UCSF, school with social ethics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jk5177

Just Kidding
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The dean impressed me greatly with his talk on the social ethics that school preaches. He mentioned how as dentists, we are at the top 5% of the socioeconomic status of everyone in US. Do you think UCSF is really a school about caring for the less well off? Do they really give back to the community? Is the Dean really that progressive? Is the dental school that progressive? Or is all this a facade?

Let's hear it!

Members don't see this ad.

arizona pushed the public health / holistic (ostiopathic) line pretty hard during thier presentation

I got the impression from other faculty and students that UCSF is pretty committed to giving back to the community. Even the unhappy students I met emphasized to me that helping underserved communities are pretty high on their list. That's why they have large clinics in Chinatown and General Hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
AUG2UAG said:
osteopathic (osteo= bone, pathic= illness) refering to the school of belief that illness occurs from the inside out, as opposed to allopathic, which is the school of thought that illness occurs from outside in (ie germ theory). the two have met in the middle, hence the nearly indistinguishable features of going to traditional med school or osteopathic med school. i have no clue how this relates to the topic the op mentioned. :laugh:

my bad, I glanced and saw "school with social ethics?"

sf is majorly committeed to giving back to the community b/c they have all sorts of programs.....various clinics around town, fundraiser programs, and they even have a program with ucla dental students and their respective faculty to go to afghanistan to provide dental care there...as a humanitarian effort....so yah they are committeed to helping the under-privl.

Excellent. The dean wasn't lying about all the social ethics and giving back to community. I'm going if they take me. Come on UCSF. Come on UCSF.

jk5177 said:
Excellent. The dean wasn't lying about all the social ethics and giving back to community. I'm going if they take me. Come on UCSF. Come on UCSF.

I don't think deans are in the business of lying. What were you trying to get out of this thread anyways? Ethics are a part of every dental school and some stress it more than others. Community service and especially "caring for the less well off" are choices that individual students make. UCSF may offer those programs (I'm assuming you know what they are), but it's up to the student doctors to implement correct ethics and do work for the needy.

Ethics and community service do not go hand in hand. I feel your thread is a bit ridiculous especially if you went through the interview process already. From the interview you should have known that UCSF is all about offering opportunities to help the underserved--it was a question that most interviewers asked about and what was spewed to us ad nauseam. I would take advice from students there (like I did) and realize that community work is fine and dandy, but make sure your requirements get finished. According to many UCSF students, many do their "community service" at the mandatory 2 week externships. Doesn't sound so much from the heart to me.