF is a much better school, more known than UPenn.

Yeah UCSF is not cheap, even for in state. Its really kinda expensive for out of state.

San Francisco or Philadelphia? Not really a hard Choice, San Francisco hands down. Better city, better people, and your not next to New Jersey. I would choose CA over PA, UCSF is a much better school, more known than UPenn.

Thats a load of ----. SF is nice, but Penn is so beautiful. I've lived in both, so I'd know. Sf is super expensive too. Id say Penn hands down. UCSF is in like a residential area, far away from anywhere in SF you would want to be. There isnt even a parking lot or anything, what to do if its raining?? as it usually is. Also, if you want to specialize, go to Penn, even if you want the option.

...very interesting and funny opinion... :cool:

Its cold, foggy and rainy right now in SF! UCSF is located in the sunset neighborhood, a boring, sleepy, foggy residential area.

If you love fog, and you want to be a researcher then you can't beat UCSF.