UCSF Secondary is Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can some one post the UCSF's secondary questions here ...the school starts in three weeks and I want to be done with my essays (haven't heard from them yet)..it doesn't harm to do it ahead of time...(I am done with secondaries from all schools except haven't heard from UCSF and Temple)

Members don't see this ad.

I know it doesn't want us to put additional classes. But for example, for the Organic Chem section, it just asks for 2 quarters of Organic Chem + Lab. Obviously it'll be broken up into one quarter of lecture and one quarter of lab. Do we choose the first Organic course we took, or the one that had the highest grade? Lol

Ps I really hate filling this out..I did much better in upper division Biology courses but it doesn't ask for them :(

Members don't see this ad :)
The psych requirement needs to be graded..ffs I took it for cred/no credit and got a B so it shows "Pass". Now I couldn't repeat it even if I went back to school. I'm just hoping they'll overlook this and trust me when I say I did well in the class but took it cred/no cred because it was my freshman year!!! I have EVERYTHING else UCSF could possibly want including plenty of research.

Judging by how threatening the app has been thus far (only 14 days or cancelled! enter pre-reqs incorrectly and cancelled). For all I know my app might be thrown out because of Psych...lol :p

I just spoke with an Admissions Officer and she said the Psychology course could have been taken P/NP. Just needs to fulfill the unit requirement.

I didn't get a UCSF email but I got UCLA's and Penn's so I know I'm in an early batch. Why haven't I gotten one yet? Anyone else in the same situation?

I didn't get a UCSF email but I got UCLA's and Penn's so I know I'm in an early batch. Why haven't I gotten one yet? Anyone else in the same situation?

i know this is the ucsf thread, but how longer after your "friday batch" did you receive the ucla supplemental?? i got the ucsf one, but still waiting on ucla...

Did you guys, who received secondaries, have your DAT scores already sent to UCSF? Could that be why I haven't gotten mine yet?

Yup. My app was complete by the time UCSF sent me the sec.

My app was complete before I got the secondary. Maybe they want to see if your scores meet the 17 TS 17AA minimum?

the uscf questions are ridic

I just spoke with an Admissions Officer and she said the Psychology course could have been taken P/NP. Just needs to fulfill the unit requirement.

You sir ARE A GOD! HALLELUJAH!

I called the office too but the didn't pick up and are yet to return the call! I already submitted with multiple courses for the Psych req but at least I can rest easy for a while!

Can some one post the UCSF's secondary questions here ...the school starts in three weeks and I want to be done with my essays (haven't heard from them yet)..it doesn't harm to do it ahead of time...(I am done with secondaries from all schools except haven't heard from UCSF and Temple)

I don't think it would be a good idea for anyone to post the questions directly. Last year they asked a few very general questions that should have been addressed in your PS anyways. Don't worry, it is an easy secondary. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it would be a good idea for anyone to post the questions directly. Last year they asked a few very general questions that should have been addressed in your PS anyways. Don't worry, it is an easy secondary. Good luck!

Ya never know who's looking right? It is a pretty straightforward secondary this year too. Nothing too convoluted or long!

You only need to enter classes that satisfy their minimum requirements, e.g. the categories they've provided you. The social science, humanities, etc are all just recommended I think.

So we only have to put classes for gen chem, ochem, biology, physics, biochem, psychology, and english... right?

Also, when it says general chem with lab 3 quarters, then we can put 2 gen chem lectures and 1 genchem lab... right? :confused:

So I have 6 quarter units for general chemistry but it is credit by exam. There is no grade. What I should put? Completed satisfactory or completed pass???

So we only have to put classes for gen chem, ochem, biology, physics, biochem, psychology, and english... right?

Yes

Also, when it says general chem with lab 3 quarters, then we can put 2 gen chem lectures and 1 genchem lab... right? :confused:

I don't know how quarter classes work, but I assume that they want every quarter of chemistry you took to have lab. I was on semester system, and each of my chem classes had a lab with it, so I listed two semesters of gen chem under "lecture and lab".

On the admission requirements webpage under course prerequisites they ask for also ask for

h. Social sciences, humanities, or foreign language (in addition to requirements "a" and "g").
i. Additional electives to bring the total number of units to at least 139 quarter units or 93 semester units. (Recommended: embryology, comparative vertebrate anatomy, genetics, statistics)

Does that mean we have to list pretty much all of the classes we took/plan on taking? Or do they just want what's under the "Prerequisite Subject" box? This is a little confusing!

Last edited:
On the admission requirements webpage under course prerequisites they ask for also ask for

h. Social sciences, humanities, or foreign language (in addition to requirements "a" and "g").
i. Additional electives to bring the total number of units to at least 139 quarter units or 93 semester units. (Recommended: embryology, comparative vertebrate anatomy, genetics, statistics)

Does that mean we have to list pretty much all of the classes we took/plan on taking? Or do they just want what's under the "Prerequisite Subject" box? This is a little confusing!

yea i completely agree

i think we only put for gen chem, ochem, biology, physics, biochem, psychology, and english ...

..right?

yea i completely agree

i think we only put for gen chem, ochem, biology, physics, biochem, psychology, and english ...

..right?

When you go to submit your application, it states something like "the prerequisite section only requires 15 courses"... Or something like that. I'm pretty sure that would only include the requirements that have subjects in the drop down box.

Has anyone recieved a secondary to UCSF after that 1st batch the was sent out on 7-31? My app was completr as of 8/3/12 but I haven't heard anything yet :/

just got the supplemental...

failure to follow directions = APP CANCELLED
failure to turn in app by deadline = APP CANCELLED
"if you no longer wish to apply to UCSF, please let us know so that we can have your APP CANCELLED

umm...... am I allowed to drink water and scratch my head while filling out this app? Or would those actions result in my app being cancelled also? =_=

Last edited:
just got the supplemental...

