UCSF Phone Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

absolutezero

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at UCSF coming up in February. Two years ago I visited the school and took the official tour when I was in town visiting friends (and loved it).

Does anyone think they would be willing to do a phone interview so i could save the $400+ it'll cost me to make the trip (from NYC)? I'm reluctant to call and ask since they could take it as a lack of enthusiasm, which it isn't. Is there anyone out there who has done a phone interview at UCSF? I think I read somewhere that Stanford does them...

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think ucsf will be accomodating. if i wanted to get into a school like ucsf i thiink id come up with the money somehow and make sure i am there in person to ensure the best possible chance at gaining an acceptance.

What airline are you taking to get to SF? Since there are many flights from NYC to SF, the price shouldn't be too high, maybe around $200-250 if you find the right airline.

As for accomodation, stay with a student host.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can fly Jetblue for $79 from JFK to Oakland!! That?s what I?m doing.

I paid about 200 bucks i think from STL to San Jose with Frontier (i had to connect in Denver).

I agree w/ Jlee, UCSF is a top ranked school and they think pretty highly of themselves. Asking to just do a phone interview will come off the wrong way. I live in SF and acab is right, JetBlue from NYC to Oak is definitely the cheapest, and stay w/ a student (it's fun and cheap)!

I agree with above. Unless you aren't interested, just suck it up and pay. It's not worth the risk of seeming uninterested, since UCSF has many interested folks that would hurt each other for that interview. Also, remember all this is just a drop in the proverbial bucket. Your debt may be the size of a mortgage when you graduate. Live it up! San Francisco is my hometown and a great place to visit. Escape the snow and enjoy the 60F (no one said it was warm, just not cold, OK?) You may not have enough info about living here (big factor) if you never visit.

The subway (BART) is connected to both SFO and OAK via a shuttle. SFO is slightly easier. Grab a good fare and stay with a host.

Good luck.

absolute zero,

I agree with what everyone else said about going. With that said, I did read on their website that if for some reason you can't make it to the interview, they will take the interview feedback that you got from another interview that you have already completed. I think this is under the application procedures link on the medical school site on www.ucsf.edu. They did say that this will put you at a disadvantage. I didn't read anything about phone interviews though. Check it out for yourself, but I say just go to the interview if you are interested in going to UCSF

Originally posted by absolutezero
I have an interview at UCSF coming up in February. Two years ago I visited the school and took the official tour when I was in town visiting friends (and loved it).

Does anyone think they would be willing to do a phone interview so i could save the $400+ it'll cost me to make the trip (from NYC)? I'm reluctant to call and ask since they could take it as a lack of enthusiasm, which it isn't. Is there anyone out there who has done a phone interview at UCSF? I think I read somewhere that Stanford does them...

Ive never heard of a phone interview for med school. Some schools may conduct REGIONAL interviews. I do not know if UCSF does. Check the webpage and read your MSAR. This allows people to interview with a regional (somehwere in Manhattan prolly) representative of the school (graduate of UCSF) and avoid the lengthy travel, etc.

Coops

Originally posted by snowbear
absolute zero,

I agree with what everyone else said about going. With that said, I did read on their website that if for some reason you can't make it to the interview, they will take the interview feedback that you got from another interview that you have already completed. I think this is under the application procedures link on the medical school site on www.ucsf.edu. They did say that this will put you at a disadvantage. I didn't read anything about phone interviews though. Check it out for yourself, but I say just go to the interview if you are interested in going to UCSF

True that.

http://www.medschool.ucsf.edu/admissions/procedure.aspx#interviews