UCSF (OOS) vs UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CARAT4.0

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to choose a school with good clinical education and supportive environment.

Both schools are far from home for me.

I’m planning to be a GP for now, but I’m open to explore different specialities. I want to go straight to practice instead of doing GPR or AEGD if I end up choosing to do GP.

UCSF has the pass fail honor system, and UPenn uses the GPA grading system (but maybe unranked?).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I want to choose a school with good clinical education and supportive environment.

Both schools are far from home for me.

I’m planning to be a GP for now, but I’m open to explore different specialities. I want to go straight to practice instead of doing GPR or AEGD if I end up choosing to do GP.

UCSF has the pass fail honor system, and UPenn uses the GPA grading system (but maybe unranked?).

Any advice would be appreciated!
cheaper
you get IS after one year at UCSF (unless you are international)
UCSF helps with obtaining food stamps, healthcare, and free uber/lyft
pass/fail, small class size
no brainer IMO...

Reactions: 2 users
cheaper
you get IS after one year at UCSF (unless you are international)
UCSF helps with obtaining food stamps, healthcare, and free uber/lyft
pass/fail, small class size
no brainer IMO...

I am international :(
What do you think of them clinically?

Members don't see this ad :)
International flights from SFO are more convenient IMO.

Clinically I don't think you can go wrong with either but you should compare their clinic spaces and IT support/patient management.

I’d go UCSF. It’s cheaper. I’ve heard Penn is kinda stressful. P/F at UCSF would be a godsend and reduce stress so much. That way you can focus on what you want and have freedom to explore classes. Weather is better in SF.

I think UCSF would be the better school. I still think it would be cheaper than UPenn too (but would need to crunch numbers). P/F curriculum is a no-brainer in my opinion. Having to focus on grades instead of just passing can be stressful at times.