Failure to follow directions = app cancelled
failure to turn in app by deadline = app cancelled
"if you no longer wish to apply to ucsf, please let us know so that we can have your app cancelled

umm...... Am i allowed to drink water and scratch my head will filling out this app? Or would those actions result in my app being cancelled also? =_=

lol!

Has anyone recieved a secondary to UCSF after that 1st batch the was sent out on 7-31? My app was completr as of 8/3/12 but I haven't heard anything yet :/

Never mind I received my secondary today, FINALLY!!!!!!

on their website it mentions that they only require one semester of organic chemistry. i just wanted to make sure that everyone else just listed their first semester of organic chemistry and left out the 2nd semester of organic chemistry.

yes you left the 2nd semester out or no you typed in the 2nd semester of organic chemistry?

My lab and lecture are separate and add up to 4 semester units but when I converted it into quarter units, it didn't meet the minimum requirement. I added the second semester of ochem (just lecture) just to be safe.

Got UCSF secondary email today...that timer is making me restless.

weird I went to a UC school and our 'general biology' courses are not easily distinguishable as what UCSF wants.... what is up with that. I feel that UCI has courses that do not have corresponding labs for general biology like a semester school does (e.g. zoology w/ lab, basic bio w/ lab). Its like bio 93, 94, 97 w/o labs then like some bio writing labs or w/e. -___-. now im trying to get into a CC to complete a zoology course w/ lab. to ensure I fulfill that requirement.

How long did it take you gys to finish UCSF biographical essays...I received the secondary invite yesterday and started working on my essays right away but so far just finished first 3...and I am hitting a wall already...this is my last secondary left (I am done with other 10)....I think I won't be done with this until this weekend .....am I taking too long?

weird I went to a UC school and our 'general biology' courses are not easily distinguishable as what UCSF wants.... what is up with that. I feel that UCI has courses that do not have corresponding labs for general biology like a semester school does (e.g. zoology w/ lab, basic bio w/ lab). Its like bio 93, 94, 97 w/o labs then like some bio writing labs or w/e. -___-. now im trying to get into a CC to complete a zoology course w/ lab. to ensure I fulfill that requirement.
I think you'll be fine. :) My friend who went to UCI got accepted into UCSF and didn't have to do extra labs. Her upper division labs satisfied the requirement.

How do we check our status for UCSF once our secondary has been completed? I only received a payment confirmation e-mail, but nothing else regarding a portal to check, and nothing on my AADSAS.

How do we check our status for UCSF once our secondary has been completed? I only received a payment confirmation e-mail, but nothing else regarding a portal to check, and nothing on my AADSAS.

same here..i'm hoping everything's alright ..

What courses we can take to fulfill Psychology requirements for UCSF.

Hi. I see this thread is all bout ucsf's secondary...and I was wondering for the first question regarding Describe any practical or observational experience (paid or voluntary). Do you know if they are asking us to just tell about ONE experience or multiple. I knw in a different questions they say just talk about one...but what bout this question? What do you all think?

Anyone having a problem submitting the secondary? I've done everything and paid the fee since like last Wednesday, but when I go to submit I keep seeing this:

no.png
You must either apply for and be granted a fee waiver or submit your supp app fee payment.

no.png
Your supplemental application is not ready to submit.

And the timer keeps ticking... :cool:

What courses we can take to fulfill Psychology requirements for UCSF.
I took a class called "General Psychology".

Hi. I see this thread is all bout ucsf's secondary...and I was wondering for the first question regarding Describe any practical or observational experience (paid or voluntary). Do you know if they are asking us to just tell about ONE experience or multiple. I knw in a different questions they say just talk about one...but what bout this question? What do you all think?

I talked about 2 experiences at 2 different dental practices, because they did not specifically state "mention just ONE experience".

Ok thanks! Also, in the Discuss one activity or experience...I m thining any job would be ok right? B/c that s under "work experience" your thoughts?

Also, dymm... from the message it seems there is a problem w/ the app fee. Did you get the confirmation in the email that your payment was recieved?

Yea I did... I think I'm gona have to call them on Monday.... thankfully my app isn't due by then =/

As for your question about Statement#2.. I actually talked about an experience that I stated in my PS =_= Hopefully they won't throw out my app because of that. But talking about your job should be more than acceptable imho.

Ok. Thanks! :) And yes, def call them Monday. And no... I have read a bunch of other threads about how ppl talked about stuff from there PS and it's almost impossible not to, bc PS usually consists of a little bit of everything. So you're def ok :)

Yea I'm worried because I didn't talk about a specific experience/job that I listed under "Professional Exp" section of AADSAS you know? Anywho.. good luck with your secondary =)

That timer is real messed up...especially if it won't let you submit. I hope they pick up the phone when you call'em. When I called them a month back, they didn't pick up and called me back like 5 days afterwards. The good thing is, even if they don't pick up, your voice message will be recorded before your deadline so you'll be safe...but seriously the timer is unnecessary. We're all racing to get these supplemental applications in anyway right?

Has anyone recieved an application complete or application confirmation e-mail? I only recieved a payment reciept e-mail. Thank you. :D

I emailed them yesterday and they called me back within a few hours. Talked to a very nice lady and she said there was a problem on their end but they took care of it.

Thank you voyager. yea definitely email them if you have any questions or if you are having problems with app process. They responded to me in a few hours!

Last edited:
I submitted mine yesterday and just got a receipt from Kathryn G. about payment (never had problem submitting)...I think you are fine .....did you fill out the payment information ...there is a little "continue" button on that page that can be easily missed ....also try to use a different computer or browser.

I have noticed that they are really quick replying to emails....so send them an email listed under contact us...i got my reply within 4 hours.