UCSF secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

Eraserhead

there is a god!

check your status online!

Members don't see this ad.

def mention the fact that u r homosexual. they love that in the apps!

any out of staters get the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who care, it seems as though the UCSF secondary has no essays (!), at least as far as I can see, although I know last year they had some about challenges and disadvantages... unless you are applying to the MD/PHD program (there's a few) and there's one very short essay for the Joint UCB-UCSF program just asking why the program is right for you and what kind of research you might like to do for the master's thesis.

Hi DoctorKevin,

As I can recall, you applied as disadvantaged, right?
If so, did you have to write an additional essay for this?
Just wondering 'cause I applied as disadvantaged and hope to not write anything!

Thanks for your help

Nah, I just looked over the app briefly, maybe they will send another request for information later.... to people they have more questions for.... something like UCI's disadvantaged application seems necessary at any school that takes these factors into account. I hope they do anyway, its my understanding that they strive to take people that are likely to go back and serve certain communities in CA....

My status page still says that my AMCAS has been received and is ready for review. It says it was 'received' August 7th, which is a while after it was transmitted. When were you guys' AMCAS apps rec'd? I'm out of state btw. But I'd really love to interview there!!!

AMCAS Data 7/28/2003
Secondary Application Requested 8/14/2003

I got one today as well.

No love for soonerpillow. :( I'm also out of state, though, so no biggie. I'm probably not very high on their priority list.

Congrats to you guys that got it, though. :D

Did anyone try opening the PDF file? I think it's missing some words (eg. about the recommenders' names)?

is anyone having trouble with their RTF file? i can't type anything into the fields. i keep getting red correction marks instead of what i'm typing. anyone know how to get around this? thanks

i'm just printing out the PDF file, and using the good-old typewriter :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you have to go to highlight changes or track changes and tell it not to track the changes...

Its currently turned on and that means anything you change is like underlined and red....

Don't use the typewriter its not worth the time....! :)

oh i didn't know that the app could be saved as a word file. thanks

Do we send LORs to the same address as the secondary?

Also, if we're having a central filing service (NOT a premed committee) mailing the letters, which box should we check on the app? Thanks guys.

Originally posted by qwerty one
Also, if we're having a central filing service (NOT a premed committee) mailing the letters, which box should we check on the app? Thanks guys.

i checked the first box cuz the second box says that your school doesn't have a letter service at all.

looks like you send them to the same address.... with ATTN: LORs I would imagine....

For those who are typing the application on the computer, does anyone have problems with putting an "X" in boxes for questions like which program you're applying to and which format will the letters of rec be sent? When I tried to do it, I get either an X that's outside the box, or the box disappears with just the X. If anyone knows how to fix it, please let us know. thanks.

Congrats all on the secondary...are any of you out-of-state? I checked my app and seems that there's no love yet...i'm on the system but it just shows amcas received, no secondary...

good luck!

No love here either, but I'm outta state too...here's to hoping! :)

-Ice

Originally posted by Jtak
i checked the first box cuz the second box says that your school doesn't have a letter service at all.

Cool, that's what I thought. Thanks.

anyone know how many interviews are conducted, and how many interviewees are accepted?

it says in faq they send out 1400 secondaries, so i'm wondering how many get interviewed considering the little additional information the secondary gives.

550 interviewed
237 accepted
141 enrolled

SRC: USNEWS.com

Here's hoping for an interview to all you guys!

Where can I get numbers like these (interviewed and accepted) for each school? Do I have to pay USNews? Is there a thread?

for those of you who received secondaries, when did UCSF say they received your amcas?

My primary app was received on 7/28/03
My request for a supplemental was on 8/20/03

So this means that you shouldn't worry, my request was only 2 days ago, you might be next! :)

-Ice

P.S. Why are you so grumpy, anyways? :)

Originally posted by speedbird001
For those who are typing the application on the computer, does anyone have problems with putting an "X" in boxes for questions like which program you're applying to and which format will the letters of rec be sent? When I tried to do it, I get either an X that's outside the box, or the box disappears with just the X. If anyone knows how to fix it, please let us know. thanks.

Hi there!
Just double click on it and a dialog box should pop up, change the default to checked and voila!

BananaSplit

Thanks, ice, I guess i've got a week or so to wait. not that I really need another secondary right now :D
and I'm grumpy in a good way ;)

For those who filled out the secondary, it seems kind of ambiguous in the LOR area...it says "This packet will include letters from two of my 1. ____ and 2. _____" I'm assuming I just put the names of the recommenders...or do they want title/department (i.e. science, history, math, etc. etc.)

and it also says you can attach a 2-pg supplement if you want to update on certain activities. did you guys interpret this as rein to include a short essay (about an activity that you recently engaged in) or pretty much ignore it unless you had something really stellar to talk about?

thanks!